Should i sell my flashpro and buy ktuner if im already happy with FP?

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
  • Banned
running flashpro for months now on +6. dont have any complaints, for the most part.

lately been thinking about selling it for a ktuner 2.0. if im already satisfied with fp, is there any reason to make the switch? my thinking is if its not gonna make that much of a difference then i can avoid the hassle and just keep fp.

the reason why i went with fp to begin with was just because of familiarity and being comfortable with what ive known for years.

the 1 factor holding me back a little from switching is that ppl on here have made threads that the knock count and KC is a bit high when flashed with KT. im first and foremost concerned with reliability and longevity, so this make it a bit iffy for me. although i know some ppl have blown engines on previous hondas with fp over the years.

anyways i need your feedback. thanks.
Sponsored

farqt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si
Country flag
don't think it's worth it. i am running 19/23 with 0.49 KC on 93, but FP is also capable of doing this. if you plan on just tossing a basemap on there isn't a substantial difference between the two except that i can use the ktuner itself as a logger and real-time dataview and don't need a phone or tablet to do it. that said, buy a fire hd 8 and root it and you've got the same thing for like 50$ for your FP...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've had both and yes, I've noticed K. Control seems to fluctuate and go higher more often with Ktuner. With Hondata, I was always around .54 even with multiple WOT runs on 93 octane. With Ktuner on the same gas it's only .49 while cruising but even a couple decent jabs at the throttle will start sending K. Control higher. A single WOT run will send it close to .70 at times.

This is the only major disappointment I have with Ktuner.

On the plus side, the Ktuner quick adjustments completely change part throttle driveability compared to Hondata. Less lag for sure. The fact you can run 3 separate on the fly switchable tunes rocks. And the Tunerview app is superior to Hondatas.

Gas mileage is slightly lower with Ktuner.

For me it was a good switch coming from the CARB Flashpro. If you have the RACE Flashpro, I'm not sure the additional $650 investment in Ktuner would be a huge upgrade for you.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it would be worth it. The quick enables in Ktuner make the car a lot more fun to drive. One of the things that the enables do is keep the turbo spun up to be ready to accelerate with boost on a moment's notice. The Hondadata doesn't have anything like that.

I suggest the V1.2 instead of the V2.0 because you can leave the dongle plugged in all the time. It can then talk to Tunerview via bluetooth. I installed Tunerview on the head unit and leave it on all the time. You can leave the V2.0 plugged in too, but then you have the cable and display that you have to mess with.

I also recommend a TSP Stage tune for your Si even if you keep the Flashpro. I have the TSP Stage 2 flex fuel tune for mine and I love it.

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
I think it would be worth it. The quick enables in Ktuner make the car a lot more fun to drive. One of the things that the enables do is keep the turbo spun up to be ready to accelerate with boost on a moment's notice. The Hondadata doesn't have anything like that.

I suggest the V1.2 instead of the V2.0 because you can leave the dongle plugged in all the time. It can then talk to Tunerview via bluetooth. I installed Tunerview on the head unit and leave it on all the time. You can leave the V2.0 plugged in too, but then you have the cable and display that you have to mess with.

I also recommend a TSP Stage tune for your Si even if you keep the Flashpro. I have the TSP Stage 2 flex fuel tune for mine and I love it.
Hey just curious, you've been using the K2? with your FlexFuel e85 Conversion, have you been using e85 at the pump, do you reduce it with regular gasoline to get it down to e40, or are you just using the e85 and how has it been going?

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey just curious, you've been using the K2? with your FlexFuel e85 Conversion, have you been using e85 at the pump, do you reduce it with regular gasoline to get it down to e40, or are you just using the e85 and how has it been going?
I try to keep it around E40. It works for me to mix about 50/50 E85 and 93 to get close. I usually get down to about 2 gallons in the tank and put in 5 gallons of 93. I then top off with E85. I don't have to get it exact. Using a calculator, I figure local E85 is really E60 as the gallons put in exactly match what see on Ktuner's ethanol reading when I say it is E60. I love it! Still on a stock clutch, but I usually drive it in normal mode and only go into sport once and awhile.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I try to keep it around E40. It works for me to mix about 50/50 E85 and 93 to get close. I usually get down to about 2 gallons in the tank and put in 5 gallons of 93. I then top off with E85. I don't have to get it exact. Using a calculator, I figure local E85 is really E60 as the gallons put in exactly match what see on Ktuner's ethanol reading when I say it is E60. I love it! Still on a stock clutch, but I usually drive it in normal mode and only go into sport once and awhile.
Why not run pure E85?

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not run pure E85?
Because our fuel system can't run pure E85. E85 requires more fluid volume. Hondata gets by with running E85 by running lean at WOT. That may not be a problem since you run WOT for such short periods. I don't want to run lean.
Sponsored