Someone left one of the interior (front, ceiling) lights on overnight...

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It must have been on overnight from 8:30 PM to 11:40 AM. How badly is my battery and light bulb damaged from this?

Very annoyed at this, as it affects the integrity of my car. Is there a way to check for battery damage?

Is there something I can do to make sure these lights turn off automatically when the car is off? It is 2016, there is no reason why this is not standard by now. Luckily my battery didn't die and I didn't have to jumpstart or anything.
Sponsored

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
It should be fine. No need to worry, the amount of power a small bulb draws is nowhere near enough to drain your battery and shouldn't have any adverse effect on the battery.
Also, I believe the lights do turn off by themselves after some time has passed.

myriad46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
How did you discover it was left on? It likely turned off after a few minutes (I'm recalling 30 minutes in the manual for some things) and when you unlocked it or opened the door, it probably turned back on. Also, if your car started normally, your battery is probably fine. The battery on a car is being discharged and charged all the time. It's when it gets drained entirely that it can effect the life of the battery.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
@D Money relax. It's fine. It has a fail safe and shuts off after 30mins, after all it is 2016 like you said..

You probably overheated your bulb though.. Better replace it.. :rofl:

OP
OP
D Money

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did you discover it was left on? It likely turned off after a few minutes (I'm recalling 30 minutes in the manual for some things) and when you unlocked it or opened the door, it probably turned back on. Also, if your car started normally, your battery is probably fine. The battery on a car is being discharged and charged all the time. It's when it gets drained entirely that it can effect the life of the battery.
I noticed the light was on after I started my car.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Yeah, so it was most likely off for the night, except for the few minutes you walked away from the car, and turned back on when you opened the door.

Even if it didn't, it's a very small bulb that uses little current, although it would have heated up quite a bit. But again, really no biggie.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your battery and bulb are fine. I've accidentally done this before, never had a problem. If your that worried about it, replace them with LED bulbs. Then you could leave it on for a month and it wouldn't matter. :)

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've done it about 3 times now, overnight. It turns off. The only issue I've had with my bulb was when i first swapped them to LEDs, it melted. Lol

OP
OP
D Money

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've done it about 3 times now, overnight. It turns off. The only issue I've had with my bulb was when i first swapped them to LEDs, it melted. Lol
When I started my car and drove for 5 seconds I noticed my light was on. How did you make it so it turns off automatically?

Scoby151

Scoby151
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
It must have been on overnight from 8:30 PM to 11:40 AM. How badly is my battery and light bulb damaged from this?

Very annoyed at this, as it affects the integrity of my car. Is there a way to check for battery damage?

Is there something I can do to make sure these lights turn off automatically when the car is off? It is 2016, there is no reason why this is not standard by now. Luckily my battery didn't die and I didn't have to jumpstart or anything.
Im guessing you noticed it when you started the car because it was off when you got in. Once you turn the ignition on it will allow the light to come back on.

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
When I started my car and drove for 5 seconds I noticed my light was on. How did you make it so it turns off automatically?
The Bulbs are like a light switch, either on or off, but after 30 minutes they automatically shut off when all the power is turned off in the car. Once the car has power again, i.e you unlock it, open the doors, the lights go back to their previous position they where at before they automatically shut off, in your case they were already in the on position.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im guessing you noticed it when you started the car because it was off when you got in. Once you turn the ignition on it will allow the light to come back on.
He's talking about the map lights, the manual on/off style.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
In Texas, I don't think it would be an issue for either the bulb, the battery or the car. In Canada? Batteries have given their lives for less than that on cold nights!
Sponsored