Share Neat Yet Obscure Features of Civic Type R

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Is there some way to turn off the "hill start assist system"? It makes parallel parking on a hill extra challenging.

Hopefully, the CTR does not force you to engage the parking brake? I'm not big on electronic parking brakes, and I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to use any kind of parking brake in the last 20 years. I am hoping the CTR does not make me start now?
The CTR has a manual transmission. If you do not use the parking break you are at serious risk for the car rolling away when parked on a hill, even if you put the transmission it in reverse (as you should).
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe i was just taught differently but even when I drove automatic cars I ALWAYS used the parking brake after I parked the car. In the Type R I engage the brake and once the car is off I throw it into first gear for extra safety.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Is there some way to turn off the "hill start assist system"? It makes parallel parking on a hill extra challenging.

The CTR has a manual transmission. If you do not use the parking break you are at serious risk for the car rolling away when parked on a hill, even if you put the transmission it in reverse (as you should).
the hill start assist can't be turned off. Just get used to letting go of the brake and waiting a little bit before you try to start moving.
Maybe i was just taught differently but even when I drove automatic cars I ALWAYS used the parking brake after I parked the car. In the Type R I engage the brake and once the car is off I throw it into first gear for extra safety.
I see plenty of people who doesn't use the parking brake after putting the gear to P...
My first car was a stick shift so I have a habit of always pulling up the parking brake no matter what car I drive.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bumping this up to the top for any new owners who may not have seen it. I found it because I couldn't remember the process for parking brake auto engage or disengage and when I've tried either in the past, I couldn't get it to work. Turns out you do have to give it a little gas, with your seat belt on, to release it automatically from a parked position. I usually just let the anti-stall get me going because it's smoother, but now I know. And I've been using brake hold more often, so now knowing that it will engage the parking brake automatically if the car is in neutral and I shut it off? I'll try to just use it all the time now. Great features.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
Bumping this up to the top for any new owners who may not have seen it. I found it because I couldn't remember the process for parking brake auto engage or disengage and when I've tried either in the past, I couldn't get it to work. Turns out you do have to give it a little gas, with your seat belt on, to release it automatically from a parked position. I usually just let the anti-stall get me going because it's smoother, but now I know. And I've been using brake hold more often, so now knowing that it will engage the parking brake automatically if the car is in neutral and I shut it off? I'll try to just use it all the time now. Great features.
I'm pretty sure I always put my seat belt on before I disengage the parking brake. Never comes off by itself. Do you have to have "brake hold" on for this to work?

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I always put my seat belt on before I disengage the parking brake. Never comes off by itself. Do you have to have "brake hold" on for this to work?
When I just did it, this is exactly what I did:

Turned car on (car was in neutral)
Fastened belt
Put car in gear (R)
Let out clutch only - no brake disengagement
Let out clutch and applied gas - parking brake disengaged automatically

Not sure if that helps? But in reverse, I:

Engaged brake hold
Backed out of garage
Pulled back in
Shifter in neutral, foot on brake
Car off
Parking brake engaged automatically

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
There was a video that described this being a feature. When you have the belt on and go into reverse or 1st with the parking brake up and put enough torque towards the wheels, it will disengage the parking brake automatically. I'm not sure what the torque threshold is though. Shouldn't have anything to do with brake hold as that isn't engaged when you restart your vehicle. I haven't personally done it myself since I tend to creep when exiting a parking spot.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
There was a video that described this being a feature. When you have the belt on and go into reverse or 1st with the parking brake up and put enough torque towards the wheels, it will disengage the parking brake automatically. I'm not sure what the torque threshold is though. Shouldn't have anything to do with brake hold as that isn't engaged when you restart your vehicle. I haven't personally done it myself since I tend to creep when exiting a parking spot.
It's pretty low, I use it to pull away from being parked every day, pretty slowly and smoothly. However doing that from a parallel parking spot would be a different story, possibly.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
2 things...

Its going to be hot soon: While you are walking up to your car and you want to roll down all 4 windows click your unlock button on your key fob one time then hold it down for a second time and all 4 windows will go down. I have done this when I was about 50 feet away.
Just a quick fyi: Another thing I noticed when I was following a friend that has a CTR, I noticed no matter how hard I tried I could not see the rear spoiler. It lines up with the roof of the car and makes it blend in. I got him to follow me while I was driving my CTR and he confirmed this oddity...
Check it out.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
2 things...

Its going to be hot soon: While you are walking up to your car and you want to roll down all 4 windows click your unlock button on your key fob one time then hold it down for a second time and all 4 windows will go down. I have done this when I was about 50 feet away.
Just a quick fyi: Another thing I noticed when I was following a friend that has a CTR, I noticed no matter how hard I tried I could not see the rear spoiler. It lines up with the roof of the car and makes it blend in. I got him to follow me while I was driving my CTR and he confirmed this oddity...
Check it out.
I definitely prefer the rear visibility on the Type R versus my previous '17 SI Coupe. I got used to it, but the spoiler on that car was right smack in the middle of the window.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive in Comfort mode...
Given that the pavement in the Northeast feels like there was a massive earthquake that no one ever cleaned up after, I am grateful for comfort mode.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
2 things...

Check it out.
Are you saying you can't see the spoiler of the car in front of you? Must be CBP?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Are you saying you can't see the spoiler of the car in front of you? Must be CBP?
At night, the spoiler is actually very difficult to see from behind. The side fins of the spoiler are a similar shape to the C-pillars (from that angle of view) so it can be mistaken for that while the spoiler itself blends into the rear windshield. It isn't until you get very close that you can tell the spoiler is there.

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
When I just did it, this is exactly what I did:

Turned car on (car was in neutral)
Fastened belt
Put car in gear (R)
Let out clutch only - no brake disengagement
Let out clutch and applied gas - parking brake disengaged automatically

Not sure if that helps? But in reverse, I:

Engaged brake hold
Backed out of garage
Pulled back in
Shifter in neutral, foot on brake
Car off
Parking brake engaged automatically
Also, if your car is running, brake hold is engaged, and release your seat belt, the parking brake will engage automatically.
Sponsored