Should I remove the battery for storage?

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like to take the batteries out of my bikes/cars during storage, but the CTR has more sophisticated electronics. Will removing the battery harm anything?
Sponsored

picklenick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
No removing the battery for a long period of time is no different than unhooking it for 5 minutes.
Electronics no matter what kind aren't harmed by lack of power only too much power.

If you want to go the extra mile and make those batteries last for many years longer I suggest draining the electrolyte and washing the cells with water and baking soda to preserve the lead plates. Cool part is that if you do this with a fully charged battery, when you put the electrolyte back in the cells the battery will be as charged as when you drained it.

Reactions: DKL

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
You are better off to put a good long-term storage charger on it and leave it in the car. A battery sitting is a battery sitting. Sitting outside of the car is still doing damage to it.

OP
OP
DKL

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I plan to put a trickle charger on the battery, but the car's on a 4 post lift, and I would rather not have wires going up to the car to get caught or trip over. I'll remove the battery :)

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Does the temperature cycling of a battery being in a garage that is warming and cooling constantly effect its life? I would think a battery might last longer if its kept in conditioned space. There might be safety issues with that though.

OP
OP
DKL

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Part of my wanting to remove the battery, is that standard lead acid batteries will randomly puke electrolyte, which is super corrosive, and I don't want getting on anything in the engine compartment. I'll likely upgrade to an AGM style at some point.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
When I put my 911 to sleep in the winter I park it in a non-climate controlled garage, leave the battery in, put a battery maintainer(not a trickle charger which can actually damage a battery if left on too long), clean it, pat it on the fender with a promise to pay attention to it next spring. Your choice. Whatever works for you.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
what's the difference between adding a battery maintainer and completely removing the battery and store it indoor? And the removal of battery shouldn't have any impact on the electronics, ECU and sensors, etc.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
from what i read is that the car would throw a lot of errors it lost the power for a long time, and we might need to run reset and recalibration in the systems to clean off those errors. for that, i am actually thinking to get a maintainer for my winter storage

anyone actually disconnected the battery for more than a day or 2 should chime in here.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Stored mine for the winter and went with the battery minder with battery left in. Have done this for cutie a while with the Shelby with no issues.
Sponsored