Si vs GTI vs N

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag

Everyday Driver did a comparison video that came out on July 6th versus all three of these Sport Compacts. I can't seem to find a video anywhere, not surprising though as they have gone to basically pay per view, even still on the sites they listed its still not showing. Has anyone seen this comparison? Curious to see how the Si fairs here...
Sponsored

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag

Everyday Driver did a comparison video that came out on July 6th versus all three of these Sport Compacts. I can't seem to find a video anywhere, not surprising though as they have gone to basically pay per view, even still on the sites they listed its still not showing. Has anyone seen this comparison? Curious to see how the Si fairs here...
Im following this thread, I was wondering the same thing.. Been dying to see this.

aethecarfanatic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
So I listen to their podcast regularly. They said that it will not appear on prime (to purchase) for about 6 weeks after they air on TV. They run on Saturday mornings at 7:30AM on MotorTrend (used to be Velocity). So I'm guessing this episode should be coming to prime relatively soon?

I finally got the answer you guys were looking for when listening to their podcast just this morning.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Haven't watched the episode but from this thread on a GTI forum: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=822637

Seems the consensus between the two hosts was that the GTI was 3rd. Unclear who won between the Si and Veloster N (or if a split decision).
Read through that entire thread, hilarious. Not surprised the GTI came in last place, I have driven one and found it to be a snooze, a tab bit overrated I must say. Now I wonder who they chose as first place, it'd be cool if the Si upset the N.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Im looking forward to see the video and more specificaly to know what were their selection criteria. I think it is the first time I see the new SI beat the GTi in a comparo

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im looking forward to see the video and more specificaly to know what were their selection criteria. I think it is the first time I see the new SI beat the GTi in a comparo
When Car and Driver did a comparison, the Si won as the better drivers car but they awarded the GTI the overall win based solely on interior quality, comfort and usability, which I think is ridiculous to award a car a win based on those criterias in this class.

Reactions: JMM

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Haven't watched the episode but from this thread on a GTI forum: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=822637

Seems the consensus between the two hosts was that the GTI was 3rd. Unclear who won between the Si and Veloster N (or if a split decision).
Ha ha ha I really had a blast reading through that thread. It was like the Civic X forum in reverse. A lot of people liked the Veloster but thought the the Civic is "ugly as fuck". Some people kept mentioning they crossed shopped between the Civic Si and GTI and only liked the MT. It reminded me of that Star trek episode where they beamed into a parallel universe onto the evil Enterprise

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what I saw, the Si beat the non-N GT pretty handily. This N seems pretty tame compared to the Veloster variant. With the regular GT seeming to lag behind on performance and badly on economy... I think this one would have to step up the performance side I fair tick to beat out the Civic, even though it's going to be that much further down on power. Stiff competition that makes gen X less compelling will only serve to make Honda have to answer with gen 11 and not pull another gen 9.

Even if it manages to just match it, I can see the Hyundai getting the win. People love new things and gen 10 is pushing 4 years old. Gen 8 was great and a car of the year in '06 but was getting panned by '11.

I thought the 2020 GTI was the 1st year of the Mk8 that was getting a new powertrain... or a least a bump in power to 250 on the EA888. As this is it's last year... I can see it getting similarly panned as the 'old car'.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Some GTI Forum Member said:
The N is ugly and interior is garbage. GTI is the best daily. All it needs is a rear sway, real tires and decent alignment to deliver the same driving enjoyment as the SI.
Soooo if you do a rear sway, alignment, and real tires on the Si does it stay the superior handling machine? :hmm:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
All we need are bad coils and electrical system, then we can have the reliability of a VW.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
All we need are bad coils and electrical system, then we can have the reliability of a VW.
Let's not forget excess oil consumption and leaks, radiator and overheating issues, and as I understand crappy designed water pumps that still have the same issue today as my GTi I owned in 86 had

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Soooo if you do a rear sway, alignment, and real tires on the Si does it stay the superior handling machine? :hmm:
Based on the quotes logic... sounds about right lol.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
As an owner of both I can attest that the GTI is better in nearly every aspect...

First it looks better (hatch)
It’s faster, handles better, brakes better, and overall just feels better. That being said...

It’s also almost 10k more than the Si, so for that reason I would go with an Si and throw in 5k mods and you can beat most stock GTIs probably. (Unless APR tuned, then you need to have a turbo upgrade.)

Again I owned both I still miss my GTI every time I see one in the wild. This is probably because I love love love hatches and my Si is a Sedan.

Now the ONLY way I can say an Si is better than a GTI would be for long term use, fuel economy, and also reliability. The fit and finish might be close as well. However, my GTI never rattled as much I have 2 consistent rattles from plastic pieces in my Si.

Overall if you do a dollar to dollar analysis I have to go with the Si. But anyone who says that an Si is better hasn’t driven an MK7 GTI especially with Performance Package and the DSG.

Cheers

(When driving my GTI on 87 octane it still felt faster than the Si, and with APR stage 1 and 93 octane the car pulled like a Banshee...

Now I have no empirical evidence other than my butt dyno lol)
Sponsored

Last edited: