Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Who said anything about loose bolts?

Maybe I missed something. I’m not following what you’re saying here.
Over tightening.. you cant over tighten the pressure plate.. once the surfaces meet thats all she wrote. Bolt can tighten more but does nothing to affect the pressure plate function
Sponsored

OP
OP

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
Over tightening.. you cant over tighten the pressure plate.. once the surfaces meet thats all she wrote. Bolt can tighten more but does nothing to affect the pressure plate function
Gotcha. So, basically what you’re saying here is if my installer tries charging anything beyond my original quote I should have clear grounds to stand on to say no?

Based on others stating that they should have known about it visually and had doubts, and what you’re saying, that’s how I’m taking this.

bbp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
679DEA3A-4A63-423D-B362-0B780E8F6869.jpeg
83C7CA0F-FC42-443F-A3D7-86E4D8DCE162.jpeg

So the installer and spec spoke today. Seems that the clutch was manufactured improperly.

Working through MAP to get a refund. They’re giving me some pushback but at the end of the day I think it’ll get taken care of.

Now I’m debating getting a new OEM clutchplate while they’re in there.
I told you spec is defective right away.
When I first had the pressure plate installed it looked normal outward.
After it started failing it looked like the 2nd pic inward.
On my 2nd pressure plate issue with spec I had the bearing go through their pressure plate.
Do yourself a favor and do not install their replacement pressure plate because it will fail just like this one withing a couple of months.
Get your money back and move on to another brand.
Since spec admitted to manufacturer error push for them to cover all labor costs associated with this clutch install.
Best is OEM but if OEM does not hold enough power go for ACT Heavy Duty PP.
Sorry you had to go through this and I wish you better luck with a different manufacturer.

bbp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Gotcha. So, basically what you’re saying here is if my installer tries charging anything beyond my original quote I should have clear grounds to stand on to say no?

Based on others stating that they should have known about it visually and had doubts, and what you’re saying, that’s how I’m taking this.
No, your shop is not at fault and you have no valid claim against them.
The PP looked fine when it was new.
The metal in PP is defective and it bent in with use.
Pay the shop whatever they're reasonably asking and get Spec to cover all of this mess.

OP
OP

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
Update:

Received the new pressure plate overnighted to me yesterday. Dropped it off and am waiting word back now on it being completed.
Pay the shop whatever they're reasonably asking and get Spec to cover all of this mess.

It did NOT bend in with use. It was installed and never used.

bbp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Update:

Received the new pressure plate overnighted to me yesterday. Dropped it off and am waiting word back now on it being completed.

It did NOT bend in with use. It was installed and never used.
I'm assuming that when it was installed it looked normal not like photo 2.
After the clutch pedal was pressed a couple of times the pressure plate failed.
Either way it's SPEC defect.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

It's kind of a grey area honestly..... mechanics are legally not allowed to go above the original quoted price. However, the part was defective, if it was supplied by the mechanic for sure they cannot charge more, but this part was supplied by the client... hence the grey area.

My argument would be this: You quoted me for a clutch install to install a working and functional clutch. the clutch was defective (pressure plate) and there is no way to know without installing it therefore, the pressure plate needs to be replaced as it was defective originally, and replaced under the original quoted price.

bbp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
No, labor rate is counted per hour.

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Oh man this sounds like the problem I had when I had installed my CM FX300. Nobody took blame for the installation or possibly faulty parts but CM did send me a new kit "Just in Case". The shop kept insisting that it was a faulty pressure plate,but CM stated that everything was within specifications. From what I saw, I believe it was also a faulty pressure plate.

If you want to read the problems I had:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/headache-after-clutch-change.37647/

After the second installation and 4000 miles later, I have not had any issues besides minor chatter.
Sponsored