Shifting to "S" for engine braking

Streetkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura integra
Country flag
Does anyone shift their CVTs to "S" mode to get a little engine braking.

My previous car was a 4sp auto integra. At speeds of around 55 if I was approaching a red at a distance I'd move the shifter down to 3 to get a little help with braking.

I've found I can kinda get the same here.

Does anyone else do this or have any comments on the extra wear from doing this?
Sponsored

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I did it when I was driving in the snow, and it worked well to slow me down. In normal driving, I'd rather use the brakes; it's less wear on the CVT (and cheaper)

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Yea I do it on our 2014. On my ST, I just "down shift" through paddle shifters as `S` mode is just a manual mode through paddle shifters

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, I'll pop into S when coming down mountains, better than riding the brakes for 2 miles IMO

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
why not just brake with your brakes? saves wear and tear on your engines/transmission. Torque converters aren't really good at sending energy backwards. Don't need to use the engine unless you are having heat issues with your pads, and even then new pads will probably help.

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
Brake pads are cheaper than CVT components and a lot easier to replace.Engine braking IMO saves brakes from overheating when traveling down a steep grade with a heavy load.My.02

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
You can, but the increased RPM's in S and L will kill your MPG's.

Just use Neutral and brake and see the MPG increase
Absolutely wrong.. If ur using s or l for engine braking.. Meaning you are not hitting the gas.. On the contrary you are getting better mpg's than if you shift to neutral. Modern cars when you let go of the gas at any speed. Although it is slowing you down due to engine braking. The fuel supply is completely shut off to do so.. Giving you maximum mpg's. As the cars engine is getting propulsion by the wheels at that point instead of fuel. However if you shift it to neutral, the cars needs to keep the engine running with idle. Wich is accomplished by spraying fuel into the cylinders.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Brake pads are cheaper than CVT components and a lot easier to replace.Engine braking IMO saves brakes from overheating when traveling down a steep grade with a heavy load.My.02
My 1989 integra (no cvt yes. But still) losts its odometer at 389000 miles.. I sold it 15 years ago and the dude is still driving it.. I prob put another 150k on it after odometer broke.. And we have no clue the current mileage.. We both used engine braking..

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And its never ever gonna go anywere near redline.. The belts are simply in a different possision on the 2 v's in the pulleys.. No extra wear imho.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And its never ever gonna go anywere near redline.. The belts are simply in a different possision on the 2 v's in the pulleys.. No extra wear imho.
Oh. And search jake break... And then realize those truckers all put over 500k miles on there trucks.. Wich are not all that different than our engines.. Since alot of them.. Eventho the cylinders are 5-8 inches wide.. Are turbo 4's and/or 6's

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
Oh. And search jake break... And then realize those truckers all put over 500k miles on there trucks.. Wich are not all that different than our engines.. Since alot of them.. Eventho the cylinders are 5-8 inches wide.. Are turbo 4's and/or 6's
Yep my Dad drove a truck for 25 years back in the 70s I traveled with him east and the Jacobs Brake was a real asset going down the other side of Tahoe into Reno.I think the Cummins engines were the first to use them in White Freightliners.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My uncle use to have a badass Peterbuilt. I use to go with him when he took it to the rodeo's and shows. Man that was fun. That thing would pull a mountain, sounded mean, and was fast for a truck. I don't know what engine, he had swapped it out. Lights everywhere, pretty paint job, velvet and wood grain inside, lots of chrome. So cool.

Off subject I know.
Same.. Went for a ride with my uncle once.. With no trailer... Was a peterbuilt with i think a caterpillar engine..... Oh my gawd!! Those are sooo fast its no joke
Sponsored