Spoon Rigid Collar Reivew

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag
Spoon Rigid Collars Front and Rear
Here is an overview of what the product does.

I was one of the first private parties to attain the Rigid Collars for the FK8 platform in the US. And this is a longterm review.

Installation is difficult and should be done with a 2 or 4 post lift and multiple screw jacks. This is a multi-step process as you should have the car aligned after installation. Do not be afraid to over lube with the supplied anti-seize included with the collars. Lube up the subframe bolts and the collars. Instructions are in Japanese but reference the areas of the subframe where they go and they are numbered to its respective placements.

DO NOT mess up the placement of the collars as they are specific to their hole sizing.

***Note*** careful while dropping the front and rear subframe.

The front, you will find the rack and pinion for steering have little play to bring down the subframe. Be gentle, not forceful you may need to disconnect the rack and pinion to gain additional space for the collars to fit into place correctly.

Rear subframe installation is the difficult one. Should you drop the rear subframe too much you risk damaging the fuel tank/fuel filler nozzle. There is no way to know if you installed the rigid collars right in the rear until you are done. After installation of the rear collars start the vehicle, should a check engine light come on you have messed up by dropping the subframe too low and will need to buy a new fuel tank/nozzle assembly. An internal hose within the fuel tank and nozzle assembly have come apart while you installing the rear rigid collars.

Pricing per axle is $200 depending on where you purchase the part sets from.

In my personal opinion, this is the BEST suspension upgrade you can do to your suspension as you will notice a big difference whether stock or have done some suspension upgrades to your “R”
Noise Vibration and Harshness, steering response, and overall feel are greatly improved. This upgrade acts like welding your subframe to the unibody of the vehicle always keeping your suspension geometry square. After having these installed on my “R” over 8 months I don’t have any complaints but praise for something so simple to improve your driving experience.
the top center bolt shows the collar installed in one area of the rear subframe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Spoon Rigid Collar Reivew ce32f8b6-2050-4854-94f3-f47140bd29b2
Sponsored

Last edited:

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bought my kits & will hopefully get these installed later this week. Thank you for the review.

KeepItLow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Have always heard good thing regarding the Spoon collar kit, may I ask how many pieces is in the FK8 kit? :)

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have always heard good thing regarding the Spoon collar kit, may I ask how many pieces is in the FK8 kit? :)
This is the kit for the front. Rear kit delivers later today. I'm excited to have this done as it is essentially like welding your sub-frames to the chassis.

Honda Civic 10th gen Spoon Rigid Collar Reivew 83030D8C-3013-4047-98E4-FE2790C97045

Honda Civic 10th gen Spoon Rigid Collar Reivew 534D1750-69A9-4458-91FC-8EE4F2E17AED

Honda Civic 10th gen Spoon Rigid Collar Reivew CC14B685-0504-484E-AAB4-454C86726688

Last edited:

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Bracing is silly without this!

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got the front & rear set installed yesterday and with limited driving, so far, I am impressed. Have only done city driving & have not had a chance to push it yet, but just around town (normal driving) I can feel the difference. I'm not going to over sell it as I would imagine that some who are not as focused on minute details may not notice as much or think it was not worth it, but I'm really surprised how well the collars have tightened everything up. Think about all that is attached to your sub frames (motor, suspension, wheels, etc, etc.) Without a better way to describe it, everything feels tighter. Suspension, steering, shifting, listing/diving. I'm really surprised that there would be that much movement of the subframes, but makes sense that it tightens up everything. Even NVH is noticeably reduced. Good mod, thanks a bunch for the initial write up. Feels more like a sophisticated sports car.

Update: Car absolutely handles better. I'm quite surprised to feel how much "spring effect" was eliminated from the subframe/chassis intersection after the collars were installed. Wheels are more planted, especially over uneven or bumpy surfaces. Very surprised that these improved so many different driving dynamics/aspects of the drivetrain & suspension. As usual, well done, Spoon.

Last edited:

Kase Zome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR
Country flag
Got the front & rear set installed yesterday and with limited driving, so far, I am impressed. Have only done city driving & have not had a chance to push it yet, but just around town (normal driving) I can feel the difference. I'm not going to over sell it as I would imagine that some who are not as focused on minute details may not notice as much or think it was not worth it, but I'm really surprised how well the collars have tightened everything up. Think about all that is attached to your sub frames (motor, suspension, wheels, etc, etc.) Without a better way to describe it, everything feels tighter. Suspension, steering, shifting, listing/diving. I'm really surprised that there would be that much movement of the subframes, but makes sense that it tightens up everything. Even NVH is noticeably reduced. Good mod, thanks a bunch for the initial write up. Feels more like a sophisticated sports car.
Thanks for the initial feedback. Can you please comment on the installation process (how long did it take you, things to be aware of, specific order of installation per collar, etc.)? OP states that the rear is tricky and damage to the fuel tank/nozzle may occur. Any tips and tricks on this part?

Thanks.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the initial feedback. Can you please comment on the installation process (how long did it take you, things to be aware of, specific order of installation per collar, etc.)? OP states that the rear is tricky and damage to the fuel tank/nozzle may occur. Any tips and tricks on this part?

Thanks.
Ha, I decided not to do this one myself as it requires a proper lift, screw jacks & alignment rack to complete. I had a local chassis tuning shop do it for me for $300 (including alignment). I didn't want to take any chances especially since I don't have a lift of any kind, screw jacks nor an alignment rack. Easy choice for me.

OP
OP
rajahdat

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag

Update: Car absolutely handles better. I'm quite surprised to feel how much "spring effect" was eliminated from the subframe/chassis intersection after the collars were installed. Wheels are more planted, especially over uneven or bumpy surfaces. Very surprised that these improved so many different driving dynamics/aspects of the drivetrain & suspension. As usual, well done, Spoon.
... and everybody thought I was just drinking the Spoon koolaid. I'm glad the collars exceeded your expectations.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i mean .... rigid collar has been known to make a significant difference on other cars (s2000 for me, personally) so i'm not surprised it made a difference for our cars.

I want to get it but kinda worried for the rear subframe lol. Front seems easy enough.

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Does anyone know the torque specs for the frame bolts? I want to make sure shop torques to correct specs.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So what would this do + a Perrin rear motor mount insert?

Smooth out the NVH from the rear motor mount, or increase the vibration?

Interesting parts I'm intrigued.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This seems a no-brainer based on the video. Why is Honda not doing this at the factory? Please don't say to save money. There are a ton of other things they could eliminate to save money, too.
Sponsored