Shiny piano black gearbox cover scratches so easily. Solution?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I wonder If its possible to remove and change that part only..and how much it costs
Yes, I know one of the parts you would need is 77297-TBA-A31ZA, because I bought one of them to keep as a spare because I drilled a hole in mine to mount something between the shifter and the cupholder. I believe the other part is 54721-TBA-A84ZD.

It'd be pretty easy to swap them out. Steps 1-9 in these instructions for installing the factory console lighting kit are all you need to do to take them out to replace them. Actually, I think you can skip disconnecting the battery and removing the HVAC control panel from those steps too.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag
use your finger to polish with wax, rub it in until it disappears don't wipe any off just keep rubbing until it's clear and slick.
Yeah thats exactly how I did it with Plastx on the back of my key last night
I will try it with polish/wax
Thanks

OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag
Not this stuff, you just rub it like you polish something until you think you need a little more, or the finish is restored, then finish with the cleaner. There are good direction on the bottles and I think I remember the Amazon review have some info.
Ok then thats exactly what I did the first time
Too bad it doesnt work at all...:(

OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, I know one of the parts you would need is 77297-TBA-A31ZA, because I bought one of them to keep as a spare because I drilled a hole in mine to mount something behind the between the shifter and the cupholder. I believe the other part is 54721-TBA-A84ZD.

It'd be pretty easy to swap them out. Steps 1-9 in these instructions for installing the factory console lighting kit are all you need to do to take them out to replace them. Actually, I think you can skip disconnecting the battery and removing the HVAC control panel from those steps too.
Wow thats great!!! Thankyou so much for the info josby!!! Do you work at Honda?

Questions...
Why whould i need to replace part 77297-TBA-A31ZA ?
54721-TBA-A84ZD is the glossy piano black part right? Thats all I need no?
Do you think the steps are the same for the upper trim radio and ac unit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now I understand why the green arrow part scratches so easily and not the red arrow part!!
Its not the same part!!!
Thats weird
Same color but definitly not the same material.

Honda Civic 10th gen Shiny piano black gearbox cover scratches so easily. Solution? IMG_0602.JPG

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Wow thats great!!! Thankyou so much for the info josby!!! Do you work at Honda?

Questions...
Why whould i need to replace part 77297-TBA-A31ZA ?
54721-TBA-A84ZD is the glossy piano black part right? Thats all I need no?
Do you think the steps are the same for the upper trim radio and ac unit?
You're welcome. Haha, no, I had just installed the console lighting kit on my car so I knew that was how I had learned how to take that part of the car apart. I knew the part number was 77297-TBA-A31ZA for the small piece you highlighted in red above since I had bought one myself, and I knew how to find the part number for the other piece from having to find the part number for the first one.

Yeah, once you have those parts out, getting the AC unit out and then the radio are pretty easy. Tip: if you pull the radio out, DON'T set it directly on top of the leather shift knob as you're unplugging all the connectors on the back. I did that and it scratched the leather all up, leaving me stuck having to buy a new knob (part 54130-TBA-L82ZA). Put a towel over the knob or something first

OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're welcome. Haha, no, I had just installed the console lighting kit on my car so I knew that was how I had learned how to take that part of the car apart. I knew the part number was 77297-TBA-A31ZA for the small piece you highlighted in red above since I had bought one myself, and I knew how to find the part number for the other piece from having to find the part number for the first one.

Yeah, once you have those parts out, getting the AC unit out and then the radio are pretty easy. Tip: if you pull the radio out, DON'T set it directly on top of the leather shift knob as you're unplugging all the connectors on the back. I did that and it scratched the leather all up, leaving me stuck having to buy a new knob (part 54130-TBA-L82ZA). Put a towel over the knob or something first
Hehe thanks man.
Yeah I only need the part in green. Part in red is fine and weirdly doesnt scratch as easily as part in green...
Oh and thanks for the nice little tip :)!

OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Hey Josby, You think I need to pull the AC unit and radio out just to change the green arrow part? I dont see why...

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Hey Josby, You think I need to pull the AC unit and radio out just to change the green arrow part? I dont see why...
Oh, sorry, I misread what you wrote - I thought you just wanted to take the radio out for some reason. No I don't see any reason you would need to take the AC controls or radio out to get the green part out. You might still have to pull the trim pieces that go alongside them because of how down they go, but maybe not. Definitely try without taking them off first because they are pain to pull out at the top.

OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh, sorry, I misread what you wrote - I thought you just wanted to take the radio out for some reason. No I don't see any reason you would need to take the AC controls or radio out to get the green part out. You might still have to pull the trim pieces that go alongside them because of how down they go, but maybe not. Definitely try without taking them off first because they are pain to pull out at the top.
Yeah according to the instructions your posted I think I need to remove the right and left center console trims ..
The right and left console armrests too...
Eurgh this is a pain
Why did I use Plastx !!!!!!!! Silly silly me
That is the worst thing I could have done
Im mad at myself!
Anyways Im still trying to find a fix before resorting to removing and changing the part
Well see

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Not going to read the whole thread, but if you use Plexus on there it will hide any minor marring very nicely. Works great on the infotainment screen, cellphone etc. Little expensive but a little goes a long way.
Honda Civic 10th gen Shiny piano black gearbox cover scratches so easily. Solution? g?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYdbKiccPrWdb-AVs3eaQN5QJecrjCbSvyZIlhWbuk0U-HaBvSIaURHP3il4ZAHYZ2y8oqw2o&usqp=CAE

Rvenger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX CBP
Mine came scratched to death when I picked it up brand new. It looked like someone took a brillo pad to it. I took it to the dealer and they laughed at me basically.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This type of trim is just prone to microscratches on any car. It looks great in the showroom, but after cleaning it a few times no matter how you handle it it just looks like shit afterwards. And if the sun shines on it? Ugh.

Steven H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Ive considered pullin that part off and plastidipping it but leaving the letters. Ive also thought about making a matte black cover that would fit right over it, again leaving the letters visable. Anyone tried something like that?