Slipping/winding noise on startup and CVT malfunction

Dtfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback, 2004 Acura TSX, 2001 Chevy Silverado
Hello civic owners! I am new to this forum and just recently bought a 2017 Civic hatchback. This forum seems to have a lot of great information and I am hoping to learn a great amount from you guys and hopefully return the favor! I have done a few minor visual mods such as clear corners, LED interior lighting, LED headlights, and LED turn signals.

I have had the LEDs installed probably within the past 2-3 weeks. So within the past week or two I have noticed 2 problems with my vehicle.

Problem number one: There is a strange winding/slipping noise heard from the engine bay when I start the vehicle (almost like the sound of a bad VCT actuator), but it doesn't happen on cold starts in the morning. It usually happens after having it parked for a few hours after a drive.

Problem number two: The CVT does not seem to not shift as smoothly or accelerate as it use to when I drive it. Most noticeable problem is when I am slowing down (say at a stop light or in a parking lot) it feels as if the transmission goes out of gear (when I press the break slightly enough to turn brake lights on), and then into gear (when I release brake). But when it goes into gear it jerks the car forward very noticeably. I know there aren't any gears on a CVT as it uses pulleys, its just the only way I could explain what is happening.

So I schedule an appointment with my dealer and remove the LED headlights and turn signals before hand (as I didn't want to risk having the dealer harassing me about voiding the warrantee for aftermarket parts). On the way to the dealer, the car drove just as it should like when I first got it. Transmission is smooth and accelerates better. So my thought was...could the LEDs have caused some type of voltage error that caused the CVT to malfunction? Is this even possible and why would Honda allow for something so simple to cause this? Honda has my car now and left me with a rental to see if they can replicate the issue, but the tech told me since the car is so new, they couldn't hook it up to any diagnostics and there were no recalls on it.

So my questions are...what do you think is causing the noise at start up. And what do you think would be the cause of my transmission situation?

I appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored

Last edited:

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello civic owners! I am new to this forum and just recently bought a 2017 Civic hatchback. This forum seems to have a lot of great information and I am hoping to learn a great amount from you guys and hopefully return the favor! I have done a few minor visual mods such as clear corners, LED interior lighting, LED headlights, and LED turn signals.

I have had the LEDs installed probably within the past 2-3 weeks. So within the past week or two I have noticed 2 problems with my vehicle.

Problem number one: There is a strange winding/slipping noise heard from the engine bay when I start the vehicle (almost like the sound of a bad VCT actuator), but it doesn't happen on cold starts in the morning. It usually happens after having it parked for a few hours after a drive.

Problem number two: The CVT does not seem to not shift as smoothly or accelerate as it use to when I drive it. Most noticeable problem is when I am slowing down (say at a stop light or in a parking lot) it feels as if the transmission goes out of gear (when I press the break slightly enough to turn brake lights on), and then into gear (when I release brake). But when it goes into gear it jerks the car forward very noticeably. I know there aren't any gears on a CVT as it uses pulleys, its just the only way I could explain what is happening.

So I schedule an appointment with my dealer and remove the LED headlights and turn signals before hand (as I didn't want to risk having the dealer harassing me about voiding the warrantee for aftermarket parts). On the way to the dealer, the car drove just as it should like when I first got it. Transmission is smooth and accelerates better. So my thought was...could the LEDs have caused some type of voltage error that caused the CVT to malfunction? Is this even possible and why would Honda allow for something so simple to cause this? Honda has my car now and left me with a rental to see if they can replicate the issue, but the tech told me since the car is so new, they couldn't hook it up to any diagnostics and there were no recalls on it.

So my questions are...what do you think is causing the noise at start up. And what do you think would be the cause of my transmission situation?

I appreciate any feedback!
Wow there's so many threads on here about the jerky cvt transmission. I posted about mine back January 2016 had it for about a week. Got no where with Honda. And people have different opinions on here about it. Three times I brought my car to Honda and first time they kept it for a week. The told me the transmission is operating normaly and there is nothing they can do.

So unfortunately you have to just deal with it.
I personally am selling it for this reason plus a few other.
Good luck with you civic.

Rob_13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yep i have both these issues and its just random and nearly impossible to replicate on command. A trip to dealer is basically pointless i just notified the dealer of these issues when i took in for service and that's about it, they kept it for the day and couldn't find anything wrong with it. a friend of a friend that works there told me i wasn't the first time hearing about it either so its seems a pretty common problem.
I personally am selling it for this reason plus a few other.
THIS im glad i leased it

DrGiggleFr1tz

I love me some hatch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
This worries me because I've noticed the winding thing the last couple of days. I've only had my Civic for a couple of weeks too.

Idk how to explain it but it also seems to riding a bit.. rough. It even sounds different to me. But I've also noticed this after driving the car for a short time compared to constant driving throughout the day.

OP
OP
Dtfish

Dtfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah took it to the dealer, they held it for a day and said there is nothing wrong with it...then I ask "so am I supposed to drive my month old car unfixed?" and I get a reply saying "just heard back again from our tech, said it is just the high pressure fuel pump"....what bull...Thing is i showed them a video took of the noise when I took it in and they agreed something was up. So they basically have no idea what is wrong or do not want to do anything about it. Pretty upset

OP
OP
Dtfish

Dtfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yep i have both these issues and its just random and nearly impossible to replicate on command. A trip to dealer is basically pointless i just notified the dealer of these issues when i took in for service and that's about it, they kept it for the day and couldn't find anything wrong with it. a friend of a friend that works there told me i wasn't the first time hearing about it either so its seems a pretty common problem.
THIS im glad i leased it
Are either of you guys running aftermarket LEDs?

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Are either of you guys running aftermarket LEDs?
Im gonna agree to finding this out... As there have been mentions of aftermarket lighting making things go haywire.. Theres even some members that are forbidding themselves from changing lights due to this..

I will also add that back in 2011 when i was still a tech at bmw.. We had a car that 7 techs looked at... 7!! For a weird engine hickup and many cel warnighs/codes... After many cougar tickets... Corporate called and suggested changing all the bulbs 1 by 1.. The entire issue was resolved when we changed the passenger side marker bulb.... So ya... Dont blame a dealer... Although they are usually wrong... These cars have soo much going on.. And so many systems are interconnected that you would think it couldnt cause the issue.. Or no way..

AFTER we figured it out with that bulb change with 7 techs.. 2 managers.. 1 tech was from a nearby dealer (bmw asked him to come investigate, hes considered the 3rd best master tech on the planet) and engineers from corporate..

When we explained to the customer were the problem came from.. He literally told us to eff ourselves and tell him to tell him the real problem.. He never came again...

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As with any aftermarket part, if its made cheaply or incorrectly, it can adversely affect the vehicle. Lighting is no different.

CivCoupe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Coupe EX, 2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
Yeah took it to the dealer, they held it for a day and said there is nothing wrong with it...then I ask "so am I supposed to drive my month old car unfixed?" and I get a reply saying "just heard back again from our tech, said it is just the high pressure fuel pump"....what bull...Thing is i showed them a video took of the noise when I took it in and they agreed something was up. So they basically have no idea what is wrong or do not want to do anything about it. Pretty upset
I noticed this noise from the first day I drove my car last May and was able to replicate the noise with the hood up right in front of my service tech. He also told me it was the fuel pump, but started a service bulletin with American Honda. Haven't heard anything since.

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Touring
I too have the weird sound at startup, randomly. Mine is usually in the morning/cold start but will also do it after being parked at the mall for an hour. It's done it since day one. I'm going to make a trip to Honda next month when I'm back in town & have them check everything out. Im sure I have a recall or two. I'm 1k miles away from my 30k mile service. Not looking forward to hearing the price of that! I'll keep you guys updated to any useful information I get. The Honda by my house is very nice & newer. And doesn't hurt that it's right next to a beautiful Porsche dealer.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
If you search the internets, you can find information on LEDs (and especially low quality LEDs) causing EMI (electromagnetic interference).

@Dtfish, could you let us know if your CVT problems go away (stay away) with the aftermarket LEDs removed?

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you search the internets, you can find information on LEDs (and especially low quality LEDs) causing EMI (electromagnetic interference).

@Dtfish, could you let us know if your CVT problems go away (stay away) with the aftermarket LEDs removed?
So our LED's could be what is causing the noise at startup? It definitely sounds like it's coming from around the Intercooler I would guess. If it's the LED's could you upgrade said stock ones with nicer high end ones? If so, do you know any good reliable brands? I have a '16 Touring.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
So our LED's could be what is causing the noise at startup? It definitely sounds like it's coming from around the Intercooler I would guess. If it's the LED's could you upgrade said stock ones with nicer high end ones? If so, do you know any good reliable brands? I have a '16 Touring.
The stock leds on the touring would no be causing this.. And alsobare not upgradeable
Or changeable

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
There are threads on Civic (and other Honda) startup noises, VTC actuator and fuel pump being the most common suspects.

I think the 'aftermarket' LEDs could be suspect to causing computer control issues in the car (i.e ECU) as 'aftermarket' LEDs may have inferior electronics and/or shielding that might cause problems. I would trust Honda to not let a factory installed LED interfere with other components.

darkseas

#StillStatic FC1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are threads on Civic (and other Honda) startup noises, VTC actuator and fuel pump being the most common suspects.

I think the 'aftermarket' LEDs could be suspect to causing computer control issues in the car (i.e ECU) as 'aftermarket' LEDs may have inferior electronics and/or shielding that might cause problems. I would trust Honda to not let a factory installed LED interfere with other components.
All of my LEDs are stock. So I'll look into the other things things you mentioned. Thanks so much! Have a bitchin' day!
-T
Dark Seas Detail & Wraps Co.

Honda Civic 10th gen Slipping/winding noise on startup and CVT malfunction IMG_3606.PNG
Sponsored