1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

Should I remove the battery for storage?

Discussion in 'Civic Type R Forum (FK8 - 10th Gen)' started by DKL, Nov 10, 2018.

1. DKL

DKL Senior Member

Ne'er-do-well
    Car(s):
    '11 Tacoma '97 Supra '17 Civic LX hatch '18 CTR
    Garage Profiles:
    I like to take the batteries out of my bikes/cars during storage, but the CTR has more sophisticated electronics. Will removing the battery harm anything?

2. picklenick

picklenick Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si Coupe
    No removing the battery for a long period of time is no different than unhooking it for 5 minutes.
    Electronics no matter what kind aren't harmed by lack of power only too much power.

If you want to go the extra mile and make those batteries last for many years longer I suggest draining the electrolyte and washing the cells with water and baking soda to preserve the lead plates. Cool part is that if you do this with a fully charged battery, when you put the electrolyte back in the cells the battery will be as charged as when you drained it.

DKL thanked this.
  3. Florence_NC Member

First Name:
    Phill
    Car(s):
    2018 Type R
    You are better off to put a good long-term storage charger on it and leave it in the car. A battery sitting is a battery sitting. Sitting outside of the car is still doing damage to it.

4. OP
    DKL

DKL Senior Member

Ne'er-do-well
    Car(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    I plan to put a trickle charger on the battery, but the car's on a 4 post lift, and I would rather not have wires going up to the car to get caught or trip over. I'll remove the battery :)

5. remc86007 Senior Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    Does the temperature cycling of a battery being in a garage that is warming and cooling constantly effect its life? I would think a battery might last longer if its kept in conditioned space. There might be safety issues with that though.

6. OP
    DKL

DKL Senior Member

Ne'er-do-well
    Car(s):
    Garage Profiles:
    Part of my wanting to remove the battery, is that standard lead acid batteries will randomly puke electrolyte, which is super corrosive, and I don't want getting on anything in the engine compartment. I'll likely upgrade to an AGM style at some point.

7. wildbilly32 Member

Car(s):
    09 Toyota Rav4, 93 Nissan 300ZX, 05 Porsche C4S
    When I put my 911 to sleep in the winter I park it in a non-climate controlled garage, leave the battery in, put a battery maintainer(not a trickle charger which can actually damage a battery if left on too long), clean it, pat it on the fender with a promise to pay attention to it next spring. Your choice. Whatever works for you.

8. EnjoyDriving Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 CW FK8
    what's the difference between adding a battery maintainer and completely removing the battery and store it indoor? And the removal of battery shouldn't have any impact on the electronics, ECU and sensors, etc.

9. wildbilly32 Member

Car(s):
    09 Toyota Rav4, 93 Nissan 300ZX, 05 Porsche C4S
    Does the OM address storage for the CTR?