Shifter Fights Me from 1st to 2nd

Does your shifter hit a "wall" that delays your shifts from 1st to 2nd?

• Yes

Votes: 33 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 61 64.9%

• Total voters

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi All. My Type R currently has about 6500 miles on it. Since Day 1, it has feel like I have to fight through a solid wall when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. This delay is only present between 1st and 2nd - 3rd to 4th is crunchy but immediate. This wall is present whether I'm shifting fast or slow, at high RPM or low RPM. I've adjusted the push rod behind my clutch to remove the pedal free play and swapped my trans fluid to Amsoil, but this wall remains unaffected. The '17 SI that I traded in for the R had the typical 10th gen crunchy even gear shifts, but never had a spot between 1st and 2nd where the shifter gets stuck for a second.

I was all beginning to accept this as an unfortunate quirk of the car, when I had the opportunity to drive another Type R belonging to a friend. His shifter slides immediately from 1st to 2nd gear, no invisible wall at all. Shifts from 1st into 2nd are immediate and without delay, just like they were on my '17 SI. He is also running Amsoil like me, but otherwise has no additional aftermarket parts.

Do you guys have this delay between 1st and 2nd on your R, or is your's immediate? Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Sponsored

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't have a "wall" on mine. I do have the 5th-4th lockout sometimes on the highway though. I would try to see if maybe something is getting into the path of the shifter or maybe on top of the tranny??? It seems to me something is binding up somewhere. If you don't see anything, I would bring it to the dealer.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't have a "wall" on mine. I do have the 5th-4th lockout sometimes on the highway though. I would try to see if maybe something is getting into the path of the shifter or maybe on top of the tranny??? It seems to me something is binding up somewhere. If you don't see anything, I would bring it to the dealer.
Thanks for the reply. I've gotten the 5th to 4th lockout once - it feels exactly like that, if the lockout were to spontaneously vanish after a half second. I go to shift, lockout for 0.5-0.75 secs, then it slots in 2nd. It only doesn't do it if I creep forward in 1st and immediately short shift into 2nd at like 3 mph.

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
My 1-2 shifts were crunchy. Not a wall like you mentioned, but felt bad.

I turned off rev matching and everything felt better, except 3-4 is a little worse, but overall, it was an improvement.

Give that a shot and see if it's the same for you.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I don't know if i would call mine a wall but it does struggle to go from 1st to 2nd. I have learned to live with it. I also have the 3rd to 4th crunch.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
My 1-2 shifts were crunchy. Not a wall like you mentioned, but felt bad.

I turned off rev matching and everything felt better, except 3-4 is a little worse, but overall, it was an improvement.

Give that a shot and see if it's the same for you.
I have been meaning to turn off rev match and just do it myself but too lazy to order the acuity throttle pedal spacer lol

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
I have been meaning to turn off rev match and just do it myself but too lazy to order the acuity throttle pedal spacer lol
I have no idea what that is. you can turn it off from the system infotainment.

Hopefully we're talking about the same thing...

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I have no idea what that is. you can turn it off from the system infotainment.

Hopefully we're talking about the same thing...
AHa xD Nooo, it's a spacer to put your gas pedal more up and closer to the brake pedal. Easier to heel-toe!

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
AHa xD Nooo, it's a spacer to put your gas pedal more up and closer to the brake pedal. Easier to heel-toe!
Oh, I got used to it! I also have small feet, although maybe some of it is ankle flexibility :)

Cheers

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Hoping this will fix that problem, will report back once I have it installed next year lol. Iā€™ve never had a smooth 1-2 shift in this car no matter what method I try, hell Iā€™ve even experienced the occasional 1st gear lockout.

Honda Civic 10th gen Shifter Fights Me from 1st to 2nd 1B5E2254-917F-4543-B34C-6834D65295F1

2RBO_FK7

First Name
Jaemiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hoping this will fix that problem, will report back once I have it installed next year lol. Iā€™ve never had a smooth 1-2 shift in this car no matter what method I try, hell Iā€™ve even experienced the occasional 1st gear lockout.

1B5E2254-917F-4543-B34C-6834D65295F1.jpeg
Bro whatā€™s that for? Iā€™m experiencing on my 1st gear coz every time i put it on 1st gear itā€™s like hitting something that is not aligned but itā€™s only happening on 1st gear and one time I cannot put it on 1st gear i had to push again the clutch to make it on 1st gear, any idea? Iā€™m on my 50 miles

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Bro whatā€™s that for? Iā€™m experiencing on my 1st gear coz every time i put it on 1st gear itā€™s like hitting something that is not aligned but itā€™s only happening on 1st gear and one time I cannot put it on 1st gear i had to push again the clutch to make it on 1st gear, any idea? Iā€™m on my 50 miles
Itā€™s a modified clutch master cylinder I bought from Eman.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/motul-gear-300-e-man-modified-cmc.26604/

Yeah I would occasionally get first gear lockout even though the clutch pedal is pressed all the way to the floor, other members that I know are having the same problem.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

6starwars

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR, 2017 Tacoma
Country flag
I would take the car to the dealership and have them ride with you. Our cars have similar mileage, and Iā€™ve gotten the 1>2 crunch approximately five times. My crunch was only happening at higher RPMs, however. I havenā€™t had another since slowing my shift speed and being a little less aggressive. Your issues are much bigger, of course.

SilentMonkCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
This has happened to me but only if I have error on my part. Not pressing the clutch in fast enough before I go to shift. Since I've adjusted my times on when I move my foot and hand. I haven't had the issue. I will say better fluid in the transmission would probably help this. Honda fluid is junk imo. Always has been.
Sponsored