Splashguards

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
When re-installing the retainer clips, I found it helpful to reach around the back of the panel since it's an open space. There's a secondary surface that the clip goes into. I re-aligned the this surface for the clip to thread into and got it to lock in place.
I was laying on my back and it still just would NOT go back in! Tried using pliers and chipped off part of that black rectangular plastic plate on top with a hole (thankfully the hole is still intact so that piece should still work I hope...) A bit embarrassing because the job seems extremely easy otherwise, everything else was done/no problems, but I'm really stick with getting that damn clip back in. That top plate is just flopping around on... It seems so small for that clip.

Honda Civic 10th gen Splashguards upload_2017-9-23_19-23-30

Honda Civic 10th gen Splashguards upload_2017-9-23_19-22-43

Did you guys just use your fingers? Do I need to work out more or something?!:oops:

*edit* the second one was even worse, I could barely pull it out (with a bunch of "special tools", too) -- haven't even tried putting it in...

P.S. That bumper feels like it's made out of paper, just bending/flopping all over the place...

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated. I have practically no experience with working on cars, but FWIW I did take off a front door panel and put it back on without any trouble whatsoever a few weeks ago, so it's not like I'm completely incapable of using my hands... I don't know why this one is so freakin' hard. :cry:

(Push comes to shove, I'll just use a couple of nuts and bolts with wide washers and be done with it.)

Last edited:

gomarlins3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring Hatch, 2017 Accord EX-L, 2002 S2000
The new splashguards arrived yesterday. May try to install them tomorrow evening.

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
Did you guys just use your fingers? Do I need to work out more or something?!:oops:
@dmitri Those clips should be 2 pieces-the round head on top should actually be a pin like a nail shape. Pull it out, allows the 'fingers' of clip to collapse. Insert clip through mounting holes then re-insert pin. That spreads the clip back out and holds the panels together. I attached a picture of a different style-same idea though.

Honda Civic 10th gen Splashguards IMG_20170924_124621

Last edited:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
@dmitri Those clips should be 2 pieces-the round head on top should actually be a pin like a nail shape. Pull it out, allows the 'fingers' of clip to collapse. Insert clip through mounting holes then re-insert pin. That spreads the clip back out and holds the panels together. I attached a picture of a different style-same idea though.
OMG thank you so much!! I feel like such a moron. I did look at it briefly but it appeared to be one piece (these aren't philips-head)... I must have managed to accidentally pry the pin for it to come out in the first place, without even realizing that... Wow. :oops:

Thank you! All done now (was ridiculously easy). Life is worth living again! :D

Last edited:

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you! All done now (was ridiculously easy). Life is worth living again! :D
:) I broke a bunch of those before I figured it out the first time I tore a car apart. Lots of trips to the junk yard back then!;)

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Speaking of recovering broken parts... I've got another question.

Does anyone have any idea what this one might be called? That's where that clip goes into (in the rear bumper).

Honda Civic 10th gen Splashguards upload_2017-9-24_16-58-55

I've just looked for at least an hour at parts stores online, and haven't found it. Found the infamous clip that goes into it, but not this broken piece... Problem is I don't even know what words to look for... bracket? washer? fastener? clip-nut-hole? :)

It'll probably hold as is, if I just put it in (given that the holes themselves are OK, the clip should hold them both in place well enough), but I'd much rather get that part new/whole if I can help it.

Thanks!

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@dmitri
It looks like a style of 'clip nut'.

My phone doesn't like the web page so I can't screen shot, but go to hondapartsnetwork, click on "interior/bumper" and scroll down to "under cover". Off to the right it shows the wheel well area with some clips. Not sure, but is that what you are looking for?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
@dmitri
It looks like a style of 'clip nut'.

My phone doesn't like the web page so I can't screen shot, but go to hondapartsnetwork, click on "interior/bumper" and scroll down to "under cover". Off to the right it shows the wheel well area with some clips. Not sure, but is that what you are looking for?
Yeah I think this might be it! Don't know how I missed it, i did look in that area... One word I didn't consider was "grommet" :) But it definitely does look a lot like my piece, so I'm gonna give it a shot/order it and try.
Thanks again man!!

gomarlins3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring Hatch, 2017 Accord EX-L, 2002 S2000
Installed them on Mrs. GM3's Sport Hatch. They don't line up exactly right, but look good from the side. From behind.... not so much.
Sponsored