SI vs GTI Car and Driver

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Where did you see that? I only found refresh notes for the 2019 Civic Trims that are not the SI. Would love to see what else they are bringing!
One of the bullet points in the general release is:
  • Honda Sensing® now standard on all trim levels
Granted, that's vague. I'd like to see the Si mentioned specifically. I think it makes sense (pun intended) that they'd add those features across the entire product line. Hopefully we'll get more detailed info soon.
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
What is all the fuss about Honda sensing? If I'm buying a sporty manual car, the last thing I would be thinking about is if it had all this automated tech. The only benefit I see with a manual car having that is that it may reduce your insurance because of the extra safety features. I was under the assumption that people buy manuals because they want to be more involved in the driving experience.
The only useful sensing feature, if it works well, I see is the Collision Mitigation Braking System. I'm sure we all have close call moments when we brake a little too late in traffic. I'd rather have the system stall me than hit the car in front.

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Was sensing added to the Fit manual trims during the '18 facelift? If so, then the '19 SI will def have sensing. If sensing was already available to the Fit manual trims before the '18 facelift, then it's hard to say.
Honda Sensing was first offered on the Fit for the 2018 model year.

LX 6MT - Honda Sensing not available
LX CVT - Honda Sensing available
Sport 6MT - Honda Sensing not available
Sport CVT - Honda Sensing available
EX 6MT - Honda Sensing standard
EX CVT - Honda Sensing standard
EX-L CVT - Honda Sensing standard

Curiously, the EX is the only trim with Honda Sensing and a manual transmission.

Boni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Personally I really wanted a GTI, was set on one for a year but went with the Si in the end. Here are my reasons. First of all price. I was gonna buy a used GTI but 2015s were a no go since they had issues and had no Carplay. The S model was a no go either because it really lacked the features I wanted. So in the end the SE from 2016/17 was what I wanted. Unfortunately, the used prices on these models were ridiculous. Dealers asked close to new MSRP even tho the cars were heavily discounted for the longest time. I tried looking at the Sport model but same thing, heck it was even worse. That trim went for as low as 23k otd and dealers asked for that used! My last resort was to look at new models but VW has this really stupid clause that either you get a discount and finance at 4.9% apr or you get the special financing with no discount. Ridiculous. I got quotes of 30k otd for the S model and the VA/MA/DC dealers all had 2k extra in dealer fees plus no special financing. In the end I asked myself, is it really worth it to buy a used german car with high maintenance costs or go with a brand new Civic Si. I practically put the car as not interested until I test drove one and ended up with one haha. Was looking at the Accord V6 but imo it felt too heavy.

luigi2120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
What is all the fuss about Honda sensing? If I'm buying a sporty manual car, the last thing I would be thinking about is if it had all this automated tech. The only benefit I see with a manual car having that is that it may reduce your insurance because of the extra safety features. I was under the assumption that people buy manuals because they want to be more involved in the driving experience.
It actually depends. My mom has a 2018 Camry with Sensing and her insurance was quite expensive...to say the least. The insurer told us since there is so much technology integrated, it will cost them a lot more money to replace the parts.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally I really wanted a GTI, was set on one for a year but went with the Si in the end. Here are my reasons. First of all price. I was gonna buy a used GTI but 2015s were a no go since they had issues and had no Carplay. The S model was a no go either because it really lacked the features I wanted. So in the end the SE from 2016/17 was what I wanted. Unfortunately, the used prices on these models were ridiculous. Dealers asked close to new MSRP even tho the cars were heavily discounted for the longest time. I tried looking at the Sport model but same thing, heck it was even worse. That trim went for as low as 23k otd and dealers asked for that used! My last resort was to look at new models but VW has this really stupid clause that either you get a discount and finance at 4.9% apr or you get the special financing with no discount. Ridiculous. I got quotes of 30k otd for the S model and the VA/MA/DC dealers all had 2k extra in dealer fees plus no special financing. In the end I asked myself, is it really worth it to buy a used german car with high maintenance costs or go with a brand new Civic Si. I practically put the car as not interested until I test drove one and ended up with one haha. Was looking at the Accord V6 but imo it felt too heavy.
Agree. The GTI has to be heavily discounted, as they were end of last year, or else it gets hard to justify. Also think the SE is the only way to get it spec’d now that they’ve killed the Sport. It also sucks that you have to go all the way to the Autobahn to get the Fender Audio on the MK 7.5s.

With the TSP Stage 1 you won’t miss the 2.0.

Last edited:

elijahw

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Test drove both new cars in late 2017. The only thing I loved about the GTI was its interior.

Its exterior was also nice but the Si coupe was, I hate to say it, a lot "sexier" lol :dunno:

The Si was a ton more fun to drive too, and when you consider the price difference between them, there was no way I was picking the GTI.

(Focus ST was the runner up to the Si, but that car had the worst interior out of all of them.) :eek:

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I understand the appeal of GTis but they lack soul... yes they are pretty good at everything... but just dont have driver engagement or fun factor like the Civic Si. The GTi is just too... boring.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
(Focus ST was the runner up to the Si, but that car had the worst interior out of all of them.) :eek:
In base ST1 trim, yeah, the ST's interior is pretty lame. But the ST3 interior is fine IMO, provided you like the tight-fitting Recaros. Ford's Sync3 is a very good system, and the carbon fiber trim is kinda cool.

I came close to scooping up an ST3 this summer, but then I tested an Si again, and realized it definitely drives better despite the ST's undeniable power advantage. Plus, I figured Honda would add Sensing to the Si for 2019, which appears to be happening. I probably can't make the move any time soon, but at least I've decided I'd take the Si over a Focus ST.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In base ST1 trim, yeah, the ST's interior is pretty lame. But the ST3 interior is fine IMO, provided you like the tight-fitting Recaros. Ford's Sync3 is a very good system, and the carbon fiber trim is kinda cool.

I came close to scooping up an ST3 this summer, but then I tested an Si again, and realized it definitely drives better despite the ST's undeniable power advantage. Plus, I figured Honda would add Sensing to the Si for 2019, which appears to be happening. I probably can't make the move any time soon, but at least I've decided I'd take the Si over a Focus ST.
I am too fat for the ST3 Recaros haha. Other than that it was a cool car and I was sold on it till I drove it and realized it was just too uncomfortable. Also my local ford dealers were asshats so that helped my decision.

Boni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I am too fat for the ST3 Recaros haha. Other than that it was a cool car and I was sold on it till I drove it and realized it was just too uncomfortable. Also my local ford dealers were asshats so that helped my decision.
I'm skinny and still felt too tight by those seats! They were nice but not for everyday driving. For me the interior was a deal breaker. Felt too outdated.
Sponsored