So glad to have a dash cam! Close call!

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT

I was cruising around today and came up on an intersection which always raises my hairs and sure enough, a dipshit almost caused me to either T-bone him or get smashed head-on with incoming traffic. I was lucky that the truck was turning right. I'm sure if an accident had happened, I would have been to blame for running a red (when it was clearly green) or veering out of my lane into oncoming traffic.

I'm just glad to have a full-time dash cam to prove my innocence and now I'm even more motivated to finally install my rear cam as well. The only drawback I can tell is that the camera is so wide angled that it looks like I had plenty of time which I didn't and the mic didn't record a little tire screeching. The Civic can sure stop very well!

Also featured is my aftermarket, dual blaster horns which came through loud and clear in the closed, air conditioned cabin. It might not mean much but at least dipshit knows how very close he came to paying for my Caribbean cruise and him taking a taxi to work for a couple years.
Sponsored

Mustnabs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Before I read the thread it seemed that you had plenty of time. But you're right, the camera does make it seem that way!

OP
OP
Pearl

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
That's actually a good point because seeing is not always believing. Well, at least there's a discrepancy. I don't know if it's because of lens angle or YouTube frame rates but believe me, it was quite the scare from my human perspective behind the wheel.

The camera, being wide-angled, doesn't really capture the depth of view from my human eyes which was pretty damned close. Regardless of the split-second and angle minutiae, that dude clearly did not yield right of way. It wasn't my job to stop and wait for him to turn; it as his responsibility to wait until I had passed, along with anyone behind me, before making that turn.

Last edited:

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hm after seeing it many times it doesn't seem super bad. That driver was about 1 second too slow in turning which caused you to stop.

OP
OP
Pearl

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Hm after seeing it many times it doesn't seem super bad. That driver was about 1 second too slow in turning which caused you to stop.
I'm just glad I don't have a video of my new Civic being totaled. I'm not saying it's the scariest thing that's ever happened to me but it was definitely close. Again, the wide angle lens really "pushes" the scene far out to the viewer but sitting behind the wheel, it looked and felt different the antilock brakes were in effect.

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
whoever says that isn't a close call is crazy. that ish is close man! good for you that you payed attention.. that a hole! i would have followed that trashbag and scared the hell out of him but then again i'm childish haha

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like the camera angle is pretty good and did its job admirably. Looking at getting a second unit for my wifes HRV. Would love to see dash cams as an option installed in our rear view mirror.

uscourt3000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2009, Odyssey 2000, Odyssey 2016, Ridgeline 2013
I do have a dash cam at the back of my new Odyssey, as well as the front. ;-) I just hope (as usual) the recordings are never needed.
But this is a classic failure to yield the right of way... in 3 seconds you would have passed by, and the danger level would have dropped to zero.
People need to consider that a left turn typically involves driving onto a part of the road that's reserved for traffic going in the opposite direction! On the other hand, a huge number of lousy drivers cross solid lines all the time, so it's easy to think it's only a small extension to go from cutting across solid lines, to the inclusion of a near head-on collision.

OP
OP
Pearl

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Yeah, it's pretty cut and dry on the recording but in FL, a big percentage of drivers have no licenses and scat and any witnesses don't want to get involved and take off as well leaving me vulnerable to partial or total blame.

Good point about him just waiting though because I didn't mention that there was nobody behind me as far back as I could see. This happens a lot but this is the first time I've been testing my camera. I actually have a rear camera as well but have yet to install it. I also have a set of cameras for my other car. I could tell you about some pretty bad road-ragin' incidents of tailgating and then zooming around me for brake checking including the usual death threats. And no, I don't drive like a fossil, just normally.

I suspect that in the future, 360-degree cameras will become commonplace factory items due to the unfortunate human condition.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yeah, it's pretty cut and dry on the recording but in FL, a big percentage of drivers have no licenses and scat and any witnesses don't want to get involved and take off as well leaving me vulnerable to partial or total blame.

Good point about him just waiting though because I didn't mention that there was nobody behind me as far back as I could see. This happens a lot but this is the first time I've been testing my camera. I actually have a rear camera as well but have yet to install it. I also have a set of cameras for my other car. I could tell you about some pretty bad road-ragin' incidents of tailgating and then zooming around me for brake checking including the usual death threats. And no, I don't drive like a fossil, just normally.

I suspect that in the future, 360-degree cameras will become commonplace factory items due to the unfortunate human condition.
I know this is an old post, but an added thought..
Most Video editing software have an effect called "defish" that could be used to process the Dashcam video, to give a more accurate perspective closer to what the driver was actually seeing.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Cant really tell the speed of your vehicle or how hard you were braking, but definitely a bad move by that other driver.
Sponsored