Skid Plate Hanging - Sport Hatch question

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Hi All

I have seen the other threads regarding skid plate, but I have a question that I am hoping someone with a hatchback can answer.

My aluminum skid plate caught on something and I am trying to figure out getting it back together...body shop quoted $432 to replace it. After looking at it, I have no intention to pay that kind of money for something that isn't seen.

My question...can someone tell me whether the plastic piece in front of the skid plate goes UNDER or OVER the aluminum part. Mine is currently over, but I suspect under is correct, and that there are two clips (that are now missing on mine) that hold the plastic part up against the aluminum part.

After reading this, I realize it's not super clear. The question is which piece is closer to the ground when it is on correctly...is the plastic closer to the ground with the clips going though the plastic, holding the plastic up to the aluminum or vice versa.

I don't have a great pic, but here you can see the aluminum hanging below the plastic.

Any help is super appreciated!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Skid Plate Hanging - Sport Hatch question IMG_20181025_180547452
Sponsored

OP
OP

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In case it helps anyone, I found out that the skid plate has to be removed to change the oil and clearly my dealer left the two front screws out.

From a video online, here is how it should look. Arrow points out the screw(s) that they didn't put back on.

Honda Civic 10th gen Skid Plate Hanging - Sport Hatch question upload_2018-11-1_12-35-40

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

tts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Civic SI, 16 EX-L
Country flag
I had the same thing happen to me, dealer forgot to bolt it back up after an oil change. I was unlucky and mine caught on something while driving on the highway and completely curled up, so I was forced to buy a new one. The dealer and Honda corp refused to do anything about it...

Anyway, lesson learned don't even take an oil change for granted.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
My Civic did not have that problem, but it was piece of thin metal sticking out underneath the car after my first oil change. Lazy tech's just pryed it back instead of unscrewing it. In fact most other civics I see over the crest of a hill when driving have the same metal thing sticking out. I fixed it after my first oil change I did myself.

OP
OP

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I should have thought to reply before now.

I called the dealer, told them what happened, and they set up an appointment to have it replaced. They ordered the part and I went in on a Saturday morning.

My annoyance was that what is a 3-minute job ended up taking an hour and 45 minutes because they put me in line. I expect it after an issue that was caused by them that they might just put me in the front of the line and fix the issue in 3 minutes. Apparently not the case.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fk dealers. A monkey could do a better job than a dipshit who loses screws.
And, if it was my car, I'd be checking everything they touched, namely the oil drain plug.

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
Fk dealers. A monkey could do a better job than a dipshit who loses screws.
And, if it was my car, I'd be checking everything they touched, namely the oil drain plug.

Only the lazy or fools even let a dealership touch their vehicle for "routine maintenance" ...

Horror stories of Stealerships ive heard.
Forgot to tighten oil plug, fried motor.
Forgot to install skid plate, correctly.
Forgot to add fucking OIL to a new engine.
Forgot to update ECU.
Failed to rotate and balance correctly (nkt enough wheel weights)
List goes on....

2015 Lx never saw a dealer. My 18 SI will never see a dealer. Inless a major warranty needs to occur.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Yeah that flimsy piece of aluminum is not available individually, you have to buy the whole assembly :( And it is not cheap to replace.

miguel213

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Ex hatchback
Does anybody know a link where I could buy a brand new skillet play for my 2018 Honda civic EX hatchback besides the dealer ??

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
You can buy some aftermarket one on ali express but the cooling vents are not there. Much thicker than the stock one though

ayeerock

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civc FK7 Sport
Country flag
You can buy some aftermarket one on ali express but the cooling vents are not there. Much thicker than the stock one though
Link? Im having trouble finding it.

TheDeadlyFlamingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Pretty happy I found this thread. My skid plate is having the same issue, missing the bolts and bowed downwards slightly. I walked into the dealer expecting to pay $5 for the bolts and they told me they're $5 EACH BOLT. What a ripoff....

How many of those quarter turn bolts does the skid plate need? Are there any other types of bolts/screws that hold this plate in place?
Sponsored