Starting....

dcjes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I’m going to attempt to install my Alpine ILX-207 in the car today. I know the backup camera will be messed up. I’m looking at replacing the camera, just not today. Wish me luck.
Will post photos once it’s installed.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
OK... GOOD LUCK :)

What do you know about the backup camera what makes you believe it will not work with the Alpine Unit ??

OP
OP

dcjes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
It works, just looks terrible. It’s a very bad quality fish eye look. I’ll snap a pic later. I am not at all impressed with the metra dashkit or working harness. I’ll grab a pic of the dash kit also for y’all.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It works, just looks terrible. It’s a very bad quality fish eye look. I’ll snap a pic later. I am not at all impressed with the metra dashkit or working harness. I’ll grab a pic of the dash kit also for y’all.
Metra suuuucks but sometimes it's all we got. If you used the axxess harness I'm sorry lol. There's a thread on here that goes in depth in the camera wires and supposedly there's multiple wires for the camera and if you connect certain ones it'll change the look. I'll search for it real quick. I've never installed a radio in a base civic so I can't verify. There's also a thread to retain the factory mic since its actually connected to the radio but it'll require some soldering

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
This has been talked about before on this forum.

The Honda Read camera has 2 Digital Control lines, that set the Wide/normal/Narrow mode of the camera.
The Honda Radio supports these 2 lines, and can control them.. your Aftermarket Radio does not.
So you will either need to pre-wire those two lines to the mode you want, or fit a 3 way switch to control them manually.

If you leave these two control inputs to the camera OPEN, the camera will run in WIDE Angle mode, and hence your Fish-Eye view.

Also, your OEM camera is looking for a 6v power supply, which it gets from the Honda Oem Radio.
you will also need to provide that 6v power for the camera, as your aftermarket unit (most likely) does not have the 6v power output.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I know the fish eye look you are talking about. I got the same results on mine. It’s because it utilizes the wide angle view and can’t be switched. I realized this when I got in my girlfriends hatchback ex, which is stock, and was reversing and I selected wide angle and it looks pretty much the same. The normal view is the one most people use. Too bad the aftermarket doesn’t use the normal view instead of the wide angle view. But my kenwood has a camera that can be paired with it to give me all the angles plus an overhead shot. I will be getting it in the upcoming months for sure

Last edited:

dkizl

First Name
derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
So I have a 2016 civic lx base and just installed the pioneer avh-210ex and have this same issue. Had 3 angle options with the factory radio but now only have one option, and it's pointed straight down at my bumper... I was told by crutchfield to put factory back in, make sure its set to the angle I want and put new radio back in.... What is the final verdict on a fix for this issue?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I have a 2016 civic lx base and just installed the pioneer avh-210ex and have this same issue. Had 3 angle options with the factory radio but now only have one option, and it's pointed straight down at my bumper... I was told by crutchfield to put factory back in, make sure its set to the angle I want and put new radio back in.... What is the final verdict on a fix for this issue?
SORRY -- in this case Crutchfied are talking a load of Guesses and are totally wrong.

There are two digital control line that go from the OEM Radio to the Rear view camera, that control, the viewing angle mode.
IF they are not connected (as in your case with the aftermarket radio), the camera will go to WIDE ANGLE mode.

Looks like Crutchfield is catching DEALER BS-itus !!!

In an ideal world, if they supplied the Aftermarket Radio for your Civic, they should have included a harness to at least put a select-able Digital mode onto those two wires, so that you get the most acceptable fixed camera angle., or even better a 3 way selector switch. Unfortunately, the Aftermarket radio will not have that Camera Control output pair of wires, or the APP to control them.

Ouhuyy

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
In the harness with the camera wires, cut the tan wire.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I will be getting an aftermarket camera that pairs with my headunit to give me all my angles back. The only thing that will not work is the guidelines will still not move with the steering

Ouhuyy

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
What does this do by cutting it?
There are two wires, pink and tan in the factory camera harness. I forgot the numbers to the pins but I believe it's 10 pink and 9 tan. They control how the camera outputs in an aftermarket head unit. Both wires uncut are grounded which gives you fish eye. Cut the tan and keep pink and you get angle 2 and cut pink and keep tan is angle 3. Cut tan and keep pink is in my opinion the best looking view since you can still see everything. On my Kenwood 8905s this is cut tan keep pink.

Honda Civic 10th gen Starting.... received_232533187629902

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are two wires, pink and tan in the factory camera harness. I forgot the numbers to the pins but I believe it's 10 pink and 9 tan. They control how the camera outputs in an aftermarket head unit. Both wires uncut are grounded which gives you fish eye. Cut the tan and keep pink and you get angle 2 and cut pink and keep tan is angle 3. Cut tan and keep pink is in my opinion the best looking view since you can still see everything. On my Kenwood 8905s this is cut tan keep pink.

received_232533187629902.jpeg
But that view looks the same as mine which is wide view
Honda Civic 10th gen Starting.... 23F5F874-8534-4363-9A01-A706F51BD1CC

Last edited: