Nostake

First Name
jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
it was clear the car did not appreciate the bolt on parts even with a custom tune, even after returning to stock it was running Rich -10 to 12 LTFT. took it to dealer and he said drive it till the light comes on and maybe we will help you and btw are you modded? next day i went back and told him his drive it till it breaks customer service was why i was selling the car and not buying a honda. then i called corporate. I ended up getting a super nice WRX premium for a great deal. no modding for me anymore , hehe well strut bar and Drop in filter but then that is it. anyway i learned a ton from you guys and REALLY enjoyed reading these forums. thanks for everything and GL down the road.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
it was clear the car did not appreciate the bolt on parts even with a custom tune, even after returning to stock it was running Rich -10 to 12 LTFT. took it to dealer and he said drive it till the light comes on and maybe we will help you and btw are you modded? next day i went back and told him his drive it till it breaks customer service was why i was selling the car and not buying a honda. then i called corporate. I ended up getting a super nice WRX premium for a great deal. no modding for me anymore , hehe well strut bar and Drop in filter but then that is it. anyway i learned a ton from you guys and REALLY enjoyed reading these forums. thanks for everything and GL down the road.
Goodbye and enjoy your WRX!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck on your new car.

Funny you mentioned about the bolt ons. For performance mods, I'm running a strut bar, PRL silicone intake hose/afe drop in and a Ktuner with the TSP Stage 1. That's it and my car runs great.

It does seem like once you start adding more and more bolt ons, it becomes more and more problematic.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Good luck on your new car.

Funny you mentioned about the bolt ons. For performance mods, I'm running a strut bar, PRL silicone intake hose/afe drop in and a Ktuner with the TSP Stage 1. That's it and my car runs great.

It does seem like once you start adding more and more bolt ons, it becomes more and more problematic.
Same mods minus the strut bar, zero problems

OP
OP
Nostake

Nostake

First Name
jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
gtman and micah you guys are on the number, if i had it to do over again i would do PRL stage 1 intake, K-tuner, strut bar, full acuity upgrades and custom Etune. then be done with it.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
I bought a Civic Si back in June and was very eager to mod it hoping that I could get a good 265whp out of it. Since a lot of people state that the car dynos at 200whp stock, I was thrilled to see it. 1 day after I bought the car, I went and put it on the dyno. It was a dynojet and yielded 172whp. I was stunned at how low the car's power output was. I then thought that putting on mods would change it up.

I ended up purchasing downpipe/midpipe, PRL FMIC and pipes, intake rubber hose and dropin and flexfuel controller with E50. Mechanic tuned the car and could only get 230whp/265wtq out of the car. It responded very well, but the power was too low for my expectations.

I ended up trading it in for a TypeR.

OP
OP
Nostake

Nostake

First Name
jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought a Civic Si back in June and was very eager to mod it hoping that I could get a good 265whp out of it. Since a lot of people state that the car dynos at 200whp stock, I was thrilled to see it. 1 day after I bought the car, I went and put it on the dyno. It was a dynojet and yielded 172whp. I was stunned at how low the car's power output was. I then thought that putting on mods would change it up.

I ended up purchasing downpipe/midpipe, PRL FMIC and pipes, intake rubber hose and dropin and flexfuel controller with E50. Mechanic tuned the car and could only get 230whp/265wtq out of the car. It responded very well, but the power was too low for my expectations.

I ended up trading it in for a TypeR.
ya i just wanted to hit 230 hp and 250-260tq i had PRL race CAI, PRL DP and injen intercooler with custom tune i made good power but the car was clearly not enjoying the extra stress and i have been reading about quite a few HB sports not surviving the increased expectation so i just gave up and bought a nicer car with all the power i want. ill add a cat back to it in a year or so those are warranty safe and once the power train warranty is up ill probably go stage 1+

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
How long have you ltft to -12?
Did you think it might just be the outside temperature? So the engine tends to grease the mixture?
I notice that it affects a lot

In these days the temperature has dropped, ltft and stft have risen a lot

I myself had a CEL engine warning light turned on 3 days ago under normal driving conditions with ktuner, yesterday I put back stock for safety, but I do not intend to sell the civic and I do not intend to leave it stock

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ya i just wanted to hit 230 hp and 250-260tq i had PRL race CAI, PRL DP and injen intercooler with custom tune i made good power but the car was clearly not enjoying the extra stress and i have been reading about quite a few HB sports not surviving the increased expectation so i just gave up and bought a nicer car with all the power i want. ill add a cat back to it in a year or so those are warranty safe and once the power train warranty is up ill probably go stage 1+
What was wrong with your car after the mods?

I never had issues with my car. It's just it didn't create the power I wanted.

OP
OP
Nostake

Nostake

First Name
jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What was wrong with your car after the mods?

I never had issues with my car. It's just it didn't create the power I wanted.
i think it boiled down to the guy who installed it broke a bolt and we both thought there was enough thread, initially it sealed up fine but after a while a leak developed, it was running rough at idle, hesitation upon acceleration, about 3 psi shy of the boost it was suppose to have even with a wastegate adjustment. went over the IC and all the hoses to seal up potential leaks and by boost did improve though it was still missing the mark. when the DP came off the rough idle went away but even 100% stock it was -10 to -12 LTFT and STFT was always negative as well it was still sputtering a bit when i went WOT untill about 3500 rpm. all this was fine if i could get 1 decent mechanic too work on it, tried 3 shops and 1 independent from craigslist. non of them had any idea how to diagnose issues. it was apparant to me if you want to go past the intake/tune type of mod you better be prepared to do the work yourself and i am not.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i think it boiled down to the guy who installed it broke a bolt and we both thought there was enough thread, initially it sealed up fine but after a while a leak developed, it was running rough at idle, hesitation upon acceleration, about 3 psi shy of the boost it was suppose to have even with a wastegate adjustment. went over the IC and all the hoses to seal up potential leaks and by boost did improve though it was still missing the mark. when the DP came off the rough idle went away but even 100% stock it was -10 to -12 LTFT and STFT was always negative as well it was still sputtering a bit when i went WOT untill about 3500 rpm. all this was fine if i could get 1 decent mechanic too work on it, tried 3 shops and 1 independent from craigslist. non of them had any idea how to diagnose issues. it was apparant to me if you want to go past the intake/tune type of mod you better be prepared to do the work yourself and i am not.
Wow.. yea, my car had a little hesitation as well. It was inconsistent for sure. Sometimes, I would get a great torque pull at low rpms, and other times I would floor it and it acted like it didn't want to go. It was definitely better than stock though. The car pulled all the way to redline but the pull was a 'whimpy' pull. All in all, I thought I had a bad apple from the bunch and the TypeR just look so much better and had so many better options and design.

I know for one thing.. . I will give the TypeR a proper break-in this time (~1,500 miles then oil change) without getting into the throttle.

-M

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got our hatch on March 19th. PRL CAI, invidia Gemini exhaust, Hondata flash, running +6PSI and other aesthetic mods......

Fun car for sure but...... coincidentally also just ran numbers on a CTR today!

We will see what pans out.

Life’s too short, be happy

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like it wasn't modding per se, but the installation, and possibly the specific mods that are to blame. Plenty of forum members have done extensive mods with no issues.
That particular - or not particular enough - Honda dealer clearly gave you a boneheaded response. The dealer -Right Honda in Scottsdale - I purchased it from and have had it serviced by
meanwhile has been excellent. Not all Honda dealers are the same. For example, they replaced a battery, no charge, under warranty without my asking when it tested under spec when my SI was
just in for an oil change. As most batteries in AZ die a fast death, this saved me from possibly being stranded if it failed completely. That is what a real dealer service department does.

The WRX is a solid choice, test drove a 2018 when I bought my '17 SI. The SI for me is just a lighter and easier car to shift and toss around. For less money.

Enjoy it. You are always welcome back...I see a gently used Type R in your future...
Sponsored