So who else turns traction control off when there's snow?

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So this winter is the first winter with my Civic Si. Today we got our first snow fall and I got stuck half way up a hill I take to get to work because of the traction control. I turned it off and was able to make it up the rest of the hill without a problem. I noticed starting from a start was slow also and was much much easier and quicker without the TC. I drove the rest of the way to work with the TC off and will probably drive in the snow with it off from now on (only in the City of course, highway I'll just keep it on). I feel like applying the brakes and slowing the car down to the point of getting stuck on a hill is pretty dangerous.
My previous car was a Ford Escape, it had AWD so the TC barely came on and the 2 cars before that were an Acura 1.6EL and 1.7EL (basically Civics for you US folks) did not have TC so I never had this problem.

Also wtf with the long combo you have to perform to turn off TC lol.

So who else turns off the TC in the snow?
Sponsored

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
If the road is covered in snow and you tires are struggling for traction, every time the wheels slip the TC will activate and cut power. If you can't drive up the hill because the car keeps cutting power to the wheels turn TC off and drive carefully. Otherwise it is safer to leave it on.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I watched YouTube videos how to disable traction control in our SI.
Looks like a complicated process, once has to apply the brake and hand brake a few times. Is this right?

Last edited:

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I watched YouTube videos how to disable traction control in our SI.
Looks like a complicated process, once has to apply the brake and hand brake a few times. Is this right?
Trust me it is super easy. Takes like a minute. Hold brake and press VSA button twice. Flip e-brake on and press VSA twice. Hold brake and have e-brake still on and hit VSA twice. Should start flashing saying off.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Pretty normal issue on all cars, and I had to disable TC on my Civic hatch this morning. We got about 4-5", with my complex not being plowed or salted (WTF!). Traction control hinders the ability for the car to get going, and cuts power. You actually need that power to get going!

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
only time I've disabled TC is when I was stuck in mud :eek:

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
So wait, Traction Control is designed to cut power to the car, thus causing you to be stuck on the hill, whereas having it disabled allows the car to continue trying to get up the hill and succeeding?

Seems like something isn't right here.

Maybe I should disable it in my EX-T since I live in a state with snow.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So wait, Traction Control is designed to cut power to the car, thus causing you to be stuck on the hill, whereas having it disabled allows the car to continue trying to get up the hill and succeeding?
Correct. If the wheels lose grip it cuts power. Great when you car starts to slide in the rain or snow. The removal of power from the drive wheels allows then to regain traction and keep you from losing control.

Doesn't work so well when you need to get the car rolling in snow because if you let the wheels spin they will dig through the snow until they meet the pavement. That is why there is a button to quickly deactivate TCS. I recommend turning it back on once you get moving or get up the hill.

Then there is another safety feature VSA/VSC/ESC/ESA (different manufacturers use different names) stands for vehicle stability assist/ electronic stability control. This is different than traction control although Honda likes to keep the 2 features grouped together and can be deactivated in the Si by a sequence of pressing buttons and e brake.

OP
OP
TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is why there is a button to quickly deactivate TCS.
That's the problem, in the Si (all Civics?) there is no button to quickly deactivate TC only VSA. You need to be stopped to turn off TC.
I have a couple hills to go up, I'm in Montreal, it's a hilly city, so I can't stop and turn it off every time there's a hill with snow.

OP
OP
TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the road is covered in snow and you tires are struggling for traction, every time the wheels slip the TC will activate and cut power. If you can't drive up the hill because the car keeps cutting power to the wheels turn TC off and drive carefully. Otherwise it is safer to leave it on.
Well yes I know, that's why I turned it off. I didn't think I would have trouble going up the hill because of it though.

OP
OP
TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty normal issue on all cars, and I had to disable TC on my Civic hatch this morning. We got about 4-5", with my complex not being plowed or salted (WTF!). Traction control hinders the ability for the car to get going, and cuts power. You actually need that power to get going!
Ok so I'm not the only one.
Do you have a button do deactivate it on the go or do you need to do the killer combo before driving?

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Sounds like a sub-par design by Honda, traction control worked well in my Golf on snowy hills. I have not experienced enough snowy hills yet in my Civic to comment.

OP
OP
TheComebackKid

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like a sub-par design by Honda, traction control worked well in my Golf on snowy hills. I have not experienced enough snowy hills yet in my Civic to comment.
I've heard the same problem with Ford's TC with FWD.
Good on VW though for making it work and not hinder the drive up the hill!

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the problem, in the Si (all Civics?) there is no button to quickly deactivate TC only VSA. You need to be stopped to turn off TC.
Hold the VSA button for a few seconds anytime to deactivate/activate traction control. Honda just calls traction control VSA, and the actual VSA (ESC) can only be completely disabled on the Si and Type R through a sequence of buttons.
Sponsored