SiriMoto E85 Flex Fuel Kit for the FK8 Civic Type R!

PanTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So let me get this straight.. so can I run on 91 octane with the flex fuel tank and no e85 mix in case if I am on a road trip and can’t find any e85 gas stations? Also for clarification it does not matter if I go above 40 percent blend because no matter what the tune will adjust for 40 percent regardless? Thanks
Sponsored

PanTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Also what happens if the sensor that monitors the ethanol content fails? Is there a safety built into the system?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
So let me get this straight.. so can I run on 91 octane with the flex fuel tank and no e85 mix in case if I am on a road trip and can’t find any e85 gas stations? Also for clarification it does not matter if I go above 40 percent blend because no matter what the tune will adjust for 40 percent regardless? Thanks
Yup. The whole point of flex fuel is to be ... flexible. You can run straight pump gas if you'd like and it'll auto adjust the fuel trims and boost/ign timing for 91 octane. Run a 30%, it'll adjust for 30%, if it's 40%, it'll adjust for 40%, etc.

The tune doesn't adjust for 40 percent regardless of what's inside. It adjusts for the amount of ethanol % that is inside the tank.

Gmedalion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8 and other Hondas (only 50 characters?)
Country flag
I can pump a full tank of e85 and it will only run the 40% tune? Just rather not run from one pump to the next if I’m being lazy to get 30-40% mix or if I run it at the track and will only bring e85 5 gallon jugs. TIA

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can pump a full tank of e85 and it will only run the 40% tune? Just rather not run from one pump to the next if I’m being lazy to get 30-40% mix or if I run it at the track and will only bring e85 5 gallon jugs. TIA
Negative. The ECU will tune for E85. If you pump in 40%, it'll tune for E40, and so forth.

If you go all the way to E85 you will lose power and waste money since the fuel system can't supply the necessary fuel to support what E85 represents as potential power output.

E40 is where Hondata have found the ideal balance to be. Having run it at E40, I tend to agree.

Remember - as E goes up, boost goes down, and vice versa, to keep the fuel system at a safe level. So at E85, you've pushed boost way down, compared to E40. At E10, you're running plenty of boost which gets the turbo out of its ideal efficiency envelope but with room to spare in the fuel system.

I'm not technically inclined enough to dive much further into it but that's how I understand it to work.

lorenkb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Yes you can be lazy, no it's not just running a 40% tune.

Both ignition timing compensation and air charge (boost) limiting are scaled based on ethanol content, 0 - 100%. Full timing compensation is reached at 40%, no gains above that. Boost is aggressively limited with increased ethanol content due to high pressure fuel pump overhead. Ethanol content above 40% will make less power due to boost limiting.

PanTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Oh so basically we need to upgrade our fuel pumps and then that’s when we will realize the potential of the flex fuel kit at e85, correct?

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag
Oh so basically we need to upgrade our fuel pumps and then that’s when we will realize the potential of the flex fuel kit at e85, correct?
Yes, but no one makes an upgraded high pressure fuel pump yet.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Either an upgraded high pressure fuel pump or port injection or meth injection. Basically anything to introduce more fuel into the engine.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Either an upgraded high pressure fuel pump or port injection or meth injection. Basically anything to introduce more fuel into the engine.
Mhmh, i could sworn i saw a port injection for the type r already...

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

Gmedalion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8 and other Hondas (only 50 characters?)
Country flag
Thanks for the education!!

Fk8tjt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda type r 2018
Country flag
Is anyone else with mods having or had trouble with the flex fuel? I have a catless downpipe and I would be a little nervous about playing with the air settings to prevent the fuel pump to be maxed out. Also can I fill up a 55 gal drum at the pump? Lol

Last edited:

VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
What kind of tires is everyone using to maintain traction? I'm running Hondata's 93, intercooler, downpipe, improved throttle response calibration (and new traction control) and I have none until 3rd gear (4th when the pavement's cold).

I'm asking this in all sincerity. How are y'all making use of this additional power?

Thanks.
Sponsored