Smooth Clutch?

Justinr1324

Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback LX 6sp MT
Country flag
When I got the car, my 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd gear engagements were never smooth, no matter how slow or careful I was about it. I drove a 2015 civic stick right before this 2017 hatchback, so I'm pretty used to stick. I figured the clutch just needed to be worn in a little. 6k miles later, and I still have the same issue. After the clutch grabs completely, the car jerks a little bit and then gets smooth. The only smooth shifts are when going into higher gears at low rpm.

My dad drove the car yesterday for the first time since the day we got it. I mentioned the issue to him and he couldn't shift without the jerkiness either. He said it shouldn't be like that and something might be wrong from factory.

Anyone know anything about this? Is there a trick I don't know, or is this a problem from factory? Thank you.

PS - I don't ride my clutch, abuse it, do burnouts, or anything that might ever put unnecessary stress on it which could cause this issue.
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
When I got the car, my 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd gear engagements were never smooth, no matter how slow or careful I was about it. I drove a 2015 civic stick right before this 2017 hatchback, so I'm pretty used to stick. I figured the clutch just needed to be worn in a little. 6k miles later, and I still have the same issue. After the clutch grabs completely, the car jerks a little bit and then gets smooth. The only smooth shifts are when going into higher gears at low rpm.

My dad drove the car yesterday for the first time since the day we got it. I mentioned the issue to him and he couldn't shift without the jerkiness either. He said it shouldn't be like that and something might be wrong from factory.

Anyone know anything about this? Is there a trick I don't know, or is this a problem from factory? Thank you.

PS - I don't ride my clutch, abuse it, do burnouts, or anything that might ever put unnecessary stress on it which could cause this issue.
Totally agreed buddy. Being driving manuals for 12yrs - no issues. First 3k on my hatch it was jerking on me like crazy. It's either got better by 5K or I just got used to it. Same crap - first three gears kinda jerk, the rest is pretty smooth. If you drive with the windows opened in a relatively quite area you can even hear clutch engaging. Feels better now though. Still love the car and wouldn't buy a CVT looking back

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine actually seems very smooth. I assumed that was because off the dual mass flywheel.

OP
OP
Justinr1324

Justinr1324

Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback LX 6sp MT
Country flag
The sport and lx share the exact same transmission right? If there is a small difference, that could explain why @360glitch doesn't have an issue, but @parshisa and I do. Might call/walk in to the shop at my dealership and ask if they've had any other complaints.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
The sport and lx share the exact same transmission right? If there is a small difference, that could explain why @360glitch doesn't have an issue, but @parshisa and I do. Might call/walk in to the shop at my dealership and ask if they've had any other complaints.
To be honest with you I don't find it being a problem anymore. I think I really got used to it. What is more annoying is a rev hang. It's harder to get used to and I still didn't. But eventually I think I will. My advise - drive it and enjoy every minute behind the wheel of the car, just like I do. lol.

aquasurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Euro CU2
When I got the car, my 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd gear engagements were never smooth, no matter how slow or careful I was about it. .......
This problem can be caused by rev hang where revs do not drop fast enough. Try this "fix" to avoid jerkiness: Accelerate in low gear, back off throttle (for gear change) but do not press clutch immediately. Allow one second or even longer and then hit the clutch. By then the revs should have dropped low enough for you make a smooth shift. I realize this is a stupid way to drive but at least it gets you over the jerky shifts. You can read more about rev hang here and see charts and videos.
Sponsored