First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I'm driving along in all this nasty snow we are getting and I'm noticing all these trucks ,jeeps and SUV's jacked all up in the air with no splash guards.
Of course you guys know that it made a mess of whoever is behind them and it just irritated me.
I have them on my car, I think it looks better and protects the car more.
So do you think they should be standard on all cars and not some overpriced accessory? Or may be just on vehicles raised up ?
For the coupe , they are close to 70.00 , way more than the sedan, and I'm not sure about the hatch.
Sponsored

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
Definitely on tractor trailer trucks

I drive a lot, and one of my few "near crash" experiences occurred when I was passing a tractor trailer and it launched a wave of water over my car during a rain storm. I couldn't see anything for 2-3 seconds and just had to hope I could stay in my lane and not get crushed by the truck or run into the cement highway dividers (I didn't do either).

And trucks are always kicking up rocks and debris. They are just dangerous to be around, and one of my rules of safe driving is to accelerate as far from them as I can.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
They help, but the cost is ridiculous. Probably $10 to manufacturer those pieces of plastic. My dealer installs them on every car, and marks them up $150. Even charge to install a trunk tray....holding it and bending the wrists to lay it in the trunk is labor:rolleyes:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
They help, but the cost is ridiculous. Probably $10 to manufacturer those pieces of plastic. My dealer installs them on every car, and marks them up $150. Even charge to install a trunk tray....holding it and bending the wrists to lay it in the trunk is labor:rolleyes:
It's like labor fees for changing out air filters and wipers lol... although I think I might slap someone who tells me they're charging me to "install" my trunk tray.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea, when I saw what my dealer was gonna charge, I decided to put them on myself. Took a whole 25 minutes. I still had to pay way more for them than the sedan ones though, they are available for like 25.00!

BirchyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
Yea, when I saw what my dealer was gonna charge, I decided to put them on myself. Took a whole 25 minutes. I still had to pay way more for them than the sedan ones though, they are available for like 25.00!
Want to come do mine? I tried to install them today but got stuck on the first one, the driver’s side rear. I guess I need to take the wheel off :(

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Want to come do mine? I tried to install them today but got stuck on the first one, the driver’s side rear. I guess I need to take the wheel off :(
I found that its a lot easier to install them if you jack the car up, you dont need to remove the wheel, it will just drop-down far enough to give you plenty of room. Of course mine is a coupe, three screws and one clip. I know the hatch is a little more involved from what I've heard.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Go to a different Honda, that ones a greedy dick!
In Canada the front splash guards come standard no cost. And they are a must for function and looks. Don’t want them out back, doesn’t look very nice on the coupe and they hide the sexy flash of exposed tire.
Trunk tray came with the Si, and the labor was free:thumbsup:

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Yes, a mud guard
Ah well these are legally required here. Your car would not meet legal road standard if it didnt.

As per this extract:
Effective mudguards must be fitted for all wheels on all vehicles. However, this does not
apply to a vehicle if the construction or use of the vehicle makes the fitting of mudguards
unnecessary or impractical. Examples are:
• Pole type trailers used to carry timber
• Most road making plant
• Some agricultural equipment
Mudguards may include parts of bodywork, etc. and must cover the full width of the wheels
and tyres in the case of rear wheels on trucks, buses and trailers. For passenger cars, the
full width of the tyre at the top of the tyre must be covered when the wheels are in the straight
ahead position. For motorcycles, side-cars and trikes, guards must cover the tyre section
width at all times.
Mudguards and mudflaps must be capable of deflecting downwards any mud, water, stones
or any other substance thrown upward by the rotation of the wheels. Mudguards must be
fitted to the vehicle in such a manner that, when the vehicle is unladen, the height of the
lowest edge of the mudguard, when measured from the ground, does not exceed:
• 230 mm from the ground; or
• in the case of a vehicle built to be used off road, 300 mm from the ground;
and cover the area of the wheel as shown below.
Mudflaps are not normally required on passenger car type vehicles. However, mudflaps
must be in place on vehicles where they form part of the wheelguard system such as on
some motorcycles, including motor tricycle(s), and vehicles with a tray type body.
The mudguards on a single axle trailer must provide continuous protection, for the overall
width of the tyres.

As such a Honda Civics body already forms adequate coverage to not require additional rubber mud flaps in Australia.

BirchyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T 6MT
I found that its a lot easier to install them if you jack the car up, you dont need to remove the wheel, it will just drop-down far enough to give you plenty of room. Of course mine is a coupe, three screws and one clip. I know the hatch is a little more involved from what I've heard.
Mine is a coupe as well. The clip on the bottom just isn’t in the right spot. I’ll try your suggestion.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine is a coupe as well. The clip on the bottom just isn’t in the right spot. I’ll try your suggestion.
Did you poke a hole in that little indent? If you slide that clip over it, it should be right where it needs to be.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't like the look of them on my cars, so I don't have them. If I have to drive on gravel, I don't go faster than 15mph.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Having installed OEM mud guards on every Honda I've owned since the 90's?? Don't remember when they first came available. On the 10th gen, they list for what, $105 +installation? I imagine the materials cost to Honda for 4 plastic moldings and a few screws/clips is at the most, what $10.00? Installation during manufacturing would add a minute or two (if that!) when the car is being "trimmed" Most Hondas I see on the road have them installed, so why don't they go the simple route and make them standard and add the $10-12 to the cost of the car? Probably because accessory installation is a profit item for the dealer :dunno: For most of us, it would be a no-brainer, those who don't like/want them, easily removed or replaced with another type. Until recently, after becoming semi-disabled, I used to install them myself, easy if you can kneel or have access to a lift. I'd rather them come installed and pay the $12 or so.
Sponsored