Should I get a Phoenix HU?

Cartman417

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes C43
Country flag
so my stock amp went out in my sport touring. Warranty is up so can’t do that. And can’t find a replacement that’s cheap.

I was told by my car audio store that I would need a working stock amp for him to hook up an aftermarket amp.

But what if I get one of those Phoenix aftermarket HU? That should have the RCA in back for me to not need a stock amp and just go ahead and run an aftermarket amp so I can finally have working audio?
Sponsored

Triple_peaz

Brother Taresa
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si sedan, 2016 Honda pilot
Country flag
I dunno, you may lose some of your factory settings and controls

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Id just get a Sony or pioneer unit and easier to deal with..but some people sware by the Phoenix units though

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
so my stock amp went out in my sport touring. Warranty is up so can’t do that. And can’t find a replacement that’s cheap.

I was told by my car audio store that I would need a working stock amp for him to hook up an aftermarket amp.

But what if I get one of those Phoenix aftermarket HU? That should have the RCA in back for me to not need a stock amp and just go ahead and run an aftermarket amp so I can finally have working audio?
I suspect your "Car audio store" is going to charge you way more to do any install, than it will cost you to get a used (From a wreck) Amp.
You should be able to pick up a used amp for about $130 ( I bought one last December for $130 on ebay . 100% working )

Are you 100% sure it's your Honda Amp that has failed, and the problem is not in the wiring, or the Head Unit itself ... if there is any doubt that your AMP is good or bad, you should get it tested .. not something that most Car Auto Audio shops can do.

I would test it for you for free (as I have a whole Honda Infotainment system set up on a development test bed), but by the time you have paid for shipping etc, it might be just as easy to get a known working one from Ebay, or some other parted car source.

I would say, for $130, get a used one, and if your old amp ends up being ok, you have a spare, or 2 you can sell back on Ebay to offset the cost of the Phoenix unit.

-----------------------------------

I keep going Back & Forth on swapping out the Head Unit/ AMP in my Si.

The whole system is so tightly integrated and customized as a SYSTEM, that any changes will cause you to loose some functionality .. the question is, does it matter to you if you loose that functionality ??
There are Multiple "Hidden Screens" in the Honda HU, with diagnostics & customization menus. I cannot believe that Phoenix will have PIRATED all that Honda Software to put into a Honda Version of their HU.

Then, sometimes its very temping just to leave well alone, and live with a few limitations of the Honda System, and spend time with more important things in life :)

I also purchased 2 additional Honda head units on EBay ( could not resist the give away prices), and was delighted to find when I got them, that BOTH had the Garmin GPS enabled. ( The standard 2018 USA Si HU does NOT have Garmein GPS - {enabled]})

One unit has the Internal Amplifiers, the other uses the external Amp, feed and controlled by Digital serial links. (Honda Custom, made by Mitsubishi for Honda , -- over 10 years ago !!!!!!)

If the HU in my SI ever failed,, I have a GPS version I can install, and if I really want to go with a Custom Amp, I can put in the unit with its's own internal amp (that has analogue audio out), and fit that.

So I have OPTIONS to Mod and upgrade, but currently, am choosing the Option to just leave the car "as is" and just enjoy driving it, rather than taking it all apart and having the worry that it might have other issues if I mod it.

Sometimes, "Better the Devil you Know". - at least, when it works as it should !!

So far, "Touch Plastic", no issues with the Infotainment system, no A/C noise, no AM radio noise no Gear Box issues, no Clutch Issues, no gaps in panels, no issues with the TPMS (did fit an additional Direct TPMS so I could monitor actual pressures in real time), and as far as OD is concerned, that seems to be limited, and acceptable.. If the Oil gets too diluted, and does not reduce with some hard driving, it's easy enough to do a self Oil Change.

I actually find it very satisfying to drain out the old oil, and see the nice clan oil going back into the engine .. but I'm weird that way !!
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: mjh