Country flag
Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
To follow up on this - it also say she that premium Gas is recommended but not required. So I am wondering if of the 205 hp is based on the minimum Octane ratings and if the ECU will adjust based on the gasoline you choose which is what the standard ex-t does. If that's the case I'm inclined to agree with you!
The Civic EX-T coupe/sedan and the CR-V EX and above recommend 87 octane (regular) gasoline. The Civic Sport hatchback recommends 91. The EPA fuel economy ratings are based on the use of the recommend grade (regular for the EX-T and premium for the Sport). From the hatchback's owner's manual: "Use of a lower octane gasoline [...] will result in decreased engine performance."

The 205 HP figure for the Si is almost certainly based on the use of 91 octane (premium) gasoline and the power will almost certainly decrease with mid-grade or regular due to knock.

Note that the manuals use phrases like "fuel recommendation" and "premium recommended". Nowhere do they say "fuel requirements" or "premium required". Some vehicles do, though - I had an Infiniti G that recommended (essentially, required) the use of 91 octane, as 87 could only be used "temporarily" as a partial fill provided abrupt acceleration was avoided and it was refueled with 91 as soon as possible. The Corvette Z06 recommends 93 octane! The manual says that 91 octane can be used with a reduction in performance, but the warranty doesn't cover damaged caused by the use of lower than 87 octane which essentially makes 91 octane a requirement.

Last edited:

WNCSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
The Civic EX-T coupe/sedan and the CR-V EX and above recommend 87 octane (regular) gasoline. The Civic Sport hatchback recommends 91. The EPA fuel economy ratings are based on the use of the recommend grade (regular for the EX-T and premium for the Sport). From the hatchback's owner's manual: "Use of a lower octane gasoline [...] will result in decreased engine performance."

The 205 HP figure for the Si is almost certainly based on the use of 91 octane (premium) gasoline and the power will almost certainly decrease with mid-grade or regular due to knock.

Note that the manuals use phrases like "fuel recommendation" and "premium recommended". Nowhere do they say "fuel requirements" or "premium required". (Some vehicles do, though.)

Oh ok that wasn't how I understood it, but that makes sense.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Interesting that they say the Si drinks regular (premium recommended). I wonder if the 205hp rating is on regular or premium....
Since 2007 all Si's were Premium RECOMMENDED - don't tell 9th Civic, they think I'm nuts for putting 87 in ours. 60k+ miles @ 32.9 mpg and going strong!

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
When
few things that stuck out to me on my first skim of the sales guide....

1. The Si is listed with available Navi....though to me that is redundant with apple maps and google maps available through carplay and android auto

2. The curb weight of the Si Sedan coming in at 2906lbs is nice, i didnt see the the Si coupe's weight listed...thats lighter than i thought it would be

3. Was interesting to see the standard equipment comparisons between the Si and its closest competitors...Honda REALLY seems to what to play up the value of this car and how much more its going to cost to option up a comparably equipped ST, WRX, or GTI

4. I thought it was interesting that in the comparison between the Si Sedan and WRX, Honda says the say is "much more affordable" than the cheapest WRX...the base WRX comes in at an MSRP of $26,695...now, its anybody's guess what exactly Honda considers "much more affordable," but I think its safe to say that we can expect the Si's MSRP to be a pretty attractive number based on that...

Consider
- EX-T Sedan (w/CVT) = $22,300
- EX-L Sedan = $23,800
- Touring Sedan = $26,600
- WRX Base = $26,695

since Honda considers the Si Sedan to be "much more affordable" than the WRX, so we can safely assume it will sticker for less than the Touring Sedan...I bet this thing doesn't sticker for all that much more than an EX-L...maybe less than $25k?...that would be impressive....Even though its based on the EX-T, i cant see them beating or matching the sticker of the EX-L...the wheels, turbo upgrade, LSD, suspension goodies, etc have to kick the price up a bit...but a sticker between $24k-$25k is still impressive...i always assumed closer to $26 when we were told "mid 20's"

oh, and praise the lord Honda didnt do something stupid like not offer the car in white...that would have really messed up my plans!
When we purchased our '12 Si Sedan (January '12) it listed less than the EX Sedan - you give up a few "features" to get a much more capable car. I expect the new 10th Si to list between the Ex-T & the Ex-L. What a bargain, but we'll likely keep our '12 as it's still a lot of fun!

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
When we purchased our '12 Si Sedan (January '12) it listed less than the EX Sedan - you give up a few "features" to get a much more capable car. I expect the new 10th Si to list between the Ex-T & the Ex-L. What a bargain, but we'll likely keep our '12 as it's still a lot of fun!
I would be a happy camper if it stickers less than an EX-L

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Since 2007 all Si's were Premium RECOMMENDED - don't tell 9th Civic, they think I'm nuts for putting 87 in ours. 60k+ miles @ 32.9 mpg and going strong!
Hmm... So I just downloaded the 2015 Si manual, and I'm not seeing it say "recommended", to quote:

"Fuel Type:
Unleaded premium gasoline, Pump
octane number of 91 or higher"

That said - I do wonder what "recommended" actually means and whether it is 100% safe to use 87 (yes, with a loss of a few HP) as regards long-term reliability.

I guess will just see what the 2017 Si manual says... Or, what type of gas will they put in initially.

On that note, a stupid question: who does the very first fill, Honda or dealer? I'm thinking dealer since you probably don't want to ship the car with gas in it (duh?), but not 100% sure... Anyone knows this for certain?

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Is the LSD really that much of an advantage over the torque vectoring differn

It's possible that in keeping with Honda's corporate strategy of being a "value brand" they chose to axe the navigation system in favor of CarPlay and Android Auto, since the former really does offer poor value when compared against the latter.
I think 2012 taught "much shame" to our Nihonjin friends and where the fine line between "value" and "dollar store" ends.

I am completely shocked that LED lights aren't an option. For the cost, I expected them included. Loved my previous Si but I personally don't find this body well-suited to it. I find it quite tacky to be honest. I'm probably in the minority here but I'd take my Touring all day over this Si.

Reactions: jms

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hmm... So I just downloaded the 2015 Si manual, and I'm not seeing it say "recommended", to quote:

"Fuel Type:
Unleaded premium gasoline, Pump
octane number of 91 or higher"

That said - I do wonder what "recommended" actually means and whether it is 100% safe to use 87 (yes, with a loss of a few HP) as regards long-term reliability.

I guess will just see what the 2017 Si manual says... Or, what type of gas will they put in initially.

On that note, a stupid question: who does the very first fill, Honda or dealer? I'm thinking dealer since you probably don't want to ship the car with gas in it (duh?), but not 100% sure... Anyone knows this for certain?
The '12 manual says
"...â–  Fuel recommendation
2.4L (note - there is no Si owner's manual - just a Civic Manual!)
Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher
Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noise in the
engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
Use of a gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage...."

The major requirement for us to consider purchasing the Si Sedan, 8th or 9th Generation, was that it MUST be capable of running on 87 without issue - Our Dealer provided us this info before she had the car brought to us.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
The '12 manual says
"...â–  Fuel recommendation
2.4L (note - there is no Si owner's manual - just a Civic Manual!)
Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher
Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause occasional metallic knocking noise in the
engine and will result in decreased engine performance.
Use of a gasoline with a pump octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage...."

The major requirement for us to consider purchasing the Si Sedan, 8th or 9th Generation, was that it MUST be capable of running on 87 without issue - Our Dealer provided us this info before she had the car brought to us.
Why? it's not unusual for a car properly tuned for 91 to get better fuel on 91 than 87 despite the price difference. Running 87 or 91 should not matter. What MATTERS is the resulting price per mile. I would NEVER run 87 in a car designed for 91. I'd MAYBE run 89 if I had to in a pinch.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 civic si
This only says one thing... civic si is not the focus it's the hatch..... The hatch has the special color.. Sonic grey. The hatch back is the new si without calling it so... Oh well I wasn't planning on getting one though.... Hatch in ever aspect looks more aggressive
Sponsored