Sport Hatch-Just tweeters and powered subwoofer

fsucutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red EX-L Hatchback
Country flag
According to JBL the tweeters come with a 12dB/octave passive crossover network. So I don't think I would need a bass block for these tweeters. I am more concerned if I need to get any adapters to hook up the front speaker wire to the tweeters/tweeters to the front oem speakers.
Hey pcsavvy, really lookin' forward to hearing if the under-seats fit well, I have yet to properly measure and judge if any will fit - if I understand, you have a hatch, but have NOT installed an under-seat sub yet, right? Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
pcsavvy

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have not installed the powered subwoofer yet. I am going to get that done professionally. I am going to install the tweeters this coming weekend if the weather allows.

OP
OP
pcsavvy

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got the JBL GT019T tweeters today. Been experimenting with how to mount them onto the tweeter sails. So far I have the tweeters, the sail panels for the front, and Posi-taps tap it for 16-18 awg.
Unfortunately, I am going to have to take my car to the local dealer cause I am getting a "Bad USB Device" "Check Owners Manual" error randomly when I use the front USB port to play music from my IPhone 7+. So I am going in tomorrow to have it checked out. I am thinking maybe have them install the tweeters for me. I had injured both my arms at work so I am not sure if pulling the door panels will cause a flare up of pain and discomfort so it might be best to have it installed by someone.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
The sail panels can be taken off without taking the door panels off, actually. Though it won't give you a lot of slack on the wires for putting on the posi-taps. I bought two extra OEM tweeters and cut the connectors off of them and wired those to my new tweeters instead.

OP
OP
pcsavvy

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car did not come with tweeters so I thought I would need to access the door speakers to hook up the tweeters. I have the tweeters all put together so I am going to head out to the dealer soon to get the radio checked out. All that is needed is replace the OEM sails with the tweeters and tap into the front door speaker wires.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Ah ok, I was thinking your car had tweeters from the factory. Yes, in that case you are right - you'll have to get into the door to get signal for your new tweeters.

OP
OP
pcsavvy

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The dealer did a hard reset to clear up the random "Bad USB Device" error code on my radio. So we will see if that solves it. Went to auto audio install shop the service guy recommended and had my tweeters installed. I am glad I had it professionally installed cause one set of taps did not work so the installer ended up soldering the wires to the factory speaker wires.
Oh my god, the difference in sound is worth it. The difference in both sound quality and volume is great. Totally worth doing in the LX or Sport.
The next project is to add a powered subwoofer.

OP
OP
pcsavvy

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a quick follow up. Been riding around in my car with the new tweeters installed and I must say I love it. The sound quality and volume has increased so I don't have to crank up the radio as loud as before. I hear more subtle sounds in the music, the sound stage sounds closer to my ears, and the music has a more 3-D type of effect. The music seems to sweep around from one side to the other side of the car. I debating on adding on tweeters in the rear doors to add a bit more effect.
Even though I can hear the bass a bit clearer with tweeters installed I still would like a bit more thump in the low end so I am saving my money and going to install a powered subwoofer in my car. The install guy looked under my driver's seat and said I had plenty of room to put in a powered subwoofer. We will see.
So far I have had the "Bad USB Device" error pop up once on my radio since I had it "fixed". So I will wait and see if that will become an ongoing annoyance or not.
For those who have the LX or Sport, this is a great way to up the quality of your sound without a ton of money and inconvenience. Will it shake your car? No, but depending upon the music you listen to it makes it sound clearer and more defined. And it is a job you can do yourself with basic knowledge of putting things together and apart. I would like to thank the forum members who have written about this DIY for their cars. I got great guidance. I would also like to thank the folks who responded to my inquiries.

OP
OP
pcsavvy

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got the Cerwin Vega 10 inch powered subwoofer from Amazon and tomorrow I will head over to the installer and get it installed.
About the "Bad USB device error code" it did pop up once soon after the "fix". Darn I thought it didn't work but other than that one time it didn't come up again. Last week, I had to switch cars so I pulled out the USB cable to use it in another car and lo behold the casing around the usb connection end popped open. Gee, it had come apart and I didn't notice. I am using a different cable, one with a braided covering so hopefully that will be more durable and won't have any more issues.

I will let you know how the car sounds with the new subwoofer installed.
I am still loving those tweeters, they had add so much more depth and clarity to the sound.

Mikeguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got the Cerwin Vega 10 inch powered subwoofer from Amazon and tomorrow I will head over to the installer and get it installed.
About the "Bad USB device error code" it did pop up once soon after the "fix". Darn I thought it didn't work but other than that one time it didn't come up again. Last week, I had to switch cars so I pulled out the USB cable to use it in another car and lo behold the casing around the usb connection end popped open. Gee, it had come apart and I didn't notice. I am using a different cable, one with a braided covering so hopefully that will be more durable and won't have any more issues.

I will let you know how the car sounds with the new subwoofer installed.
I am still loving those tweeters, they had add so much more depth and clarity to the sound.
Installed the Cerwin Vega powered under seat subwoofer myself. Used amp kit from Amazon and a few hours of my time. Sound is amazing! The JBL-GTO9T tweeters are fantastic as well! Well worth the money!
Honda Civic 10th gen Sport Hatch-Just tweeters and powered subwoofer IMG_20170219_150508
Honda Civic 10th gen Sport Hatch-Just tweeters and powered subwoofer IMG_20170219_153740

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Can you take a picture of the sub as you would have it? Or does it poke out? I really want these subs so I don't have to take up truck space.

gabrielanez97

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
I have the Cerwin Vega underseat powered subwoofer, and its awesome. Fills the cabin with bass. Also replaced the tweeters with a JBL-GTO9T set. Good highs and bass you can feel.
IMG_20170219_153740.jpg
IMG_20170219_150508.jpg
How did you installed this on the factory head unit?

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
How did you installed this on the factory head unit?
There are a few write-ups for this somewhere. I'll link them if needed, but most people here tap into their front speakers with a LC2i Line out converter and then send the subwoofer signal from the LC2i to the speakers. Of course, the power wire must be ran from the battery. The ground to a bolt on the car somewhere. The remote wire can come from the LC2i if I'm not mistaken.
Sponsored