Should i Trade My Type R for a Subaru STI?

Acordova70239

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I have recently been debating on wether i should trade my car for a STI. The reason being is i live in Jersey and we had our first snow day today and i realized how i would not dare take my Type R out in the snow. I use the car as a daily and i live on a big hill and was watching how easily the 4wheel drive cars handled the snow while any other cars fwd and rwd struggled tremendously. I always loved STIs before i saw the Type R announced back in 2016. I recently got my Type r this summer and it has 5.5k miles now. Any reasons i should stir away from the STIs. I love my Type R but from a long term standpoint a 4wheel drive car does make more sense and the STI is the only car id consider.
Sponsored

IceyD

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Champ White CTR 2018
Country flag
IMO no one comes close to 'needing' AWD for winter driving. if you simply like the idea of an STI more and money isn't a concern go for it, but a CTR in the snow will still get you to your destination with negligible differences to whatever else.

spyder93090

I'm here to kick names and take ass.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Type R #20034
Country flag
If you're planning on living there, I think it makes a lot of sense especially with all the Winter-oriented features like heated seats, mirrors, and the extra safety features. Maybe it's because I just got my CW CTR last week but I feel like it's a "pretty" car whereas the Subaru is nice looking but reminds me of a "work horse"- likely from its rally background or just the nature of the implied use of Subarus in general. Although, whatever you do decide, you're giving up the hatchback, the efficiency, and the Honda reliability.

But if you do decide to go that route, they're just around the corner from updating to the global platform and from that ancient EJ25 so I'd hold out this winter and then make the move when they announce the new platform.

FWIW, I told myself from age 17 to 25, I was convinced that I would get an STi and then once that CTR was announced, it "ruined" that plan for me. Inverse to your situation, I live in sunny San Diego with no snow nor local snowboarding or lift-assisted mountain biking so I felt like I didn't need the AWD and preferred the creature comforts that the CTR had over the STi. Although, I envy the heated/power seats, the moonroof, the better sound system, and the leather seats that are available to WRX/STi buyers.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
hahaha no. The STi has a horrid flawed blow up prone 2.5 from 2005. Be serious man. Your car will be fine with just great snow tires on it. AWD is not required for snow, good tires are. Spray off the car between storms (underneath) enjoy.

leehom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, back at it again
Country flag
Used to live in Colorado and owned a FWD and RWD vehicle while I was there. Never had an issue with either one during my four years.

If you really want a STI, wait for the all new redesign model. Rumors are they will finally put a new engine/transmission in.

OP
OP
Acordova70239

Acordova70239

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
If you're planning on living there, I think it makes a lot of sense especially with all the Winter-oriented features like heated seats, mirrors, and the extra safety features. Maybe it's because I just got my CW CTR last week but I feel like it's a "pretty" car whereas the Subaru is nice looking but reminds me of a "work horse"- likely from its rally background or just the nature of the implied use of Subarus in general. Although, whatever you do decide, you're giving up the hatchback, the efficiency, and the Honda reliability.

But if you do decide to go that route, they're just around the corner from updating to the global platform and from that ancient EJ25 so I'd hold out this winter and then make the move when they announce the new platform.

FWIW, I told myself from age 17 to 25, I was convinced that I would get an STi and then once that CTR was announced, it "ruined" that plan for me. Inverse to your situation, I live in sunny San Diego with no snow nor local snowboarding or lift-assisted mountain biking so I felt like I didn't need the AWD and preferred the creature comforts that the CTR had over the STi. Although, I envy the heated/power seats, the moonroof, the better sound system, and the leather seats that are available to WRX/STi buyers.
yea before the CTR was a thing i was always an STI guy and said that the day i buy a new car and STI would be it but the CTR is so good looking. And I've been doing research ad the DTI would cost more so I'm probably better off getting proper tires for my CTR instead.

tawheed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
I've had a few STIs and the 15+ VA are the best ones of all. The AWD system is superior to anything else out there IMHO. Also, still has hydraulic steering and a direct shifter. I live in Alberta, so the winters are absolutely brutal, hence I've generally stayed away from FWD. However, I have a short commute, and with the snow we've had so far, and with good winter tires, I've had no issues in the CTR. The STI is way more FUN in the winter, lots of easy oversteer on demand.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
could not agree more. That EJ25 and the documented issues with it would be an absolute show stopper for me. And I really like the STI. Does a lot of things really well, including track days.

I do disagree that FWD is adequate in winter, compared to AWD. I have had both and there is no contest, period. True AWD (not those "on demand" systems that kick in with wheel spin), is fantastic on snow. having that free-wheeling back end on a FWD car just does not feel as safe and planted as AWD. Something as simple as pulling away from a stop with snow on the ground-worlds different with AWD.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
buy a subaru beater car.

Wouldn't get a STI until they at least put a new engine in it.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
For what its worth from a guy who lives up North (Canada), I have owned several FWD vehicles in the past and I have always been impressed with how well FWD cars handles in the snow. I would recommend trying a good set of winter tires first before thinking about switching vehicles.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 TLX
Country flag
I traded my 18 STI in for my Type-R and I will say there's no right or wrong answer. It all comes to how you feel about it.
First of all, a good set of winter tires will do better in the snow than an AWD vehicle with regular tires.
Don't forget that the STI also comes with Summer tires, so for ultimate subie experience, you're gonna have to get some winter tires for that too.

I am not a Honda guy and I bought the type-R simply because I couldn't live with a sedan anymore. Other than the prehistoric engine with some interesting MPG numbers and the rock solid suspension, I actually loved my STI.
I think what I want is a STI hatchback that drives like a Type-R lol

jmartin

Rouleur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ctr 2015 Challenger srt 2016 Yamaha R1m 2002 Gmc Lifted Duramax
There’s a big benefit to owning a Subaru in Nj. Vince Griffin aka Vince Built Engines are located in Nj one of the best Subaru engine builders in the world. Vince builds engines for some of the best rally guys and drag racers. I sometimes regret buying my ctr because in Nj 800 hp Sti street cars are the norm.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Snow tires.. get a good set and you will be fine. As mentioned, AWD on crappy tires isn't any better (I had a WRX for a few years and the stock all seasons were garbage in real snow). That said, a good set of snows on an AWD car can make them unstoppable! Lots of choices - Golf R, Audi S3, Focus RS, STI all come to mind.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
I mean you can run winter tires on the CTR but I can't imagine it would perform better than a Sti on all season tires but this is just my opinion without any true evidence. The Sti is amazing in the snow and this is coming from a evo guy. I saw a CW Type R yesterday driving in the snow and he was moving slow af, but I'm assuming he's on the stock wheel/tire setup but couldn't get a good look. I think you're good with the EJ as long as you're just doing bolt ons. I think anything beyond bolt ons you may have to build the motor to keep it from blowing up but again I'm not Subaru expert.
Sponsored