Should I be worried that people are taking pictures of my license plate?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
A little off-topic, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a decent number of people doing this at red lights. They pull their phone out (too close for a good selfie lol) for a couple seconds, then put it away. I'm probably being a little paranoid, but is there any issue if other people post it on social media without my permission?

I have a vanity plate.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2016 Acura MDX, 2006 Acura RSX, 2016 Honda Civic coupe touring
Well, anyone with a connection in the motor vehicle department can get your name and address from your plate whether it's a vanity plate or not. I could care less, thousands of people see my plate every day, so what? I have pictures of my cars but also my motorcycle collection all over the Internet and I've never made an effort to hide my plate, I don't understand people's concern with it.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be good. Like was said, people see your tags everyday anyway. If they want your address, all they gotta do is follow you home.

Just don't do like some idiots I've seen on YouTube. I love those guys that will do something illegal, and then get a shot of their license plate in one of their vids. Real smart.

MisterEnigma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I wouldn't worry too much about it. There are more and more people who have dashcams (me included) so if someone isn't taking a picture, someone is already recording.

BoringOhio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There's some crucial information missing from this post... what does your vanity plate say? :) If it's something funny or clever then people are probably just taking pictures to share with their friends and laugh.

schen72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura RL Tech, 2008 Acura RDX Tech, 2016 Acura ILX Tech A-SPEC
If you don't want attention, don't have a vanity plate. Or anything unique about your car. I'm all about being anonymous, so I don't have any uniquely identifiable signs on my cars. Everything is bone stock. Nobody ever takes pictures of my cars.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
If you don't want attention, don't have a vanity plate. Or anything unique about your car. I'm all about being anonymous, so I don't have any uniquely identifiable signs on my cars. Everything is bone stock. Nobody ever takes pictures of my cars.
MisterEnigma is... :)

Scottdh20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ex-t, 2003 honda s2000
normal cars ...no, however, if your type of vehicle is frequently stolen then i would avoid posting it. for example i used to own a 95 civic hatch that was modified. that particular vehicle is very often stolen so yu should avoid posting pictures that include the plate because theives could track down your address and likely where the car is kept

OP
OP
Billy4202

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should be good. Like was said, people see your tags everyday anyway. If they want your address, all they gotta do is follow you home.

Just don't do like some idiots I've seen on YouTube. I love those guys that will do something illegal, and then get a shot of their license plate in one of their vids. Real smart.
Well yeah, I'm not that stupid. :) Not trying to lose my clearance, either.

There's some crucial information missing from this post... what does your vanity plate say? :) If it's something funny or clever then people are probably just taking pictures to share with their friends and laugh.
I see what you're trying to do...:rolleyes: lol. I'm fairly sure this is what's happening, hell I get a little chuckle out of it too when I see it happen. Just a tad paranoid that someone might try to steal the plate.

normal cars ...no, however, if your type of vehicle is frequently stolen then i would avoid posting it. for example i used to own a 95 civic hatch that was modified. that particular vehicle is very often stolen so yu should avoid posting pictures that include the plate because theives could track down your address and likely where the car is kept
They'd have a hell of a time trying to find me...my address literally is not on the map. Go figure.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even bone stock, mine stands out. :D
Sponsored