Starting search for used Civic Type R - questions and newbie

Integra.thanh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Country flag
Hi all,

I'm starting my search for my Type R and I have a couple questions on the current status of type R's. I'm not new to the Honda game (I come from an Integra Type R, RX-8, and currently WRX) but I'm used to honda-tech being a wealth of information so here so I'm a bit not up to date on my info. Plus being older and not having homies in the car game anymore, finding this information is a bit tough.

• What is market price for a used 2018 Type R below 10k mileage? so far ~$34k, yes?
  • What websites should i use for this search?
  • Are there any "welcome to owning a Type R" threads where they give handy links on owner tips?
    • If not, what resources do you use as an owner of the Type R?
    • For instance, what are the common issues and remarks of ownership of the car?

Thank you for reading. I'm glad these cars are no longer in the ADM price range and I'm looking forward to this experience!

- Thanh
Sponsored

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I miss Honda-Tech.com. That was my go to website over a decade ago.

1. As long as you can stay at least $2-3k under MSRP for a used CTR, then you are doing good. Many dealerships are charging as much as a new CTR, if not more for those currently selling without ADM, for a used one.

2. There are other used car search engines available.

3. This website is a good source of info for the FK8. There is a subforum dedicated to common issues the FK8 has.

There are so many more dealerships selling with ADM than without.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Be patient. Don't let any sales folk pressure you. I'd keep my eye out here in the Classifieds for the 32 range. If you can score an MSRP 2019, I would probably just go for that as opposed to buying used. People will let you know here from time to time when MSRP R's pop up, or if you ask, people will let you know where to find em.

Acc0rd79

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2013 Nissan GTR, 2001 Honda Prelude, 1991 Honda Prelude Si
Country flag
the 2k difference between used and new is a no brainer, buy New! I just bought mine for 400 over MSRP but there are dealers across the country selling at MSRP now. I hate to say it but why get used goods that someone might have dogged out over the year or two they owned it vs a new one for so little between a used and new?

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
If you want used just wait it out. Used Type R prices will drop because there is now way they'll get a asking price that's on par with a new car. I get notifications on used Type Rs all the time telling me the price has been dropped.

wayoutwest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R-19644
Country flag
I'd say that you should just try and buy a new on at/around MSRP. When you factor in cost and interest rate, there isn't much (if any premium). I bought my brand new 2018 for less than a simliar 2017 with 25K miles on it was listed on CarMax. But i took 19 months to find the right car/deal. Your timeline may be different.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Hi all,

I'm starting my search for my Type R and I have a couple questions on the current status of type R's. I'm not new to the Honda game (I come from an Integra Type R, RX-8, and currently WRX) but I'm used to honda-tech being a wealth of information so here so I'm a bit not up to date on my info. Plus being older and not having homies in the car game anymore, finding this information is a bit tough.

• What is market price for a used 2018 Type R below 10k mileage? so far ~$34k, yes?
  • What websites should i use for this search?
  • Are there any "welcome to owning a Type R" threads where they give handy links on owner tips?
    • If not, what resources do you use as an owner of the Type R?
    • For instance, what are the common issues and remarks of ownership of the car?

Thank you for reading. I'm glad these cars are no longer in the ADM price range and I'm looking forward to this experience!

- Thanh
I dont know about other areas but here in NC prices are still stupid. I have a 17 and both my friends have 18s. We all went and inquired about trading and were told 34 to 36k trade in... on a used one. So no telling what they are gonna try and sell it for. They got a new 19 and want 38,500 for it. I only paid 32k and can trade it for 34 to 36k... good luck finding a deal. These cars are not dropping in price even used as there just aren't many of them. A lot of dealers are now part of that kelly blue book certified price and my price used on blue book is 34 to 36k. And the dealers are honoring it.

You also gotta remember in the U S last year 325,000 civic were sold of which only 4500 too 5000 were Rs. They aren't real common to let go for a deal. Heck we are only into the 30k number plates for the whole world over 3 model years so...dealers know they ain't gotta make no deals.

Last edited:

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I was in the same boat as you a month or so ago. (Im ex-ITR, ex-WRX, and ex-honda-tech too LOL).

Check www.autotempest.com. Its a search engine that checks Autotrader, Cars.com, eBay, Craiglist etc all at the same time, just put in Civic 2017-2019 29-35k, manual and how far out from your zip code you want , and sort by price.

I found a mint 17 with 10k miles Honda CPO for 32,9. 7yr-100k warranty included.

As others have mentioned, buyer beware - dealers like to play games with used as well as new. Just be a savvy shopper and do due diligence, you'll be fine.

Only other thing Id mention, go ahead and budget another 1500 or so for a 2nd set of wheels/tires. The factories are sticky but man sooooo many people (myself included) have busted rim/tires on potholes etc - even being careful, its very easy - and it sucks.

Best of luck to you - the car is truly incredible to drive.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I found a mint 17 with 10k miles Honda CPO for 32,9. 7yr-100k warranty included.
I mean I guess that's a deal.. but for 2k more you get brand new never drivin and 2 model years newer. Plus a volume knob..lol..couldn't help.myself. and if your financing that 2k comes too about 23 bucks a month for brand new . I personally know of a type R being traded in that us an 18 got about 12k miles on it has had engine blown once and been in a wreck. Its all been fixed like new but think the dealers gonna tell you. New.. I would only buy new for only a 2 or so k difference. If like 5k plus... might consider it. But havnt bought a used car in decades simply because cars get treated like crap.

Acc0rd79

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2013 Nissan GTR, 2001 Honda Prelude, 1991 Honda Prelude Si
Country flag
I mean I guess that's a deal.. but for 2k more you get brand new never drivin and 2 model years newer. Plus a volume knob..lol..couldn't help.myself. and if your financing that 2k comes too about 23 bucks a month for brand new . I personally know of a type R being traded in that us an 18 got about 12k miles on it has had engine blown once and been in a wreck. Its all been fixed like new but think the dealers gonna tell you. New.. I would only buy new for only a 2 or so k difference. If like 5k plus... might consider it. But havnt bought a used car in decades simply because cars get treated like crap.
+1 for new at that difference. Type Rs are being bought to be raced and dogged out. If it was 5 to 10k less sure, but it's not. Just my 2 cents.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
+1 for new at that difference. Type Rs are being bought to be raced and dogged out. If it was 5 to 10k less sure, but it's not. Just my 2 cents.
Plus at 10k miles if owner was hard on car the 1500 plus tires are crap too. The tires alone are almost worth the used vs new difference

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Sure - if you can afford it, and can find a sticker priced new car, new is better, but in my case 33,000 was absolutely the top of my budget.

Also new a new 2019 is 36,695 so in my case $3795 more - significantly more -was just no way to fit in my budget. I had found and was in talks with a dealer on a 19 at sticker before buying my 17, but just couldn't make the #s work.

For Honda to give a car CPO there has to have been no bodywork done, tires certain tread depth (mine are nearly new specs), brake pad thickness etc, all have to be met. And you could argue 7/100 is better warranty than the 3/36 the car has new, I can tell you I sleep well at night. :D

Basically the message Im trying to get to the OP, if you can't quite swing new, there are solid deals on solid cars out there, just have to do your legwork.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For Honda to give a car CPO there has to have been no bodywork done, tires certain tread depth (mine are nearly new specs), brake pad thickness etc, all have to be met. And you could argue 7/100 is better warranty than the 3/36 the car has new, I can tell you I sleep well at night.
If you can trust the dealer.. my si was sold as CPO. And I checked it on the lot. It was sold with a cracked windshield, wore down tires and damaged rims that were ground down and polished. They took off for my trade saying to certify it those had to be fixed and they turned around and sold it as is. Dealers are crap.

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
If you can trust the dealer.. my si was sold as CPO. And I checked it on the lot. It was sold with a cracked windshield, wore down tires and damaged rims that were ground down and polished. They took off for my trade saying to certify it those had to be fixed and they turned around and sold it as is. Dealers are crap.
Yeah definitely sounds like a crappy dealer!
No one would buy that as a CPO.
Sponsored