IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hi all! So I've had the Spec Stage 2+ Proprietary Clutch Kit with the Aluminum SMF for awhile now. I've encountered a couple of noises I was hoping some would hopefully be able to shed some light on

Aside from the fact that it shudders and chatters a lot more since it's an aggressive clutch and a super light flywheel, I have experienced other noises.

1. A friction-like gritty noise when letting off the clutch when raising the RPM's to start in 1st. I have had a hard time being able to record this noise because sometimes it's hard to hear and doesn't go through video very well and is also intermittent. If I am able to obtain a clip of the noise I will post it here.

2. A groaning like noise when easing off the clutch as it's in gear. This noise is also intermittent.

Let me know what you guys think the issue is! It's been happening for awhile but I'm just now getting to asking about it. Driveability doesn't feel affected and it still holds power and doesn't smell like burnt clutch whenever I push the car. I don't launch the car but have done it maybe 3-4 times since I have had the clutch. I mostly just do pulls.

Thanks guys!

Link to Noise #2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rrSYWgioLxPwsP6J9
Sponsored

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this same issue in my Integra after a while with a new clutch. Basically, I just needed to do a couple hard launches to fix it. Has to do with the material on the clutch not being even/smooth for whatever reason. Pretty normal actually.

Edit: Just listened to the vid, almost the exact same sound. Driving feels normal, you only hear it when starting off right?

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I had this same issue in my Integra after a while with a new clutch. Basically, I just needed to do a couple hard launches to fix it. Has to do with the material on the clutch not being even/smooth for whatever reason. Pretty normal actually.

Edit: Just listened to the vid, almost the exact same sound. Driving feels normal, you only hear it when starting off right?
Yup. Only noise aside from chatter/shuddering. And yeah I assumed it was the friction material. But I don't know how/why it's uneven. How exactly do you suggest doing the launches? I have avoided doing them because of this noise. It's nice to know someone has experienced it before!

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup. Only noise aside from chatter/shuddering. And yeah I assumed it was the friction material. But I don't know how/why it's uneven. How exactly do you suggest doing the launches? I have avoided doing them because of this noise. It's nice to know someone has experienced it before!
The material for whatever reason can become uneven. It's not uncommon and trying to find out why is like a needle in a haystack. For my Integra, I basically took off kind of riding the clutch despite hearing the grinding because I knew it was evening it out. Only had to do it once or twice and it was gone. Hasn't it done it since. You can try that method versus hard launches.

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The material for whatever reason can become uneven. It's not uncommon and trying to find out why is like a needle in a haystack. For my Integra, I basically took off kind of riding the clutch despite hearing the grinding because I knew it was evening it out. Only had to do it once or twice and it was gone. Hasn't it done it since. You can try that method versus hard launches.
I actually do that when I hear the noise also. I kind of ride the clutch when starting, applying gas and easing off the clutch so it can "even out". The odd thing for me is that the noise keeps coming back. It will go away, then come back. On some occasions the night before it's okay, then in the morning it's back to making the frictiony noise.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually do that when I hear the noise also. I kind of ride the clutch when starting, applying gas and easing off the clutch so it can "even out". The odd thing for me is that the noise keeps coming back. It will go away, then come back. On some occasions the night before it's okay, then in the morning it's back to making the frictiony noise.
Then perhaps a hard launch is what you'll need to do. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Then perhaps a hard launch is what you'll need to do. :thumbsup:
I'll probably try that tonight! Wouldn't be very smart to try and launch in the day with cars around.

How exactly should I conduct the launch? Like how many RPM's and how far I should go?

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll probably try that tonight! Wouldn't be very smart to try and launch in the day with cars around.

How exactly should I conduct the launch? Like how many RPM's and how far I should go?
:dunno: I just launched like I was racing. So 2-step and go LOL.

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Have you ever found out how to remove the noise issue
Sponsored