Sport Mode Dashboard lights

PWP19SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 16 HRV EX
Country flag
I did a small amount of research and can’t find a cause for the following.

I was doing a small amount of spirited driving and had the shift lights on for some fun, while in sport mode. When I shifted at 6k exactly from 1st to 2nd, I noticed that the sport mode lights on the dashboard flashed. Nothing crazy, but seemed strange.

Does anyone have a clue as to why that would happen? I initially thought that I might have hit the limiter, but it was too soon of a shift, nor did I hear anything that would indicate that.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
It was a momentary rpm spike upon clutch release it can raise up to around 300 rpm and trigger the factory "shift lights".

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I'm going with what he said. Nothing to worry about here.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They come on as you approach the limiter so you know it’s about time to shift. Kinda like the dots go up as you get closer and closer.

OP
OP
PWP19SI

PWP19SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 16 HRV EX
Country flag
Thanks @PowerPerLiter & @REBELXSi :)

Appreciate the quick responses! I think I get what you’re saying. It’s a bit frustrating though, if this is something to avoid, especially since I shifted early.

Also, this is something to NOT worry about, right?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Thanks @PowerPerLiter & @REBELXSi :)

Appreciate the quick responses! I think I get what you’re saying. It’s a bit frustrating though, if this is something to avoid, especially since I shifted early.

Also, this is something to NOT worry about, right?
It's a feature. Nothing at all to worry about you just shifted a little early lol

And your welcome.

OP
OP
PWP19SI

PWP19SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 16 HRV EX
Country flag
They come on as you approach the limiter so you know it’s about time to shift. Kinda like the dots go up as you get closer and closer.
Okay, that makes me feel more at ease...

I know it sounds strange, but man, NEVER would have questioned something like this 15 years ago with any of my tuned cars. I never over reved back then, but I also didn’t have a dashboard like I do now that blinks or has sport mode that is prepared to warm me that redline is approaching.

Simpler times :dunno:

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I know it sounds strange, but man, NEVER would have questioned something like this 15 years ago with any of my tuned cars. I never over reved back then, but I also didn’t have a dashboard like I do now that blinks or has sport mode that is prepared to warm me that redline is approaching.

Yeah, I used to bounce off that limiter like you got a prize for it. But then we had vtec “yo” and it hit it in a hurry. The Si has had the lights for awhile now. Makes it a lot easier when you’re more concentrated on the road than the tach.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

I don't recommend it but you could bounce off the limiter and not worry about it. It's there for a reason.

OP
OP
PWP19SI

PWP19SI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 16 HRV EX
Country flag
I don't recommend it but you could bounce off the limiter and not worry about it. It's there for a reason.
Absolutely agree with you, the rev limiter is a good thing and I’m happy it’s there, esp for a car that’s stock. I definitely never have or ever want to hit the limiter.

The goals have changed from then to now. Back then it was build it and tune it to be as mean as I could. As where now, I would rather just enjoy it for what it is and MAYBE down the line play with it a little, but not to the magnitude of how I used to.

Yeah, I used to bounce off that limiter like you got a prize for it. But then we had vtec “yo” and it hit it in a hurry. The Si has had the lights for awhile now. Makes it a lot easier when you’re more concentrated on the road than the tach.
Not going to lie and it has to be a nostalgic thing, but I do miss the scream of VTEC along with the secondary butterfly sounds from my past b18c1 Civic. Something about it that just made you smile.

Yeah, the lights caught me off guard and made me wonder.

Thanks again guys for giving me peace of mind! :beer:
Sponsored