So my custom sunshade finally came in the mail. No more hot car!

MaximusBKK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan + a few non-Hondas
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I still like part of the thread title, "no more hot car". In the summer the car is gonna get hot inside no matter what you do. It's crazy, but I have got into a co-workers car after it setting in the sun all day with no tint or shade, and it wasn't any hotter than mine is with tinted windows AND a sunshade. I'm not convinced either one makes any difference.
The sunshade for sure helps on the steering wheel. My previous car was a Scion tC with nothing on the windows and and windshield and during the summer days I couldnt grip the steering wheel until the A/C was running for a few minutes. I assume it helps protect the leather seats from the UV rays as well if your cars has em. YMMV but to me having something on there makes sense, we just happen to like the custom fit so we pay more, but even a $2 one should help even a little. Tints on the windows is arguable, I'm sure most just get it for the aesthetics
A sunshade in the window or a quality tint on your car will most definitely reject heat. That being said, it doesn't mean that the car won't still reach a high temperature; it's sitting there baking all day. If the time was a short period like 20 minutes you'd feel more of a difference, but after hours in the sun it doesn't really matter what's on your car. In a closed environment without air movement or an active cooling source the ambient temperature will still rise to a high level. Not quite as high because the surfaces aren't being heated, but certainly not the 44 degree difference promised by the sunshade companies.

The difference it DOES make, as @NiGHTS4EVA said, is that the surfaces won't be as hot. You'll be able to touch your steering wheel and sit in the seat without it being like sitting in lava. The car will cool down faster, too. Once you open the windows or turn on the AC, those surfaces won't have been heated by direct sunlight and therefore won't be providing an active heat source while you're waiting for the temperature to drop. Also, the AC will provide cool air a bit sooner because the dash won't be 470 billion degrees. The other difference is while driving (the tint only comes into play here, hopefully no one is driving with their sunshade in place...) it will stay cooler and the AC doesn't work as hard. That's the biggest difference I've noticed since I got tint all around.

Since the tint on my windshield is only 55%, it still heats the dash, seats and steering wheel to semi-uncomfortable levels, so I just went and picked up a sunshade yesterday. We'll see how much of a difference that makes after being parked in the sun all day today.
Sponsored

SH@UN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I definitely agree that it keeps the steering wheel, shifter (etc), from being as hot to touch. That's really the only reason I bother with it.

MaidenFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan LX
These current custom-fitted sunshades do look really nice.

Fortunately, the Honda sunshade I have from my "murdered" 2009 Accord (rear-ended at stop-light at the end of June, totaled) fits near-perfect in my newly acquired 2016 Civic LX sedan. One less thing to spend more money on with it. That was a pleasant surprise.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC
Thanks...I ordered the blue too. I was hoping the gap behind the rearview mirror would be smaller...my windshield tint should take care of that gap though.
Got my uvs1000 in silver today. Fitment is perfect and quality blows everyone else away.

Honda Civic 10th gen So my custom sunshade finally came in the mail. No more hot car! 20170524_165937

Honda Civic 10th gen So my custom sunshade finally came in the mail. No more hot car! 20170524_170015

Honda Civic 10th gen So my custom sunshade finally came in the mail. No more hot car! 20170524_170007

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Sunshade was the very first thing I bought for my car. Absolutely needed. Especially in the summer down here in Florida when its 110 F in the car.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
The Sunshade was the very first thing I bought for my car. Absolutely needed. Especially in the summer down here in Florida when its 110 F in the car.
I bought tint and clear bra first. Finally adding the sunshade as well. It comes tuesday!

I had one of these covercrafts in my old TDI and loved it. It appears to be the OE manufacturer for BMW sunshades.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought tint and clear bra first. Finally adding the sunshade as well. It comes tuesday!

I had one of these covercrafts in my old TDI and loved it. It appears to be the OE manufacturer for BMW sunshades.
I still need tint, but my father surprised me by buying me weathertech rain guards and installed them, which need to be removed prior to tint install which I am not looking forward to doing.
Especially the rears because they use double sides tape. Sucks.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
I still need tint, but my father surprised me by buying me weathertech rain guards and installed them, which need to be removed prior to tint install which I am not looking forward to doing.
Especially the rears because they use double sides tape. Sucks.
#firstworldproblems

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
For real. I'm still trying to find a shop that can do it without removing the guards. I've seen it done but it is tricky.
That, or I need to find a quality double sides strip that is thin.
Find a shop that has a computer cutting machine. This way the tint is precut and doesn't require the exterior part of the window for sizing.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Find a shop that has a computer cutting machine. This way the tint is precut and doesn't require the exterior part of the window for sizing.
Didn't know such a thing existed. That's smart. I wonder if anyone in Massachusetts sprung for such good technology.

xkeeja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Has anyone tried the Covercraft UVS100 with the 2017 Civic Hatchback? According to the Covercraft website they use the same sunshade model for both the 2016 and 2017 Civic models, but the 2017 lane sensor box behind the rearview mirror is almost twice the width of the one on the 2016 model. Seeing how it's already a snug fit on the 2016 I'm inclined to believe that it does not fit the 2017...
Sponsored