First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys,
I just negtotiated a deal for a new 19 R at sticker. I would trade my 19 Si in for payoff and get a tax break on the R. Out the door for $39.2k. Super tempted, but Si is new (1500 miles) tune, just bought wheels, tires and springs that I haven't put on yet. NIB. worth about $2400 that I'd have to sell, because R is 5x120!
Can I afford it? Yes. Does it make much sense? A bit less clear on that.
I drive to and from work, roundtrip is 6 miles, and a bit on weekends. It would be my daily, and I would most likely keep it for a long time.
Anyway, I'm not the first person to ask this question. For those of you that did upgrade, worth the extra 15k?
Thanks,
Jordan
Sponsored

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
To know if it makes financial sense, we'd need to know what your payoff is for the Si.

Like, for example, if you put $10k down on the Si, they are hosing you over.

OP
OP
jpanimator

jpanimator

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
To know if it makes financial sense, we'd need to know what your payoff is for the Si.

Like, for example, if you put $10k down on the Si, they are hosing you over.
5k down. Out the door was around 27k. Payoff is $20,100.

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
5k down. Out the door was around 27k. Payoff is $20,100.
Not a good deal, IMO. You just ate $7,000 in depreciation in only 1500 miles? That's $4.60/mile. A Ferrari doesn't depreciate that bad, nor does your Si. Go check the NADA value on your car, and I'd have to think it's way higher than the $20,100 they are offering you.

OP
OP
jpanimator

jpanimator

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
Not a good deal, IMO. You just ate $7,000 in depreciation in only 1500 miles? That's $4.60/mile. A Ferrari doesn't depreciate that bad, nor does your Si. Go check the NADA value on your car, and I'd have to think it's way higher than the $20,100 they are offering you.
Yeah
Damn good point. I’m already 7k into the car, may as well drive it for a year or two.
thanks guys!

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
25% hair cut is painful. But why did you buy the Si in the first place and what do you expect to get out of the CTR? Just have to be careful as upgrading can be a never ending, and expense, proposition.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hey guys,
I just negtotiated a deal for a new 19 R at sticker. I would trade my 19 Si in for payoff and get a tax break on the R. Out the door for $39.2k. Super tempted, but Si is new (1500 miles) tune, just bought wheels, tires and springs that I haven't put on yet. NIB. worth about $2400 that I'd have to sell, because R is 5x120!
Can I afford it? Yes. Does it make much sense? A bit less clear on that.
I drive to and from work, roundtrip is 6 miles, and a bit on weekends. It would be my daily, and I would most likely keep it for a long time.
Anyway, I'm not the first person to ask this question. For those of you that did upgrade, worth the extra 15k?
Thanks,
Jordan
Pros of the Si:
  • HondaSensing (if you feel this is a positive)
  • Sunroof
  • Heated seats
  • Heated mirrors
  • Higher gas mileage
  • Lower turbo threshold (peak torque happens at 1500RPM) creating a more playful car for everyday driving
  • Lighter chassis
Cons of Si:
  • Power sort of dies after 5k-ish RPM
  • Depreciates faster
Neutral for Si:
  • Only available as sedan/coupe
Pros of the Type R:
  • 3-way adjustable dampers (I'm not sure how the suspension feel differs since I haven't had much time behind the wheel of an Si to make that judgement)
  • Bigger brakes
  • 50% more power (rips through redline @7k RPM)
  • Better handling
  • Better power band for spirited runs
  • Depreciates slower* (this may change with 2020 coming out)
Cons of the Type R:
  • No heated seats
  • No heated mirrors
  • Lower gas mileage (close to 25% lower possibly)
  • Brake squeal
  • Rubber band tires
Neutral for Type R:
  • Hatchback only
  • Lack of HondaSensing (could be considered a con, but it's a Type R)
  • Turbo kicks in at 2.5k RPM and you have to rev it more to get the power out.
  • Slightly longer turbo lag
Basically, you're trading a lot of creature comforts for performance enhancements. Is that worth the 15k for you (plus the difference you'd end up paying with the CTR vs Si)?

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It amazes me how many people ask if it makes financial sense to trade in whatever car they have for a Type R. The answer is it doesn't. Cars are depreciating assets; you buy a Type R because you want a Type R. It's not an ultra efficient econobox that is going to pay for itself in fuel economy. If you buy a Type R you need to plan on blowing money on tires, brakes, and gas. If you don't have money to burn and you enjoy whatever car you are in, don't trade it for an R. If you can afford it and you want it, buy a Type R.

SSchmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman R, E30 M3
Country flag
It amazes me how many people ask if it makes financial sense to trade in whatever car they have for a Type R. The answer is it doesn't. Cars are depreciating assets; you buy a Type R because you want a Type R. It's not an ultra efficient econobox that is going to pay for itself in fuel economy. If you buy a Type R you need to plan on blowing money on tires, brakes, and gas. If you don't have money to burn and you enjoy whatever car you are in, don't trade it for an R. If you can afford it and you want it, buy a Type R.
But, if you are moving forward with a CTR purchase, there are good deals and bad deals for the CTR. The deal above is a bad deal. He can negotiate a better deal somewhere, if he's going to do it.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
This is true. I daily drive my car and the maintenance is very costly. I am going through this phase as we speak. Next on the list for me are front brakes and rotors. Not for performance enhancement but just routine maintenance on worn out parts. Battery replacement is after that. The parts you replaced for maintenance does not last a long time compared to your typical accord or Camry. If you don’t mind and could afford the upkeep then go for it.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
This is true. I daily drive my car and the maintenance is very costly. I am going through this phase as we speak. Next on the list for me are front brakes and rotors. Not for performance enhancement but just routine maintenance on worn out parts. Battery replacement is after that. The parts you replaced for maintenance does not last a long time compared to your typical accord or Camry. If you don’t mind and could afford the upkeep then go for it.
How many miles you have on your car where you need new rotors already? At about 33k I had to replace my rear brakes, by fronts still had like 50% on them (I replaced them to a less aggressive compound due to noise). Still on original rotors.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
How many miles you have on your car where you need new rotors already? At about 33k I had to replace my rear brakes, by fronts still had like 50% on them (I replaced them to a less aggressive compound due to noise). Still on original rotors.
I have 30k miles on mines, most of it is city and stop n go driving. So all were hard miles and usage. I changed my rears at 20k miles. My front rotors are extremely grooved and pads are at 25%. I changed out my tires to PS4’s around 22k miles so those should last a while with moderate use.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Big depreciation hit now. But, the much slower depreciation of a Type R will eventually equalize this initial hit. Assuming that you’re planning on keeping the Type R for a while. I think that the 2020’s will actually help slow down the depreciation of the 2017-2019 as it’ll have a huge price increase.

OP
OP
jpanimator

jpanimator

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for all of the responses. Some great points that are much appreciated. I've decided to pass on this deal for a few reasons. As Sschmed said, a 7k hit isn't a great look. It's actually closer to 10k, because I bought wheels, tires and springs that are going on tmrw. If I was starting at zero, I would do it in a heartbeat. But, it's a lot of money to eat on a car I've only had for 6 months.
I like my Si a lot. It's fast enough with ktuner, better tires will give me more grip, and my payments/insurance are reasonably cheap.
I think most Si owners get the Type R itch at some point or another, just depends how much money we're willing to lose to scratch it. Logic tells me now isn't the time.
-Jordan

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Good call I think that is best. I think lots of people bought the Type-R because it was the hot thing. They’re now the ones selling off to go to the next cool thing.

The people who stay around I think are either long time Honda owners who have dreamed of owning a Type-R or found it to be a great a balanced car.

If you’re not a crazy Honda fanatic I think a SI coupe with the money saved dumped into mods will be a faster car than the Type-R. But once you mod the R...
Sponsored