SI vs GTI Car and Driver

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
If the Si is the robot for those whose own programming is still incomplete, a car for the young and impetuous, the GTI is the machine you would choose to have your brain transplanted into after you die, thereby transcending human existence and achieving eternal life. Yes, that idea is ridiculous enough that there are researchers actually working on it. To whom we would suggest that there are few cars more livable than the GTI. It has more bandwidth than Google Fiber.
https://www.caranddriver.com/compar...i-vs-2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-comparison-test
Sponsored

Deleted member

The article makes some fair points but I don't really agree with the outcome. The GTI is great but it's hard to justify the higher cost over the Si when you consider it has poorer handling, reliability, fuel economy, interior, and exterior. The writer seems to feel the Si has a harsh ride but I'm at over 5k miles on mine and I find the ride quite comfortable. I don't think I have ever seen someone say the Si engine is too loud- quite the opposite.

OP
OP
RODSCIVIC

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
The article makes some fair points but I don't really agree with the outcome. The GTI is great but it's hard to justify the higher cost over the Si when you consider it has poorer handling, reliability, fuel economy, interior, and exterior. The writer seems to feel the Si has a harsh ride but I'm at over 5k miles on mine and I find the ride quite comfortable. I don't think I have ever seen someone say the Si engine is too loud- quite the opposite.
I think the writers points on the harsh ride and noise are terrible. I am lowered on Eibach's and it feels plush , stock is even plusher. I think Honda should do an SI-R with leather and all the crap the GTI SE comes with to blow it out of the water. Seriously, to me the interior are a wash.

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
huh got the magazine last week and read that article. I haven't drove a gti so I wouldn't be able to compare, but the fact that the Si comes with so many features at such a lower cost should have won.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Wow. One issue i have with the si is that the engine/exhaust is way too quiet.

Honda should have put a more aggressive sounding exhaust on it.

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
Wow. One issue i have with the si is that the engine/exhaust is way too quiet.

Honda should have put a more aggressive sounding exhaust on it.
Honestly stock Honda exhausts have always been kind of quiet. The thing is with previous Si models everyone would ride them out at high RPMs to get VTEC to kick in. I don't think it's possible for an exhaust to be quiet when the engine is at 7000RPM lol

I do wish there was a deeper exhaust note but hey... its not THAT bad a 4 banger.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Honestly stock Honda exhausts have always been kind of quiet. The thing is with previous Si models everyone would ride them out at high RPMs to get VTEC to kick in. I don't think it's possible for an exhaust to be quiet when the engine is at 7000RPM lol

I do wish there was a deeper exhaust note but hey... its not THAT bad a 4 banger.
True, it could be worse. It would have been nice to have a little louder of an exhaust to compensate for the absence of the vtec sound.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the magazine (yes they still make those) of this issue. I think the Si should have eked out the GTi personally... based on value features handling resale value etc.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
I can understand a couple of points, the GTI has always had a very nice cabin, not that the Si is bad but its not GTI good. Now saying it has a harsh ride or loud engine is laughable, I have to turn my music way down when I reach stop lights and traffic so I can hear my revs to shift by and the suspension is very relaxed. The stiff steering is also something I don't understand them saying, in normal mode its actually pretty squishy and vague, in sport though yes its rather stiff.

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damn it.
I was already toying with the idea of trading my Si for a GTI. This just increases that drive.

I bought the Si because I wanted a fun, fuel efficient car (and the Si is more fuel efficient than the GTI), and in that regard there is nothing wrong with it. After my Wrangler left me sitting one too many times, I decided I wanted something as reliable as possible. I realize that VW is synonymous with maintenance issues, but maybe that’s just st an old stereotype by now? I just wonder if I made the right choice, and I’ve been daydreaming about GTI’s...

FOMO is a mofo....

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The GTI is a blast and EA888 has tons of torque. In the SE trim it is really nice, especially with the leather (I have no use for Clark Plaid personally). The Fender audio is much better than the Honda system. It is also stickers $8k more (probably $5-6k more than the Si in real-world pricing). The 6/72 warranty on the 2018s is intriguing. I still think the Si is the better deal. I don’t think the difference is as great as the one writer in one article may imply. If you drove them back-to-back I think you’d come away saying that the GTI was a bit better (noticibly more powerful, bit nicer cabin). As far as how they are to own, I’m still not convinced, and at least around me, they still have a decent number of 2017s on the lot. If VW can’t sell them I doubt I’m going to have a great time unloading it. I think the GTI and Si are the two best cars under $30k right now (but the Si is the best car under $25k and I’m not much interested in an S trim GTI). It doesn’t have to be so binary. There doesn’t have to be ONE car. There can be many. It makes the world a better place. I also prefer the looks of the Si, despite what every automotive journalist in the world says. Whatever.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The GTI is a blast and EA888 has tons of torque. In the SE trim it is really nice, especially with the leather (I have no use for Clark Plaid personally). The Fender audio is much better than the Honda system. It is also stickers $8k more (probably $5-6k more than the Si in real-world pricing). The 6/72 warranty on the 2018s is intriguing. I still think the Si is the better deal. I don’t think the difference is as great as the one writer in one article may imply. If you drove them back-to-back I think you’d come away saying that the GTI was a bit better (noticibly more powerful, bit nicer cabin). As far as how they are to own, I’m still not convinced, and at least around me, they still have a decent number of 2017s on the lot. If VW can’t sell them I doubt I’m going to have a great time unloading it. I think the GTI and Si are the two best cars under $30k right now (but the Si is the best car under $25k and I’m not much interested in an S trim GTI). It doesn’t have to be so binary. There doesn’t have to be ONE car. There can be many. It makes the world a better place. I also prefer the looks of the Si, despite what every automotive journalist in the world says. Whatever.
"The 6/72 warranty on the 2018s is intriguing."------ To quote an infamously great movie, "If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I've got the spare time."

yyalb

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen Civic Si
Country flag
Though I love my SI, I actually totally agree with C&D opinion on the ride quality, cos we are both in Michigan! I haven't try GTI, but I found the ride of Focus ST much better than SI. In Michigan, ride quality of a car really means a lot LOL.
Sponsored