So, I reverted my muffler delete

casprog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi all,

I wanted to share this in case it helps anyone else.

About 6 months ago I did a muffler and resonator delete and regretted it 1 day later. If you are thinking of doing this here are some things to consider:

1. Neighbors are going to hate you lol I leave for work at 6am sometimes, and each time I started my car my heart died a little for my neighbors.
2. Cops may pay more attention to you.
3. The noise / speed ratio wasn't right. You can be cruising at 40mph and it's making so much noise. In a way, it made the car appear weaker from observers imo.
4. You have to be careful who performs it. Some muffler shops will do a hack job (my case).
5. You forget how sexy the original sound is! I loved it coming back home.

Today I went to a good rated shop to revert this. I held onto my muffler and resonator like a dork, and I'm glad I did. The dealer wanted over 2K to put a stock exhaust back on.. I only paid 140 to revert everything.

The shop told me the guys that "deleted" the components welded to the frame/body.. and it was messy : (

The cracks and pops are nice, but in my opinion, the money is better spent / saved for some PRL updates perhaps or a tune, which is what I'm having done next. I'm not trying to bash the idea to perform this mod, to each their own, and like I said the little pops were satisfying, but I wouldn't do it again.
Sponsored

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Hi all,

I wanted to share this in case it helps anyone else.

About 6 months ago I did a muffler and resonator delete and regretted it 1 day later. If you are thinking of doing this here are some things to consider:

1. Neighbors are going to hate you lol I leave for work at 6am sometimes, and each time I started my car my heart died a little for my neighbors.
2. Cops may pay more attention to you.
3. The noise / speed ratio wasn't right. You can be cruising at 40mph and it's making so much noise. In a way, it made the car appear weaker from observers imo.
4. You have to be careful who performs it. Some muffler shops will do a hack job (my case).
5. You forget how sexy the original sound is! I loved it coming back home.

Today I went to a good rated shop to revert this. I held onto my muffler and resonator like a dork, and I'm glad I did. The dealer wanted over 2K to put a stock exhaust back on.. I only paid 140 to revert everything.

The shop told me the guys that "deleted" the components welded to the frame/body.. and it was messy : (

The cracks and pops are nice, but in my opinion, the money is better spent / saved for some PRL updates perhaps or a tune, which is what I'm having done next. I'm not trying to bash the idea to perform this mod, to each their own, and like I said the little pops were satisfying, but I wouldn't do it again.
You did the right thing. Imo it's better to either replace the original exhaust with a performance exhaust or keep the original. Where I come from, a car with loud nasty exhaust sounds is considered ghetto

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I love my muffler delete. I didn't do the resonator delete because I've seen videos of people with both and it sounded awful.

The car is just too quiet stock and for $100 I think it sounds great.

At least you got a chance to hear both. Sadly, it cost you money lol

OP
OP
casprog

casprog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Country flag
I love my muffler delete. I didn't do the resonator delete because I've seen videos of people with both and it sounded awful.

The car is just too quiet stock and for $100 I think it sounds great.

At least you got a chance to hear both. Sadly, it cost you money lol
I'm unsure what it sounds like with just a muffler delete, I can imagine better. Videos online don't always do sound justice, but yeah I can assert a resonator delete + muffler was a bit much imo. But it was fun for a little while lol Do you get pops with just the muffler delete? Unsure if that was due to removing the resonator.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm unsure what it sounds like with just a muffler delete, I can imagine better. Videos online don't always do sound justice, but yeah I can assert a resonator delete + muffler was a bit much imo. But it was fun for a little while lol Do you get pops with just the muffler delete? Unsure if that was due to removing the resonator.
Yeah, you get the pops and rumble with the muffler delete. When I've seen videos of people who did both, the removal of the resonator created that classic honda raspiness/tin can sound. The muffler delete just makes it deeper.

Triple_peaz

Brother Taresa
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si sedan, 2016 Honda pilot
Country flag
If you go with the catless downpipe you get the pops, without having that real rasp sound.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you go with the catless downpipe you get the pops, without having that real rasp sound.
How much difference is there when you go with a dp/fp with the rest of the exhaust system being left stock?

Triple_peaz

Brother Taresa
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si sedan, 2016 Honda pilot
Country flag
How much difference is there when you go with a dp/fp with the rest of the exhaust system being left stock?
I can only speak for the downpipe as of now. I will be doing the front pipe soon. The catless does have a noticeable sound. But it's really when you get on it. Still isn't that loud. Less than the m/r delete. I like it. The wife doesn't Lol

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
i just did the resonator delete and ppl have said things to me like "what exhaust you got?, that sounds good".

the resonator only delete sounds perfect. completely stock exhaust is as quiet as a mouse fart.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a resonator delete and had a Vibrant 1040 put on to replace the stock mufflers. It’s not super loud but it’s incredibly deep and throaty. I’ve been happy with it from day 1. I’m getting my catted DP/FP put on in a few weeks. I’m hoping it will still retain its throatiness. I’m told it should.

crxFITcivicBOY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for sharing the feedback. Having a Hatchback sport and not Si, I’ve had to use feedback from Si owners on what mods they do (res delete / muffler delete / etc.) and what it sounds like. I ended up leaving stock resonator on mine but changing out the two chambered mufflers to a straight through magnaflow.

Good luck with what mods you do next!

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I have a resonator delete and had a Vibrant 1040 put on to replace the stock mufflers. It’s not super loud but it’s incredibly deep and throaty. I’ve been happy with it from day 1. I’m getting my catted DP/FP put on in a few weeks. I’m hoping it will still retain its throatiness. I’m told it should.
I can confirm this. I did the same setup and couldn't be happier. It also saved a bunch of weight with removing a muffler and all the S bends on piping. It is quiet when normal and BEAUTIFUL when you get on it. Absolutely NO DRONE!

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Thanks for sharing the feedback. Having a Hatchback sport and not Si, I’ve had to use feedback from Si owners on what mods they do (res delete / muffler delete / etc.) and what it sounds like. I ended up leaving stock resonator on mine but changing out the two chambered mufflers to a straight through magnaflow.

Good luck with what mods you do next!
I can confirm this. I did the same setup and couldn't be happier. It also saved a bunch of weight with removing a muffler and all the S bends on piping. It is quiet when normal and BEAUTIFUL when you get on it. Absolutely NO DRONE!
You guys mind sharing the part number of the muffler and tips you used?