Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I picked up the car late in the day on a Thursday, so I really couldn't get above 5k due to traffic. I was also on the phone with my brother at the time I did mention to him that it sounded like it was making a sound at 4800ish still but thought I might be kind of paranoid*.

Friday I barely drove the car.

Saturday night we went out and I was able to hit 5k+ a few times. The sound is reduced, it's not as loud as before, but it is still there. The more concerning/weird part is that you feel the odd feedback and vibration in the clutch pedal at just this range.

Today I took the car to 5k few times just to confirm it and I definitely feel like the issue still exists just not as loud as before.

I've probably put 100 or less miles on the car since the fix.

* The paranoia is due to the fact that I've had a few things come up during my ownership experience that I would consider less than ideal. I'd rather not elaborate much in this thread as it's unrelated to the issue at hand.
i am wondering if it is the swindon plant and lack of quality and control. Either way i plan on getting rid of my car and buying the first built USA Civic Type R in 2021.. not sure why there isnt a recall or any kind of engineering explanation why this car loves to resonate on the clutch and make a weird noise at 5000-5500rpm while i can shift at any rpm even 7k and its smooth as butter.
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tested this today and I didn’t experience it in my car. 13K miles. Sounded really good at that RPM range though!

OP
OP

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I tested this today and I didn’t experience it in my car. 13K miles. Sounded really good at that RPM range though!
What’s funny you out in your signature “first manual vehical owned”
Sounds like you baby your car too

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone gone to the dealer and done the improvement? What were the results?

I just got back from the dealership.

They tech went with me for a drive and said that I shouldn't expect Cadillac quality from a Type R and that it's normal behavior for the CTR.

I said if that's true and this is how all Type R's behave can you take me for a drive in another one from the dealership? Surely we can coordinate with the sales team and I don't even need to drive.

He said he'll talk to the manager and left me alone and just told me to have a good day.

I talked to my service advisor who spoke with the manager who told me the manager would call me at a later time.

So yeah, that's where I'm at.

I did happen to meet another Type R owner a few weeks ago. Saw each other on the street, stopped, and chatted. I got his number so I'm going to text him and see if we can meet up. I've never ridden in or driven another Type R so I honestly do not know if this behavior is normal or not.

That's it for now. Thanks. Again, would love to results from others.

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I own a 2019 Si & within the 3k miles I've driven i encountered the same problem with my 8th gen Si. The OEM CMC's have been trash & continue to be the same.

OP
OP

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
i guess its normal then the sound and vibration?
weird , how some people have it and others dont and also SI owners have the same issue

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I had this issue too, but I thought it was caused by the modified CMC I bought from k20z3allmotor. I’ll be looking into this and seeing if this is the cause of my issue.
Does that CMC still have the clutch delay valve in it?

Wondering if this clutch noise issue is just the Dual Mass Flywheel chattering at partial engagement due to the clutch delay valve?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Does that CMC still have the clutch delay valve in it?

Wondering if this clutch noise issue is just the Dual Mass Flywheel chattering at partial engagement due to the clutch delay valve?
The CDV is located in the slave cylinder. The modified CMC has the damper deleted along with a bored feed hole.

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
The CDV is located in the slave cylinder. The modified CMC has the damper deleted along with a bored feed hole.
Ah, gtocha, thanks for setting me straight :)

Would be interesting to know if someone who is having this vibration issue sees any difference post CDV delete.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
issue with noise at 5000-5500 rpm when engaging the clutch and while shifting.
Is there video of this or a description of what the sound is like? I might be experiencing this as well on my 2019 CTR. I have definitely noticed a vibration sound in higher RPM when shifting, but have also been dealing with gear grinds.

I'm late to the thread here but thanks for the info

OP
OP

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Is there video of this or a description of what the sound is like? I might be experiencing this as well on my 2019 CTR. I have definitely noticed a vibration sound in higher RPM when shifting, but have also been dealing with gear grinds.

I'm late to the thread here but thanks for the info
no video except for a guy in a SI

no idea what it is, vibration occurs during shift and vibrates through the clutch at 5-5500 rpm, dont matter what gear .

OP
OP

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Thanks, I think I too have experienced this so am going to pay close attention for now on. Will report back if I can find an instance where it happens again
It should happen every time you shift at the rpms I stated above.
Let us know if it happens and you hear and feel it

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
It should happen every time you shift at the rpms I stated above.
I drove aggressively yesterday and can't replicate it, but I have definitely felt a vibration in the clutch accompanied by a moderately noisy rumbling/rattling a couple of times at least, it just isn't consistent for me. I have a GoPro mounted to windshield using a suction cup mount on my dash that I'm rolling to see if I can capture it. Will share if I do
Sponsored