So sport mode is better for the track than +R?

PTYFK8

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R/ 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S / 2015 BMW M3 f80
Country flag
Last sunday on a track day i concluded, at least for me, that Sport mode allows me the make fastest times. Dont know what it is, it have less boost and suspension is softer and the throttle response is slower, but all laps y did on sport mode i was faster.....

It occurred to me to take a look at the nurburing type R lap video and as you can see in the pic below the car doesn't not have the red color on the tach elipse (its white), so its on sport mode or even it could be on confort.........

Honda Civic 10th gen So sport mode is better for the track than +R? {filename}

thoughts ???

here my fastest lap on sunday.....on sport mode

Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
This is sort of the case when autocrossing the SI as well. More suspension compliance helps on less than stellar surfaces.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
I noticed at Mid-Ohio that my top speed was identical on the straight, regardless of mode(130mph). I didn’t compare lap times tho. R+ feels faster. Not sure it is. It’s more aggressive at triggering nannies(ABS, vectoring) seems to speed up throttle response and definitely makes the susp stiffer, for better or worse. I need more track time to have a clear opinion tho.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
+R mode is faster. Turn VSA fully off.

I accidentally ran the first couple of laps of a session with Sport on - had to pit to change modes / turn VSA fully off.

Difference for me was 1.5-2 seconds per lap. I'm sure it would change depending on the track.

I suspect Honda was running the car in a custom calibration for the Nurburgring.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I noticed at Mid-Ohio that my top speed was identical on the straight, regardless of mode(130mph). I didn’t compare lap times tho. R+ feels faster. Not sure it is. It’s more aggressive at triggering nannies(ABS, vectoring) seems to speed up throttle response and definitely makes the susp stiffer, for better or worse. I need more track time to have a clear opinion tho.
Throttle response in Sport and R+ are the same.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Throttle response in Sport and R+ are the same.
Not from what I've seen with my Type R. +R mode has a different throttle mapping that makes the throttle much more sensitive compared to Sport.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not from what I've seen with my Type R. +R mode has a different throttle mapping that makes the throttle much more sensitive compared to Sport.
I mean I'm looking at the torque tables via hondata on the stock tune.

They're 1:1 lol

Stiffer suspension might make it feel like its faster

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
if you are on a stock tune, it is the same for sport and R.
I mean I'm looking at the torque tables via hondata on the stock tune.

They're 1:1 lol

Stiffer suspension might make it feel like its faster
I'm not sure why, but 33% throttle in sport mode != 33% throttle in +R mode for me, +R mode is a bit close to hair-trigger than Sport. I'm not talking full, 100% throttle.

OP
OP

PTYFK8

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think they were running in comfort mode in the nurburing lap. if you look closely the top lights are off and only turn on as shift lights.

I wonder if they do it in order to keep the car from overheating...... i need to try that.... im tired of the overheating issue.......

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last sunday on a track day i concluded, at least for me, that Sport mode allows me the make fastest times. Dont know what it is, it have less boost and suspension is softer and the throttle response is slower, but all laps y did on sport mode i was faster.....

It occurred to me to take a look at the nurburing type R lap video and as you can see in the pic below the car doesn't not have the red color on the tach elipse (its white), so its on sport mode or even it could be on confort.........

Honda Civic 10th gen So sport mode is better for the track than +R? {filename}

thoughts ???

here my fastest lap on sunday.....on sport mode

Nice driving, clean lap! Car sounds mean, what kind of mods are you running? I can see Hondata at least and hear an exhaust lol. For me in AutoX, R+ with VSA fully off is the only way to go. I think as others have mentioned, depending on surface compliance, you might have better results with Sport Mode. I certainly wish Honda would have let us change dampers, throttle, and steering independently. Would love R+ mode with softer steering.

OP
OP

PTYFK8

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice driving, clean lap! Car sounds mean, what kind of mods are you running? I can see Hondata at least and hear an exhaust lol. For me in AutoX, R+ with VSA fully off is the only way to go. I think as others have mentioned, depending on surface compliance, you might have better results with Sport Mode. I certainly wish Honda would have let us change dampers, throttle, and steering independently. Would love R+ mode with softer steering.
Im running a 93 hondata custom tune making 320WHP, RV6 Downpipe with stock exhaust and K&N Drop-in air filter. On the cooling side:Grill, HKS oil cooler and turbo blanket... ah and full-race radiator. Cant do more than 5 laps without overheating. as for the sound, i believe it was that the camera was placed in the back of the car, but yes it sounds great. Not as stock, but not too loud.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I think they were running in comfort mode in the nurburing lap. if you look closely the top lights are off and only turn on as shift lights.

I wonder if they do it in order to keep the car from overheating...... i need to try that.... im tired of the overheating issue.......
Softer suspension does keep traction help with uneven roads but results in more body roll.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't know what Hondata is showing, but it sounds to me like it's not actually stock tune.

My car is 100% stock and never tuned. If I get on the highway going say 65mph in sport mode, hold the throttle at that spot, and go to +R mode, the car accelerates noticeably.
If your car isn't doing that, it's not on the stock tune.
This is what I experience when I'm driving (completely stock, not tune).
Sponsored