Some closeups of 2017 Civic Hatchback in white

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
I think their civic lineup is well full, considering there are still 3 more configurations coming (Si sedan, Si coupe, and type-r). It's still kind of odd to me that the lineup is going to be as big as it is, but with a car that has proven to sell in high volumes year after year, I guess Honda has a strategy; to sell more cars under the reputation of the civic nameplate through variety. I've had my sedan for 8 full month now and love it more than the day I bought it, but that's another story.

On the hatch styling, does anyone else dislike the tint on the side profile of the tail light housings? The coupe has this going on slightly too. I like my tail lights red but I'm older than the target demographic for the sportier varieties of this car.

Still glad I got the sedan. I need the full 6'+ of interior length with the seats down that it has for conference tables. I don't need to haul bulky items much anymore. I've had 5 hatchbacks in the past though, and were invaluable for moving and work related tasks. I wish Honda the best with such a full lineup. Seeing tons of Xs on the road now.

There will be so many front end lips, body kits, and grille options for this car in the aftermarket with so many cars they all fit haha

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, read my post before you hate on me ok?

I don't think a hatch Si is coming and it makes complete business sense for Honda.

After all, this will be the most diverse small car lineup ever. You have the basic sedan and coupe in your choice of two engines. You'll have the hotter Si versions of the popular coupe and sedan soon. The turbo hatch is almost here available in mild or wild (Type-R) down the road. That's a helluva lineup.

You have to remember, hatches don't sell as well as sedans or coupes in the US. And if you want a balls to the wall hatch, Type-R is coming.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
What's interesting (on topic of model diversity) is that in Europe they'll get diesel for sure, and I thought they were also getting a 1.0L gas engine...could be wrong about that, but I'm almost positive they're getting diesel. Additionally, they'll probably make a Tourer (true wagon) for Europe as they have in the past.

There's definitely room in the lineup for more Manual Transmissions. Are they being penalized for making them or what? I mean how many of us would be willing to wait 2-3 months for a 6MT Touring if it was by special order only... I have to think there are hundreds of people willing to go this route.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's interesting (on topic of model diversity) is that in Europe they'll get diesel for sure, and I thought they were also getting a 1.0L gas engine...could be wrong about that, but I'm almost positive they're getting diesel. Additionally, they'll probably make a Tourer (true wagon) for Europe as they have in the past.

There's definitely room in the lineup for more Manual Transmissions. Are they being penalized for making them or what? I mean how many of us would be willing to wait 2-3 months for a 6MT Touring if it was by special order only... I have to think there are hundreds of people willing to go this route.
While i don't disagree that there are manual purists that would be willing to wait for higher trim models with manuals... it just doesn't make a ton of business sense from a production standpoint. The civic model range is already pretty large with multiple engines, trims, transmissions (remember that the 2.0 and 1.5T use different transmissions)... the more configurations there are the higher the production costs are to make all those various model variants. You look at sales numbers and see that compared to automatics, manuals sell a fraction of that. It doesn't make production cost sense to offer more model variants that aren't going to sell in high enough volume to recoup the cost of production.

Besides, we don't yet know what the Si will or will not come with standard... it could be EXT features, EX features, or somewhere in between the lowest and highest trims with it's own unique mix of features. I also wouldn't rule out they might offer an Si with leather interior this time around as an optional upgrade over the base Si, effectively giving people EXL level features with a manual (and most likely at a similar price point to an EXL) ... also we know that the honda sensing is only partially compatible with a manual transmission which is really the only big feature difference between the EXL and touring models (except on sedan which also gets the stereo upgrade).

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
While i don't disagree that there are manual purists that would be willing to wait for higher trim models with manuals... it just doesn't make a ton of business sense from a production standpoint. The civic model range is already pretty large with multiple engines, trims, transmissions (remember that the 2.0 and 1.5T use different transmissions)... the more configurations there are the higher the production costs are to make all those various model variants. You look at sales numbers and see that compared to automatics, manuals sell a fraction of that. It doesn't make production cost sense to offer more model variants that aren't going to sell in high enough volume to recoup the cost of production.

Besides, we don't yet know what the Si will or will not come with standard... it could be EXT features, EX features, or somewhere in between the lowest and highest trims with it's own unique mix of features. I also wouldn't rule out they might offer an Si with leather interior this time around as an optional upgrade over the base Si, effectively giving people EXL level features with a manual (and most likely at a similar price point to an EXL) ... also we know that the honda sensing is only partially compatible with a manual transmission which is really the only big feature difference between the EXL and touring models (except on sedan which also gets the stereo upgrade).
I know I agree with what you're saying - but if we're already getting a 1.5T with a 6MT, the development work is done. Why not expand it out to include a car with a flippin' sunroof for Pete's sake!
I guess Honda figures if you want a sunroof so bad, you'll sacrifice transmission. If you won't sacrifice transmission choice, you'll give up options.
Funny how the first Si's were like an 8 hp bump in power, then in the 92-95 years they were just hatches with moonroof and power windows and door locks and 4 wheel disc but the same engine and transmission as the EX coupe and sedan. If Honda wants to get back to their roots, they're going to be making Si's with the same power as EX-T's, just with sport seats and proper 6mt.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Here's some up close and personal pics of the Civic hatchback in white, courtesy of R1concepts.

white-civic-hatchback1.jpg
white-civic-hatchback2.jpg
white-civic-hatchback3.jpg
I wanted a hatch for convenience, but couldn't wait to purchase. Now I am glad I did buy a sedan as IMO it's much better looking. The hatch just doesn't work for me from the side or the rear, and those bumpers are god awful, especially the rear. I do love the black chrome like finish on the wheels though, wish I had them with my MSM.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know I agree with what you're saying - but if we're already getting a 1.5T with a 6MT, the development work is done. Why not expand it out to include a car with a flippin' sunroof for Pete's sake!
I guess Honda figures if you want a sunroof so bad, you'll sacrifice transmission. If you won't sacrifice transmission choice, you'll give up options.
Funny how the first Si's were like an 8 hp bump in power, then in the 92-95 years they were just hatches with moonroof and power windows and door locks and 4 wheel disc but the same engine and transmission as the EX coupe and sedan. If Honda wants to get back to their roots, they're going to be making Si's with the same power as EX-T's, just with sport seats and proper 6mt.
The Coupe/sedan EXTs are getting manuals for 2017 aren't they? There's your manual/sunroof combo. just not sure about the hatch sadly for some.

Let's not forget this hatch is kind of testing the waters... honda isn't going to go all in until they know there is solid demand for a hatch civic. Once they know there is demand, they'll do more to diversify and offer more on the hatches.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Coupe/sedan EXTs are getting manuals for 2017 aren't they? There's your manual/sunroof combo. just not sure about the hatch sadly for some.

Let's not forget this hatch is kind of testing the waters... honda isn't going to go all in until they know there is solid demand for a hatch civic. Once they know there is demand, they'll do more to diversify and offer more on the hatches.
I know we will get 1.5T MT but no idea what trim level they're to be. I guess they have to be EXT and up?

I wonder what the take rate is on the 2.0 NA. I don't see them maintaining two engines forever - especially if the Si and Type R each are completely different from the lower models. I just wonder if the 2.0LX will turn into the 1.5T LX some day...

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know we will get 1.5T MT but no idea what trim level they're to be. I guess they have to be EXT and up?

I wonder what the take rate is on the 2.0 NA. I don't see them maintaining two engines forever - especially if the Si and Type R each are completely different from the lower models. I just wonder if the 2.0LX will turn into the 1.5T LX some day...
I foresee this happening too, probably with the 11th gen. Cutting production costs and offering just 1 engine again on the base trims, possibly just a different tuning for lower/higher trims so higher trims still get more of a power bump. I figure the entire honda lineup will eventually go turbo on the 4 cylinders. HRV/CRV/Civic/Base accords could all share the 1.5T, honda also has a 1.0T 3 cylinder that could be put into the next gen Fit for a nice torque bump and fuel efficiency bump. 2.0T will replace V6 in accord models but they might keep the V6 for larger cars like the pilot and ridgeline, at least as an upper trim engine.
Sponsored