Significant CarPlay/Connection Issue(s) with iPhone 7

DanTurboCivicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Hey guys - I know there are a few others out there who recently upgraded. I love CarPlay and especially the ability to browse all my music from Apple Music right on the dash. It has been nothing but issues for me since getting the new phone, however. Disconnects on its own frequently even though plugged in...causes Honda dash to go black, freeze and eventually reboot (which takes several minutes).

Anyone else having similar issues? I have tried restarting phone, car, etc and it keeps doing it. I also have a VW Golf R with CarPlay and experience similar issues...so pretty confident its the phone/software.
Sponsored

LoneWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Have you checked with the dealer to see if there is a software/firmware update for your audio system? I'm sure Honda will probably be working to improve compatibility with the latest iPhone 7 release, but if yours is out of date, it could be a newer version would bring things closer to where you want it to be.

I myself am having Bluetooth quirks/issues with my iPhone 6 after upgrading to iOS 10. While for everything else it works great, this one issue makes me wish I'd stayed on 9.3.5.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
myself am having Bluetooth quirks/issues with my iPhone 6 after upgrading to iOS 10. While for everything else it works great, this one issue makes me wish I'd stayed on 9.3.5.
Can you please specifically describe what quirks/issues you've been having?

adonaghy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Pulled the trigger on a 2016 Touring Wed. I have probably purchased over 20 new cars in my life and this is my first Honda. Love the car but..... I am sad to say Apple CarPlay is completely broken. If I plug it in the usual situation is some buzzing, broken audio and often total system lockups. I have had it work for a few minutes here and there but it doesn't last long and now it will not work at all. I took it to the dealer the next day and they have no idea. I have tried resetting the head unit and the Iphone. Multiple cables tried. I have tried the enable once trick I read about here. Nothing works. I have been using bluetooth streaming instead. Which isn't without bugs itself. Bluetooth sometimes cuts out when I use a blinker? right or left. It comes back in after a minute or so. This is so frustrating. I have an IPhone 7 plus running the latest version of IOS 10. The service manager tried his IPhone 6 running IOS 10 and it didn't work either. He indicated there was no software updates available and requested I leave the car for more diagnostic work at a later date.

I really hope this gets resolved. Such a fantastic car otherwise.

dangerousbri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
Hey guys - I know there are a few others out there who recently upgraded. I love CarPlay and especially the ability to browse all my music from Apple Music right on the dash. It has been nothing but issues for me since getting the new phone, however. Disconnects on its own frequently even though plugged in...causes Honda dash to go black, freeze and eventually reboot (which takes several minutes).

Anyone else having similar issues? I have tried restarting phone, car, etc and it keeps doing it. I also have a VW Golf R with CarPlay and experience similar issues...so pretty confident its the phone/software.
I figured out today what the problem is. Once the phone locks then carplay goes dead and takes the whole unit with it. So if you are playing a podcast the podcast keeps playing but the unit says there is no phone connected. The steering wheel controls still work. The only way to get carplay back up is to restart the iphone. If you take the auto screen lock off carplay works.....I haven't left the car not locked the phone and gotten back in to see if it still works or not. Definitely doesn't work if you lock the phone while walking around and then get back in the car though.

SnappingCobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I figured out today what the problem is. Once the phone locks then carplay goes dead and takes the whole unit with it. So if you are playing a podcast the podcast keeps playing but the unit says there is no phone connected. The steering wheel controls still work. The only way to get carplay back up is to restart the iphone. If you take the auto screen lock off carplay works.....I haven't left the car not locked the phone and gotten back in to see if it still works or not. Definitely doesn't work if you lock the phone while walking around and then get back in the car though.
Just curious because I have an iPhone 7 plus running latest version of iOS 10 and use CarPlay almost everyday with no issues. Have you guys gone on your iPhone under Settings then under General, then down to CarPlay, then selected your vehicle(Honda), there should be an option that says "Allow CarPlay while locked" make sure that is turned on. That allows CarPlay to work even when your phone is locked. If you already did that then I apologize and hopefully you are able to figure out the issue. Hope this helps.

Sammie_hun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I only started having issues after I updated my iphone 6 plus to ios 10. Now, every time I enter my car, I need to connect my phone once then disconnect it and reconnect it again in order for carplay to initiate. Spotify is being whack as well, it'll work sometimes and sometimes it won't. I dont know what the problem is. Connecting wasn't a problem before i updated my phone. I thought I was the only one having a problem.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
If this helps, do a recovery mode install, it will wipe the phone of old files. The setup as new phone. I know a PITA, but with a new IOS, it is the best route.

orangecrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
I only started having issues after I updated my iphone 6 plus to ios 10. Now, every time I enter my car, I need to connect my phone once then disconnect it and reconnect it again in order for carplay to initiate. Spotify is being whack as well, it'll work sometimes and sometimes it won't. I dont know what the problem is. Connecting wasn't a problem before i updated my phone. I thought I was the only one having a problem.
I have had the same issue with Spotify! So frustrating -- the app crashes, the iPhone freezes. It's as though my iPhone and my new Civic don't know how to get along yet...

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
I have had the same issue with Spotify! So frustrating -- the app crashes, the iPhone freezes. It's as though my iPhone and my new Civic don't know how to get along yet...
I am going to stick with the HU. not having enough RAM. you can prove this by using the service menu and disable Android Auto and rebooting. It will allow ACP to run smoother, but not 100% though.