Standard tunes when using a Short Ram Intake?

Valkyria90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Sedan 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
I recently bought Ktuner 1.2 as well as a PRL Short Ram Intake. These arrived in the mail a few days ago and I haven't gotten around to installing them yet.
Information I have found up untill now has been that running a SRI with the included tunes should be fine. I just now found an older thread where someone says the included basemaps are only meant for the stock airbox, and I should get a custom tune on a dyno when using an aftermarket air filter.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/newbie-question-about-included-tunes.19889/page-2
The rule is... If you're placing the MAF into another housing that's NOT the stock airbox, you should have the car custom tuned, since you're most likely changing the signal to the MAF.

Sticking a different filter in the stock box, adding a silicone intake arm in place of the corrugated arm, etc; it will not change the way the MAF is seeing airflow through it enough to call for recalibration.

Stock airbox/housing = any of the supplied maps will work fine.

Aftermarket MAF housing = tuning required.
Problem for me is that in my country, there really isn't anyone offering tuning services like this, and Honda Civic is a relatively rare car here so I believe there is some missing competance anyway if someone were to do it.

So my question is, should I refrain from installing the SRI since I do not have any way to custom tune my car locally? Can I install it, but not expect any power gains? Are there tunes available online for cars that are stock, except the SRI?
Car is Honda Civic 2017 Sedan 1.5L Turbo (Non-Si)

Thank you :)
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
You don’t need a tune with a short ram. Been running my car over 6000miles with hondata. No problems.

OP
OP

Valkyria90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You don’t need a tune with a short ram. Been running my car over 6000miles with hondata. No problems.
That's what I thought too, but since I don't have much experience modifying and tuning cars I get confused by posts like the one I quoted.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also, even with switching to a race maf (If you have one) and a short ram intake (I'm using a homemade one - **Myxal SRI-CAI**), I have had no issues to date.

OP
OP

Valkyria90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the street-edition of the PRL SRI. Thank you for all your reassurances!
Will have all my mods installed and tuned if this rain ever stops :D
Sponsored