amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
On Friday I changed the stock metal shifter knob to a Mishimoto carbon Fiber knob, as the stock knob keeps burning my hand on hot days. I had a hard time unsnapping the boot ring, and finally was able to exposing the nut. Unfortunately I did not have the 14mm wrench to untighten the nut and resorted to using an adjustable pliers.

I was finally able to loosen the bolt, but unfortunately the nut got a little stripped by the plier teeth, and now the ring that holds the boot cover up randomly comes off. I have pulled it back up several times and I can feel the snap, but it will randomly come off and the boot will fall down. My question is, is it the nut that holds the boot ring in place? Will have have to replace the nut that holds the shifter knob in place? If anyone has a fix for this it would be appreciated
Sponsored

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I changed my stock to a skunk 2 ... When I put the boot back on it did not look right either ... Untill ... I realized it actually clicks upward TWICE! Try pulling up hard to lock it in place. Maybe it's only have done?

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I changed my stock to a skunk 2 ... When I put the boot back on it did not look right either ... Untill ... I realized it actually clicks upward TWICE! Try pulling up hard to lock it in place. Maybe it's only have done?
I am pretty sure I pulled it up as far as it goes, but I will try again to see if I can make it click twice

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
I had issues until I realized I had reinstalled the nut upside down. The non-threaded part goes on the bottom, apparently.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had issues until I realized I had reinstalled the nut upside down. The non-threaded part goes on the bottom, apparently.
I actually never removed the nut. I only loosened it so I could unscrew the shifter knob. I pulled the boot up as much as I could with all my strength, I think the nut getting stripped is the issue as I had a hard time taking it off the first few times when I was trying to find the right tool to loosen the nut

adammm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the same issue with that shift knob. I unscrewed it slightly and was able to lock the boot back into place. It took me way too long to figure that out.
Good luck!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks, it's definitely either a damaged boot ring or the 14mm nut. I tried everything, one little tug and the boot comes off. I will look at the Acuity collar upgrade
It's pretty simple to install, lots of YouTube videos, takes less than 10 minutes, just need a pry tool And Phillips head.

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
It's pretty simple to install, lots of YouTube videos, takes less than 10 minutes, just need a pry tool And Phillips head.
Here is a picture of what it looks like installed on mine, shift knob has changed since this pic however you can have multiple different setups using this aftermarket boot collar, comes with 2 different nuts for mounting your shift knob depending on the style.

Honda Civic 10th gen Shift boot keeps coming off 0B81001A-80C4-4C1D-9256-CE1C1E0E25FF

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
I had the exact same thing happen to mine with a knockoff ITR knob. The bottom wasn't completely flat, so the shift boot would click, but was constantly being pushed down by the "not flat" bottom of the shift knob. I just added a washer between the collar and shift knob; fits perfectly now. Unless you really did strip the collar, then you might be outta luck.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had the exact same thing happen to mine with a knockoff ITR knob. The bottom wasn't completely flat, so the shift boot would click, but was constantly being pushed down by the "not flat" bottom of the shift knob. I just added a washer between the collar and shift knob; fits perfectly now. Unless you really did strip the collar, then you might be outta luck.
Thanks, it's fixed now. I lowered the nut that holds knob as far down as it would go, put the knob on but didn't tighten it completely (one or two turns less) then tightened the nut, but did not make it completely tight. Now the boot collar is holding. It's not perfect but not falling off anymore. I have the Acuity boot collar upgrade, I will install it one of these days when I have time to disassembled my center console
Sponsored