SiriMoto Oil Cooler Kit: Be gone high oil temps!

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
If you go on spirited drives or track your 10th Gen 1.5T Civic, you seriously might want to consider this new product we just got in stock:

SiriMoto Engine Oil Cooler Kit: https://www.procivic.com/…/sirimoto-engine-oil-cooler-kit.h…

It addresses probably the biggest shortcoming of the 1.5T motor (including the Si), which is that engine oil temps can skyrocket because of the high output of this motor and the fact that the engine oil is circulated through the very hot turbocharger unit. The factory oil system does not have anything in place to keep the engine oil cool.

This applies even more if you've modified your 10th Gen to produce more power or it is hot outside. The bottom line is the ECU will reduce ignition timing and lower boost levels as needed to save your engine and turbocharger from failing when oil temps get too high. This obviously causes a large drop in power. If you track your Civic or drive it aggressively for awhile, you might have already noticed this occurring. We found this out early on in our track testing of our first 10th Gen EXT Civic and knew there needed to be a solution.

Luckily for us and anyone else who likes to drive their Civic aggressively, there is now a complete solution that will keep your 1.5L turbo engine oil (and engine) from overheating. The great part is that this SiriMoto Oil Cooler Kit is 100% bolt-on, and comes with everything you need for the installation, even hex keys and an aluminum AN wrench! The kit was very carefully designed over the past year to exacting tolerances, and no expense was spared on the quality of the components.

Here are some quick specs on the 10th Gen 1.5T kit, but follow the product link at the top of the post for even more details.
  • Pre-Assembled -10AN hoses (Qty. 2).
  • -10AN ORB to Male Port Adapter Fittings (Qty. 3).
  • 90-degree -10AN Female Union (Qty. 1).
  • All aluminum 19-Row Oil Cooler Core with Mounting Brackets. Coated in a silver finish for corrosion resistance.
  • Core Size: 285mm x 150mm (11.2" x 5.9").
  • Core Thickness: 50mm (1.96").
  • Sirimoto Oil Filter Take-Off.
  • SiriMoto Oil Filter Pedestal and Bracket.
  • SiriMoto Black Fender Washers with Rubber Nuts.
  • Silver Zinc Coated Flanged Hex Head Hardware.
  • -10AN Aluminum Wrench and 3mm Ball-End Hex Key.
  • Blue Thread Locker.
  • Fluid Capacity Increase: ~1 Qt.
  • Optional Oil Filter: PLM Style (PCX filter not recommended due to space constraints).
Honda Civic 10th gen SiriMoto Oil Cooler Kit: Be gone high oil temps! 44881_3176___sm-hc16-ock-nt_oil-20cooler-20kit-20img-201-

Honda Civic 10th gen SiriMoto Oil Cooler Kit: Be gone high oil temps! sirimoto-oil-cooler-kit_lrg-

(Honda oil filter not included)

Honda Civic 10th gen SiriMoto Oil Cooler Kit: Be gone high oil temps! 44882_3176___sm-hc16-ock-nt_oil-20cooler-20kit-20core-20close-20up-

Looking to do the install on your own or just curious about how it fits? Check out our full install video:

Last edited:

simply_the_best

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (FC1), 1999 Toyota Corolla
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally a oil cooler setup! Only question is it using a thermostatic oil adapter? Without a thermostat the oil temps will take forever to get up to safe temps to actually get on the throttle.

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Finally a oil cooler setup! Only question is it using a thermostatic oil adapter? Without a thermostat the oil temps will take forever to get up to safe temps to actually get on the throttle.

I think Its alittle pricing as well. Im thinking of picking this up though :)

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We decided not to include a thermostatic option because in our testing it wasn't needed for this new Civic. Oil comes up to nominal temps at an acceptable rate (almost as fast as stock). This is different from previous generation Civics, and is probably due to the turbocharger and the compact size of this new engine. Also, even if you were to run full throttle at cold temps, the low viscosity oil used in the new Civics helps prevent any engine oil starvation issues. Despite this, whether or not you get this oil cooler kit, I would always recommend letting the car warm up a bit before doing aggressive driving.

simply_the_best

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We decided not to include a thermostatic option because in our testing it wasn't needed for this new Civic. Oil comes up to nominal temps at an acceptable rate (almost as fast as stock). This is different from previous generation Civics, and is probably due to the turbocharger and the compact size of this new engine. Also, even if you were to run full throttle at cold temps, the low viscosity oil used in the new Civics helps prevent any engine oil starvation issues. Despite this, whether or not you get this oil cooler kit, I would always recommend letting the car warm up a bit before doing aggressive driving.
What are the before and after temp differences? Have you gotten actual numbers? That would be great as I'm curious thanks!!

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What are the before and after temp differences? Have you gotten actual numbers? That would be great as I'm curious thanks!!
From our track runs on the hot summer days, we found an average drop of around 30 deg. F. However, keep in mind without this cooler, we had to stop driving the car sometimes, since oil temps just kept climbing and we didn't want to damage the engine or turbo.

simply_the_best

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From our track runs on the hot summer days, we found an average drop of around 30 deg. F. However, keep in mind without this cooler, we had to stop driving the car sometimes, since oil temps just kept climbing and we didn't want to damage the engine or turbo.
Do you have an actual number of what the temps were in Fahrenheit at its hottest and average?

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have an actual number of what the temps were in Fahrenheit at its hottest and average?
Yes, the hottest temps without the cooler were 275 F, and we had to cool down the car at that point. They would have gone higher. There is no real average to measure since it just keeps going up.

With the cooler, temps maxed at 250 F and would not go higher. I would say the average temps with the cooler were around 230 to 240 F. Again, we tested it in above 100 F weather and were really driving the car hard. Also, we didn't have the mesh grille installed during these test: https://www.procivic.com/p/m/civic/pro-design-honeycomb-performance-mesh-grille.html

The grille might drop the temps another 15 F or so, just a guess.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it have a connection for a temp sender so we can add an oil temp gauge then?

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does it have a connection for a temp sender so we can add an oil temp gauge then?
Yes, it actually has 3 extra ports! They are the small threaded holes (1/8" NPT female) in the picture below:

Honda Civic 10th gen SiriMoto Oil Cooler Kit: Be gone high oil temps! 44869_3173___SM-H20-OFP-10A_Back

simply_the_best

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, the hottest temps without the cooler were 275 F, and we had to cool down the car at that point. They would have gone higher. There is no real average to measure since it just keeps going up.

With the cooler, temps maxed at 250 F and would not go higher. I would say the average temps with the cooler were around 230 to 240 F. Again, we tested it in above 100 F weather and were really driving the car hard. Also, we didn't have the mesh grille installed during these test: https://www.procivic.com/p/m/civic/pro-design-honeycomb-performance-mesh-grille.html

The grille might drop the temps another 15 F or so, just a guess.
Sweet those are the results I was looking for. I have already ordered the kit pretty much when you had posted this just wanted to know actual numbers. My kit is already installed. Thanks again!!!!

Guardian7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback, 2015 CR-V EX
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking about buying the kit but I don't understand why the filter had to be relocated instead of just using a spin on adapter plate? Also, how much does the oil capacity increase?

PS. Your videos are great and give diy types like myself confidence in buying and installing your products, keep making them!

Mark

Last edited:

simply_the_best

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm thinking about buying the kit but I don't understand why the filter had to be relocated instead of just using a spin on adapter plate? Also, how much does the oil capacity increase?

PS. Your videos are great and give diy types like myself confidence in buying and installing your products, keep making them!

Mark
There is no space for an adapter plate. It’s too close to the oil pan and a/c compressor. That little relocation allows you to run the cooler.

ruddyrid@procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FB6 (Sold)
Country flag

Mark
The oil filter had to be relocated due to space constraints. The AC Compressor and Oil Pan fit tightly around the filter, also installing a sandwich plate will move the filter down. This would be an issue as it leaves the filter to be vulnerable in the event that the car goes off track, hits a speed bump/curb, etc.

Oil capacity increases by about 1 quart on this kit .

Guardian7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback, 2015 CR-V EX
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys that is what I suspected, and while universal kits are more affordable they will have the problems you mentioned so this helps make my decision. I am also interested in the Mishimoto Power Steering and Transmission Oil Cooler Kit for my 2017 Honda Sport Hatchback CVT along with a the mesh grill, the mesh grill is hands down the best looking grill on the market!

Ruddy, any plans to do an install video for the Mishimoto Power Steering and Transmission Oil Cooler kit?

Mark
Sponsored