Smart Key Fob dead after attempted battery replacement

Foggyday4111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic EX
Country flag
Both of my key fobs were low on battery so I attempted to replace the battery on both. I used the same type of battery as it had before and installed it correctly with brand new batteries but now the fob does not work at all. The red light does not illuminate when buttons are pressed. I tried using the old low batteries and that does not work either. I'm thinking I may have shorted the circuit when trying to pry the old batteries out with a metal flathead screwdriver. Has this happened to anyone else?

Model: 2017 Civic EX
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Both of my key fobs were low on battery so I attempted to replace the battery on both. I used the same type of battery as it had before and installed it correctly with brand new batteries but now the fob does not work at all. The red light does not illuminate when buttons are pressed. I tried using the old low batteries and that does not work either. I'm thinking I may have shorted the circuit when trying to pry the old batteries out with a metal flathead screwdriver. Has this happened to anyone else?

Model: 2017 Civic EX
How about some pictures of what you did ?

Are you 100% Sure you put the new battery in the right way up ?

OP
OP

Foggyday4111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic EX
Country flag
100% sure. I even tried flipping the batteries over and still no red light or response from the car. I replaced the battery using the standard way that's shown in plenty of youtube videos.

Honda Civic 10th gen Smart Key Fob dead after attempted battery replacement IMG_7858

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Can you get inside the car? Do you have push to start? Instead of using your finger, use the fob to push the start button. See if that help.

OP
OP

Foggyday4111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic EX
Country flag
Can you get inside the car? Do you have push to start? Instead of using your finger, use the fob to push the start button. See if that help.
I can get inside the car using the key and holding the fob up to the start button just fine. But the remote entry/start system does not work :(

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
As a last resort, are you sure the metal prongs that make connection to each side of the battery are good? Did you bend them in any way?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Ugh. If it were me; I'd remove the batteries and just let the fobs sit for a half hour or so. I don't know how the thing is designed. But there's not much to lose by trying this.

Good luck.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe try different new batteries?

OP
OP

Foggyday4111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic EX
Country flag
As a last resort, are you sure the metal prongs that make connection to each side of the battery are good? Did you bend them in any way?
the prongs seem okay. don't think its that.

Ugh. If it were me; I'd remove the batteries and just let the fobs sit for a half hour or so. I don't know how the thing is designed. But there's not much to lose by trying this.

Good luck.
I'll try this and report back if it works.

Maybe try different new batteries?
Gonna try this too. I have doubts though because I tried using the old "low" batteries and those did not work either.

I think I just ran into the same situations as this guy, though I don't think I was excessively enthusiastic while changing the battery.
I guess it's possible to break the thing while changing the battery with excessive enthusiasm.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/broke-my-key-fob-after-replacing-battery.26230/
Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it

Honda Civic 10th gen Smart Key Fob dead after attempted battery replacement Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 2.57.23 PM

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Correct battery polarity is shown. You can see a big + (plus sign) molded into the back cover.

On the left edge of the battery holder, near the center of the fob, you can see curved metal strips which touch the edge of the battery. This makes the connection to the + side of the battery. Under the battery the little fingers in the center touch the - (minus) terminal of the battery.

Make sure the edge of the battery is making a good connection to the curved metal strips on the side. In your photo it doesn't appear that your battery is pushed into the left side all the way.

n3umw

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe 1.5L CVT
Country flag
I work in electronics, it's very unlikely that shorting it with a metal screwdriver would do more than drain the battery. Putting the battery in up-side down should not hurt either. In your photo, the clips on the left next to the CR2032 text are under the battery, they need to be hooked over the battery for it to make proper contact. Install that side of the battery first, then snap down the other side next to the plus sign.
Sponsored