Side Mirror LANE WATCH Camera Oddity

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX-T '13 Accord Sport '08 Scion xD '94 Altima
Strange thing happened on my drive this morning. An unmarked public vehicle (maybe cop) Ford Taurus was behind me on the interstate with its amber parking lights on.

But when I looked at it in my LANE WATCH camera, the lights were in full LED "I'm pulling you over, pal" STROBE MODE.

I looked back and forth between my rear view and LANE WATCH several times, and the rear view never showed the strobe effect. Wish I could have recorded it.

WEIRD!!!

Anyone else experience anything like this from a Honda camera?
Sponsored

Soma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Camera's catch the pulse or strobe of LED lights but the human eye can't. I'm sure if you look at videos of cars equipped with LED's on Youtube you will see the strobe effect you're describing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
87Si89Base16EXT

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camera's catch the pulse or strobe of LED lights but the human eye can't. I'm sure if you look at videos of cars equipped with LED's on Youtube you will see the strobe effect you're describing.
Thanks! So you're saying ALL LED's do that, and not just bc it was a cop car? If I record nighttime LED headlights coming at me, they will strobe?

Fascinating (Spock voice). I will look for that.

Besides, never would have thought his lights were LED ... just looked like regular amber parking lights.

astein244@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic LX Manual,1995 Civic Del Sol SI 278k,1995 BMW M3 5 speed (rip),1992 SC300 5 speedl(rip),2005 Is300 5 speed(rip)
watch any review video about the new civic and the LED headlight running lights will be flashing. Its normal :)

Khellendrose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
What your seeing is a result of the refresh rate of the camera and LED being close to the same. Cameras can see the effect better than the human eye its also due to how most camera sensors work.

OP
OP
87Si89Base16EXT

87Si89Base16EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for your knowledgeable responses. I guess that was just another "Welcome to the 21st century!" moment for me.

But still creepy no matter the scientific explanation. Sure hope they don't ever convert rear view from mirror to camera, then. Emergency vehicles EVERYWHERE!!! hahaha
Sponsored