Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, they mentioned single mass flywheel and strengthened 4th gear. So, 4th gear is weak in our stock transmission?
I wonder the same thing

JDMpo0kie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yeah, they mentioned single mass flywheel and strengthened 4th gear. So, 4th gear is weak in our stock transmission?
I have a Single mass flywheel. My 3rd and 4th gears pull really strong.

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After seeing @CanadiaegeanBlue on the track, I guess the new LSD is pretty important too

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After seeing @CanadiaegeanBlue on the track, I guess the new LSD is pretty important too

You got me even before I had a chance to post that! I actually sent that article to Dave after seeing this thread earlier, and him and I both had a Ha! moment. For canyon driving, on-ramps etc. the stock Si LSD is fine, but it really stops you from putting power down mid-corner and come out fast on Track. Dave mentions later in the video this was also leading to understeer, whereas a clutch type differential wouldn't. I felt the car was fighting me at my last outing without the swaybar, and also at this outing with the Whiteline rear sway bar installed so I ruled out suspension and tried to fault the tires, but turns out the factory LSD just isn't up to the task...

"Perhaps best of all, the stock car’s helical-gear limited-slip differential has been replaced with a race-tuned HPD/Cusco clutch-type unit, which is much better suited to aggressive operation on high-grip tires and should tolerate regular curb hopping without complaint."

This statement above from the article by Grassroots pretty much sums it up that if you're serious about tracking your Si you do need a better unit. I'll be doing a Type R retrofit clutch this winter so if I can score either the HPD or a reputable aftermarket LSD then that would really help for next season! The FK8 doesn't suffer from this as per Dave, and I believe him. Can anyone confirm which type the CTR has through Honda part #'s or any other info available online?

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe; 1969 Honda S800M Roadster
Country flag

Can someone please explain why the mechanical LSD in our cars is inferior (on a race track, at least) to a clutch-type LSD, like the one in the HPD Si race car. Would our road cars benefit from an upgrade to this type of LSD, or it a matter of what's good on a track might not be so good on the road?

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can someone please explain why the mechanical LSD in our cars is inferior (on a race track, at least) to a clutch-type LSD, like the one in the HPD Si race car. Would our road cars benefit from an upgrade to this type of LSD, or it a matter of what's good on a track might not be so good on the road?
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/en...differential-and-whats-most-suitable-for-you/

I don't understand it well enough to explain. This article with video is pretty good

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That Borla exhaust though......
They stated,
an HPD/Borla exhaust frees up flow and reduces mass.
The stance of the tires is interesting too, as they aren't completely flat.

Honda Civic 10th gen Si racecar... because racecar 1569864654_grass_image002_mmthumb

OP
OP
86salmon

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That Borla exhaust though......
They stated,

The stance of the tires is interesting too, as they aren't completely flat.

1569864654_grass_image002_mmthumb.jpg
Dat camber doe

Some toe too, or is that just perspective
Sponsored