First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After accidentally posting this thread in the Type R forum, I've come to ask you guys for help lol. I'm looking for a short ram air intake for my 2018 sport hatchback and some advice on any good brands would be super helpful. Mainly want a little boost in acceleration when taking off and a clean sound when running the car. Any tips or any drawbacks for modding my engine with this would be greatly appreciated too
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
PRL or 27Won are well regarded, but they mainly make noise more than actually benefiting power output. Throttle response may seem a little better.

Many options available, some have been known to skew MAF readings and should be avoided.

Never bring a modded car back to the dealer. Put it back to stock if you have to bring it in for service or a recall or trading it in. Keep your stock parts.

If you really want a noticeable improvement, consider ktuner or hondata. TSP Stg1 reflash is very well regarded by myself and others on this forum.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Drop in a K&N and call it a day.

OP
OP
jaybuckets

jaybuckets

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL or 27Won are well regarded, but they mainly make noise more than actually benefiting power output. Throttle response may seem a little better.

Many options available, some have been known to skew MAF readings and should be avoided.

Never bring a modded car back to the dealer. Put it back to stock if you have to bring it in for service or a recall or trading it in. Keep your stock parts.

If you really want a noticeable improvement, consider ktuner or hondata. TSP Stg1 reflash is very well regarded by myself and others on this forum.
Yeah I've noticed most people running a hondata system but it seems so complicated that I don't even wanna try and figure it out lol, I've heard good things about it though.

Stenguyen1

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
there are literally thousands of post about intakes. a simple search will give you all the information.

Short ram intake does nothing but bring in hot air and noise.
K&N drop in filter or PRL stage 1 will be the best option.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
there are literally thousands of post about intakes. a simple search will give you all the information.

He's right. The SRI is going to give you noise, and hot air.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Yeah I've noticed most people running a hondata system but it seems so complicated that I don't even wanna try and figure it out lol, I've heard good things about it though.
Grab hondata v2 then. Its plig and play and gives you a 7inch screen so you dont need a laptop. Comes with preloaded tunes. Ezpz

JJJ

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag

Forgive my newbness butttt ...

Hot air that isn't a bad thing?

And more noise than lets say a CAI?

I'm currently trying to decide between a SRI and CAI for my EX -- with noise being the main goal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaybuckets

jaybuckets

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've heard plenty about just replacing the stock filter with a performance one and adding a silicone hose, apparently, it's cheaper and will give the same sound without the heat soaking of a SRI. I just don't know what route to take lol

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've heard plenty about just replacing the stock filter with a performance one and adding a silicone hose, apparently, it's cheaper and will give the same sound without the heat soaking of a SRI. I just don't know what route to take lol
That's what I and many others have done. PRL sells a Silicone host and AFE makes a drop in dry filter which is washable. That's what I use. I have two of the filters, I wash the old one and let it dry and replace it with the clean one. Only swap it about once a year but I stumbled upon two of them cheap. You could easily just keep the stock paper filter and swap that in temporarily while the washable dry filter dries.

JJJ

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
That's what I and many others have done. PRL sells a Silicone host and AFE makes a drop in dry filter which is washable. That's what I use. I have two of the filters, I wash the old one and let it dry and replace it with the clean one. Only swap it about once a year but I stumbled upon two of them cheap. You could easily just keep the stock paper filter and swap that in temporarily while the washable dry filter dries.
And you've noticed an increase in noise (in a good way)?

OP
OP
jaybuckets

jaybuckets

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://twostepperformance.com/prl-motorsports-2016-1-5t-honda-civic-stage-1-intake-system-black/
This is the setup you're running right? If so then I think this is my best option considering I really don't want to mess with the engine like crazy.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure where the thought that the stock airbox is slower to heat soak than an SRI comes from. My logs with my intake show contrary.

Additionally the air coming out of the turbo is much hotter than ambient, regardless of the intake. MAP has the fastest stock block tenth gen with their intake. Their intake is well known to run hot iat.

Realistically, an intake doesn't seem to add any real benefit until paired with a tune and other bolt ons

OP
OP
jaybuckets

jaybuckets

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure where the thought that the stock airbox is slower to heat soak than an SRI comes from. My logs with my intake show contrary.

Additionally the air coming out of the turbo is much hotter than ambient, regardless of the intake. MAP has the fastest stock block tenth gen with their intake. Their intake is well known to run hot iat.

Realistically, an intake doesn't seem to add any real benefit until paired with a tune and other bolt ons
What type of intake do you currently run? What I've gotten from my research is that an intake will only add a tiny difference in sound and barely anything in performance. My main worry is that the engine gets way too hot with an SRI considering that I live in South FL.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://twostepperformance.com/prl-motorsports-2016-1-5t-honda-civic-stage-1-intake-system-black/
This is the setup you're running right? If so then I think this is my best option considering I really don't want to mess with the engine like crazy.
You want a considerable amount of response then get a KTuner. For the money and what it does it's a great upgrade it is really easy to set up. I have that intake set up, but there is not much of noise difference as in the getting an intake.
I have the Ktuner with TSP STage 1 and I am enjoying it in my own way. I am not going to do FBO. Maybe muffler delete and an intake in the future and the 27won is what i am eyeing.
Sponsored