Spare tire kit on hondapartsnetwork

bigoldglock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2013 Honda Odysessy
Country flag
There's a guy from the state's that bought the kit and installed in his SI. He has a video on YouTube.
The youtube video with the spare is mine in case anyone has questions, i think the compromise of putting together the assorted parts gets the job done with minimal expense. I still have room under the new mat to keep the tire inflator as well.

It is still irritating that honda didnt include a spare to begin with. Im happy with what i have going on in the trunk as is in the video.
Sponsored

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
The youtube video with the spare is mine in case anyone has questions, i think the compromise of putting together the assorted parts gets the job done with minimal expense. I still have room under the new mat to keep the tire inflator as well.

It is still irritating that honda didnt include a spare to begin with. Im happy with what i have going on in the trunk as is in the video.
Thank you for sharing, my spare tire kit is coming in this Monday.
Ordered all the necessary items to make it look oem (spacers, cargo cover thing, etc)

And agreed, sadly most manufacturers nowdays dont include a spare tire kit...its that damn fix a flat crap.
Now I can have peace of mind in case I get unlucky, I can change it myself.
I save my tows for engine trouble etc.

squareback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Si sedan, plus a bunch of Hondas and a GMC tow vehicle
Country flag
It is still irritating that honda didnt include a spare to begin with.
Blame the American public. When most people shop for a car, the cubic feet of trunk space is one statistic they look at. The spare tire kit uses almost 2 cubic feet of space, and that would be enough to take it lower than Honda wants. So it is because Honda made the center exhaust and doesn't want to put the spare in there, but that's really the fault of the general car-buying public.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The more I see the more I think its a mistake Honda just didn't go with twin exhaust outlets, one on each side - on the Si and Sport/Touring hatchbacks. Would have avoided so many issues not having the center exhaust, and the spare tire in my Sport Touring hatchback doesn't have the best solution either, its just a raised cover with foam blocks under the sides. Only thing useful about it is that I can stuff some tools and other stuff easily under and hide it all away. Looks like the Si in Canada is stuck with the same sort of half assed solution for the spare tire cause of the center exhaust.

squareback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The more I see the more I think its a mistake Honda just didn't go with twin exhaust outlets, one on each side - on the Si and Sport/Touring hatchbacks. Would have avoided so many issues not having the center exhaust, and the spare tire in my Sport Touring hatchback doesn't have the best solution either, its just a raised cover with foam blocks under the sides. Only thing useful about it is that I can stuff some tools and other stuff easily under and hide it all away. Looks like the Si in Canada is stuck with the same sort of half assed solution for the spare tire cause of the center exhaust.
Couldn't agree more. I'm not a huge fan of the center outlet anyway, and the lack of a spare tire because of it is just salt in the wound.

thetwoeddies

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Yeah but it has definitive-enough firmness to it that I don't think the mat has. I think there might be visible and tangible bumps and dips with the mat, where the foam meets the tire. But in either case, I do hope this works out, and look forward to pics/report when it's done!
Thanks for laying out the pros and cons earlier. I find myself in the same predicament. If you choose the full spare option would you secure it in the Trunk Spare well or just in the trunk cargo space. Thanks again.

jeremiah

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si coupe, 1999 Lexus Gs300
Just installed the spare tire kit yesterday.
Spacers, new floor cover, went to my local tire shop to get the tire installed on the wheel, locking nut, tool foam thing, etc.
All I need now is a lug wrench and jack.
Photos to come later.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
If you choose the full spare option would you secure it in the Trunk Spare well or just in the trunk cargo space.
I would probably just put it in the trunk (on top of trunk floor/cover), off to a side, to maximize the available contiguous storage space. Sure it would save a couple inches in height if put in the middle, but then I'd have to what, cut a circle in the middle of the trunk floor cover? :) Plus, less contiguous space would interfere with actually using the trunk (fitting suitcases, etc.), making the space behind the wheel and to the sides of it nearly unusable.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I would probably just put it in the trunk (on top of trunk floor/cover), off to a side, to maximize the available contiguous storage space. Sure it would save a couple inches in height if put in the middle, but then I'd have to what, cut a circle in the middle of the trunk floor cover? :) Plus, less contiguous space would interfere with actually using the trunk (fitting suitcases, etc.), making the space behind the wheel and to the sides of it nearly unusable.
Cadillac was one step ahead of you. :D

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare tire kit on hondapartsnetwork cadillac-seville-1985-7

squareback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've finished the rough install of my DIY spare tire kit. I used the dense pink foam insulation board that's available at home improvement stores to raise the floor just like the OEM kit does. The tools are wrapped in bubble wrap and tuck just behind the spare tire. The stock carpet doesn't cover the sides, but you could either live with it or use an OEM rubber trunk mat like I did. You can pick up a spare tire and kit from some other Honda product for cheap, and this whole project should easily come in for under $200 even with the trunk mat. Much better than the $500 you'd have to spend for the Si-specific one.

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare tire kit on hondapartsnetwork IMG_3030.JPG