Starting to feel less special.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I love the R but. Man they are slapping that engine in everything. It's in the R, the Accord, the Ariel Atom, the Vandal One and now the Acura RDX.

Although they somehow got 560 stable HP out of it in the vandel one.

I mean it's really just a civic hatch back . 90 percent identical to the sport touring the main thing that set it apart was its engine. But dang now they putting it in everything.
Sponsored

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I love the R but. Man they are slapping that engine in everything. It's in the R, the Accord, the Ariel Atom, the Vandal One and now the Acura RDX.

Although they somehow got 560 stable HP out of it in the vandel one.

I mean it's really just a civic hatch back . 90 percent identical to the sport touring the main thing that set it apart was its engine. But dang now they putting it in everything.

I disagree. the most important and distinctive performance item about the CTR, IMO, is the suspension configuration and tuning.....and I read in several places that the 2.0L as configured for the CTR is noticeably different than the one in the Accord.

If the CTR does not feel noticeably different than driving an Accord 2.0L, or a non-CTR hatch......maybe you have the wrong car :)

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Why does that matter? It’s like older B series engines they put very similar variants in most of their cars at the time. B16, B16b, B18B, GSR, B18c5 etc. Obviously the R got special models (which this R does too) but they took very similar engines to save money and used them all over the lineup. That’s how production cars work this isn’t a McLaren with a one off motor.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I disagree. the most important and distinctive performance item about the CTR, IMO, is the suspension configuration and tuning.....and I read in several places that the 2.0L as configured for the CTR is noticeably different than the one in the Accord.

If the CTR does not feel noticeably different than driving an Accord 2.0L, or a non-CTR hatch......maybe you have the wrong car :)
Never said it wasn't different then a non CRT hatch drive wise. Exterior, interior.. just about whole car is same except engine and yes suspention. My point is the engine though. And they getting that accord up there with tune. But you fail to comment on the other three cars lol. Notice you only picked the lesser of the 5 cars to compare :) and no I got the right car just hate they making it just a little less special spreading its engine all over the place.
And if you dont think that Ariel or Vandel can beat the R with it's own engine well...

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why does that matter? It’s like older B series engines they put very similar variants in most of their cars at the time. B16, B16b, B18B, GSR, B18c5 etc. Obviously the R got special models (which this R does too) but they took very similar engines to save money and used them all over the lineup. That’s how production cars work this isn’t a McLaren with a one off motor.
You said it variants in THIER line up. The Atom and the Vandel are not Honda Companies. They selling to the enemy. :)

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go to a car meet they'll be all over your shit

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Apart from interior bits, it’s not that close to the normal hatch.

The entire body / chassis is stiffened, wider fenders, completely diff suspension, transmission, engine, and some of the interior. Obviously lots of aero (real or not).

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
You bought a car because you thought it’s engine was special? Please let me know what’s so special about a 4 cylinder engine? Nearly every compact sedan and truck has a 4 cylinder. It’s extremely common. Now if it was v8 or the Lamborghini v10 you can complain.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't mind me.

Honda Civic 10th gen Starting to feel less special. giphy

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
While the CTR is a good performer. it is still a $35K Civic not a Ferrari. You can't seriously expect them to give it a 2.0 turbocharged 4 cylinder that's exclusive to the Civic and expect them not to put it into any of their other cars even though it makes sense. Chevy does the same with their corvette, ford does the same with the Focus RS, etc.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
What do you think the K20C1 is? They've been putting K20's in stuff since the turn of the century. Putting de-tuned versions in everything is just a compliment.

And as everyone says, this car is not about the engine - it's about the total package, which does include a very special engine.

I also like that the Type R forum now has regular bashers from the non-R forums. Some need to find new hobbies, as they're starting to sound repetitive.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
The days of exclusive engines are long gone. Auto makers look for every efficiency they can, and sharing parts and major components across models and even companies is the way of the future. Just look at the new Supra.

TypeWavey

Free The Wave
First Name
Spike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2016 Aprilia RSV4
Country flag
LOL @ being mad that your 4 cyliner engine is shared with an Ariel & Vandal

That's more of a compliment imo. Haven't Ariel's always used Honda engines?

The Accord's engine may be similar, but it's detuned and has a smaller turbo.