dwwartist

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic Coupe Touring (automatic). While driving in “D” how to I shift into “S”? Do I press the button on the shift and then move it into S? When in S do I press the button on the shift move it back to D?

The Honda salesman confused me, he said if I press the button on the shift going from D to S I could ruin the CVT. So, I’m not sure how to go back and forth from drive to sport mode safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Sponsored

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can pop it into sport whenever, but it is ideal to do it without your foot on the gas. I frequently pop into S by pressing the button (it wont let you without the button being pressed) and then when I'm done whompin on it i just slap it forward to D, no button. Just be careful you don't go into neutral lol.

Garlow1979

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic Coupe Touring (automatic). While driving in “D” how to I shift into “S”? Do I press the button on the shift and then move it into S? When in S do I press the button on the shift move it back to D?

The Honda salesman confused me, he said if I press the button on the shift going from D to S I could ruin the CVT. So, I’m not sure how to go back and forth from drive to sport mode safely. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
It's not sport on the cvt, it's second. The "S" stands for second.

If it's a cvt transmission the "S" stands for second (2nd) not Sport. "D" = Drive, "L" = Low, "S" = Second.

Honda Civic 10th gen Shifting into sport mode? IMG_20190625_122948_08

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have a non sport maybe this is the case. My sport touring only has D and S, drive and sport. Definitely not "second" as i have gone well over 60mph in S and this would not work if it was "second"...

Edit: Found this

Honda Civic 10th gen Shifting into sport mode? image-

Last edited:

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
S means Sport on the CVT it just sets everything a bit more aggressive with the CVT and keeps the engine at a higher RPM. S standing for second makes literally no sense there are no gears in the CVT. Shifting in and out of S and back to D while driving is no issue as it's all electronic.. the car won't hurt itself.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You need to press the button when and _only_ when you shift _to_ P, R, S or L.
You don't need the button for all the other shifts.

Additionally, you need to press on the brake to shift P to R.

(Of course pressing the button when you don't need to is OK.)

Bosco72

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic coupe sport
Country flag
People say the s does nothing on the sport.when I put it in s the car pulls so much better then d.just like when I use the paddle shifters so much more fun to drive

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Well, Honda kind of takes advantage here of the ambiguity of the S. Other cars use S for Sport and sporty driving does include using lower gears or delayed shifting. So although Honda ATs traditionally used S meaning second, there is no harm in treating it as Sportish.

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use "S" to get outta dodge. Love the mode I just use it much as the speed limits near me are between 25-35 mph :-( Fun mode though.

OP
OP
dwwartist

dwwartist

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I just want to say thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate it.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
For me, when it is on "S", it seems to keep the RPM at (iirc) 4,000 on "automatic".
Also, if you press the paddle shifter, it keeps it on (for the lack of better word) simulated manual - i.e. it does not switch to "automatic" unlike in "D".

Sorry if my terminology is confusing.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
If S stands for Sport, show me in the manual or any official text.

It's not sport.

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Accord Sport 2.0/A10, 05 Civic LX
Country flag
It's not sport on the cvt, it's second. The "S" stands for second.

If it's a cvt transmission the "S" stands for second (2nd) not Sport. "D" = Drive, "L" = Low, "S" = Second.

IMG_20190625_122948_08.jpg
R stands for RACE too. Use it on the fly!

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
If S stands for Sport, show me in the manual or any official text.

It's not sport.
"S-Range Control
To allow the driver to alter the operation of the CVT, the console-mounted gear selector includes an "S" or Sport mode that provides a sport-shift schedule that delays upshifting for more available power, and provides greater engine braking."

from here: https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-powertrain?page=2

It is confusing because most documents just say s mode, but there literally is no second gear in a CVT.
Sponsored