Status
Not open for further replies.

Jk89581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I own a 2018 Civic sport 6speed. So I'm driving down the road one day about 25 miles an hour. Go to downshift into 3rd, and my engine just sputters and dies. So I coast into my friend's driveway the car won't start. After a couple more times it finally does start and it's running with misfires and all cylinders. I call Honda care and have it towed to my nearest Honda dealership. Come to find out I've put a rod through the block.

Keep in mind that the engine was not being pushed at all. And other than cosmetic modifications in a short ram intake the car is stock.

Honda is giving me a completely new engine all under warranty. My question is how could this have happened? They really can't answer my question, the tech there told me, and I quote "it's just one of those things that happens" which I find pretty hard to believe. Anyone else had problems like this with the new 1.5 turbo?

Also they told me my clutch is toast. I've never driven the car that hard, besides feathering it in town. Maybe banged gears once or twice ever. Anyone think that the rod going through the block could have caused the clutch failure somehow?

Thank you everybody any information or tips would be appreciated!

Update: I did have Hondata Flashpro installed for a couple days +9 tune. I was worried about the possible damage to the engine so I flashed back to stock a long while back. Too many horror stories in these forums about blown engines and other issues. But I was running an Injen short ram intake at the time. Someones told me there are issues with the AFR on that so I may just keep it stock all around for a while.

Thank you
Honda Civic 10th gen So my engine blew up.... 20190302_165612_HDR
Sponsored

Last edited:

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
How many miles on your car?... an no that wouldn’t cause your clutch to be toast

OP
OP

Jk89581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
About 25,000. I'm at a total loss as to why the clutch would go out so early

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch failure wouldn't be related to the rod through the block. Dumb question... is this your first stick? I'm only asking because you have an '18. Just trying to figure how your clutch could be shot already.

Also, (I could be wrong on this) if I recall, lot of the rod issues we've seen have been on the UK built (non-Type R) hatches.

Sorry to hear this happened. Glad Honda is doing the right thing, but wow. This thread could be interesting. :cool:

Last edited:

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
Yes definitely shouldn’t have a clutch issue at 25k... or rod issue for that matter at 25k...

OP
OP

Jk89581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok good to know. Yes it's my first . But I have driven stuck before. I never rode it that hard. And I've never seen a clutch go so soon.

The only problems I've been reading about were the oil dilution on the 10th gens. And I don't even know if that affects mine.

Thank you, yeah me too. From reading threads I was expecting more resistance from Honda regarding the repairs. But I'm glad they gave me immediate approval for repairs and a loaner. I'm also concerned that this may be an ongoing problem. And could happen again..

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Damn...another thread about a 1.5 motor going bad. Granted the other 2 threads ive seen involve things like using 2 step in the cold or 2 step in general but still im pretty sure there have been some other people blowing their 1.5 for no good reason. Sucks that happened man but good to hear Honda is honoring the warranty and getting you a new engine. I think your clutch going and your engine throwing a rod can all be chalked up to your car being a lemon. Cant really think of a reasonable explanation for it besides your car having bad build quality. Im sure your experience will be better though once the new clutch and motor is installed :thumbsup:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for your trouble but I'm glad to hear that it's being taken care of.

How recently had you changed the oil?

Have you ever had issues with the transmission shifting into the wrong gear, causing the RPMs to spike?

Which short ram intake?

SC5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Sounds like a defect. Improperly cast block or something of that nature. Good luck with this.

The nice thing is you’ll be getting a brand new engine.

OP
OP

Jk89581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Damn...another thread about a 1.5 motor going bad. Granted the other 2 threads ive seen involve things like using 2 step in the cold or 2 step in general but still im pretty sure there have been some other people blowing their 1.5 for no good reason. Sucks that happened man but good to hear Honda is honoring the warranty and getting you a new engine. I think your clutch going and your engine throwing a rod can all be chalked up to your car being a lemon. Cant really think of a reasonable explanation for it besides your car having bad build quality. Im sure your experience will be better though once the new clutch and motor is installed :thumbsup:
I know right I've read a few threads about problems with the 125 hatch. I hope my future experience will be better!

OP
OP

Jk89581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry for your trouble but I'm glad to hear that it's being taken care of.

How recently had you changed the oil?

Have you ever had issues with the transmission shifting into the wrong gear, causing the RPMs to spike?

Which short ram intake?
Thank you. About two weeks prior to the incident I had the oil changed. And no I've never had issues with the transmission or shifting before

OP
OP

Jk89581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like a defect. Improperly cast block or something of that nature. Good luck with this.

The nice thing is you’ll be getting a brand new engine.
Yeah I'm hoping this new engine will actually hold together

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably not the only one here with that engine that raised an eyebrow when the tech basically told you "shit happens". :dunno:

OP
OP

Jk89581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm probably not the only one here with that engine that raised an eyebrow when the tech basically told you "shit happens". :dunno:
I'm thinking that's his way of covering Honda's ass. I heard "we fucked up on The design of the 1.5t but we don't want to tell you that"
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.