Share Neat Yet Obscure Features of Civic Type R

civicArrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
On you current manual guide there is a website listed if u want a copy of the original true manual that includes the type r i logged in it was free for the first copy ., they make you input your vin.
Thanks to you and Longrun

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Is there a way to always be in comfort mode when you turn the car on? Or will it always start up at sport mode?
The Motec tuner allows you to do this.

This feature has been requested of both KTuner and Hondata by the community.

So, while there is no way to start in a specific mode from the factory, there are ways to do it.

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive in Comfort mode...
I live in New England and the roads are horrible. I like the response in Sport Mode and it feels weak and laggy in Comfort. (As it should)

However with the exception of a fun off ramp excursion or Sunday afternoon drive on a nice twisty road the stiffer suspension offers nothing. I daily drive the car and don't need it. I'm not worried about body roll when dodging shopping carts!

I would love another mode where we could get the softer suspension with all of the throttle response.

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
If any point if the VSA is on when tracking, don't you go through a lot of brake wear? I'm sure it engages under high stress situations (track) which I can't imagine would be that great. Thanks for the info.
I haven't noticed any abnormal brake wear. With autocross you are a quick stab to the brakes to get the car to setup for whatever you are trying to do next so it is not a concern of mine.

Then again there was run 3 day 2 at Dixie :oops: but ya know, I'm learning to handle the speed in transitions better now.

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the US, it doesn't (the windows, however, will go down with the remote). This is true for other Hondas and other manufacturers in the US . . . . it's a safety thing, to make sure someone sticking his/her body part out of the window when a driver is using a remote to close the window, is not injured. Us Americans need to be protected from doing stupid stuff, or we will sue for a trillion dollar judgment.
Assuming the R works the same way as my Si...

Pop the key out of your fob, and place it in the driver's door. Turn the key towards the front of the car and hold it; the windows will roll up.

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not really a unique feature, but something I feel I should point out: the emergency fuel filler door lock release cord. It is explained on the 2017 Owners Manual page 657. I broke it twice. :(

The fuel filler door has a lock on it that activates with the door locks. I think it unlocks in sync with the driver's door, but I'm not sure; definitely it unlocks when you unlock all the doors. Anyway, in case the power lock stops working, there is a release cable accessible from the hatch compartment that manually unlocks the door. There are a few things to know:
  • The mechanism is fragile. A strong pull on the cord will break it before it hurts your hand.
  • It only operates the lock. The fuel filler door does not pop open when you release the lock. You still have to pop it open by pressing on it.
  • There is no indication of whether the fuel filler door is locked or not. You cannot tell by looking at the door or by looking at the release cable. You just have to trust that if you pull on the cable until it gives stiff resistance (which will be immediately if the door is already unlocked) that the door is unlocked.
It would be better if there were some kind of click or spring or something to let you know that the cable was at the end of its travel, but it is what it is. The good news is that you should never have to use it.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Not really a unique feature, but something I feel I should point out: the emergency fuel filler door lock release cord. It is explained on the 2017 Owners Manual page 657. I broke it twice.
Like in your OP no one should need to use this for any reason unless battery is dead, but if battery dead no need fill with gas or be at a gas station anyway. So my question, how and why have you needed to and broke yours twice?

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Like in your OP no one should need to use this for any reason unless battery is dead, but if battery dead no need fill with gas or be at a gas station anyway. So my question, how and why have you needed to and broke yours twice?
When I get a new car I familiarize myself with all the features, including the emergency features. I try out all the emergency features that are safe to try (I did not, for example, try the fix-a-flat) so that when an emergency comes, I know what to do. In that vein, I tried the fuel filler release. And what happened was: nothing. So I pulled harder until something happened, not realizing that the something that was happening was that I was stripping the mechanism. After I broke it the second time, the tech showed me what I was doing wrong, and now I can operate it correctly. I also know how it should feel and how not to break it a third time.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I hate the parking brake too. I like it on my wife's HRV, but it feels unnatural in the CTR particularly because I have to press the brake pedal rather hard for it to disengage the parking brake (in the HRV only a light touch is required).

I discovered somewhere in the settings that you can turn the annoying woman off. It still beeps at you if you don't press the pedal hard enough or at all, but at least that way your passengers aren't informed of your inability to remember how to drive your car haha
Hopefully, the CTR does not force you to engage the parking brake? I'm not big on electronic parking brakes, and I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to use any kind of parking brake in the last 20 years. I am hoping the CTR does not make me start now?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully, the CTR does not force you to engage the parking brake? I'm not big on electronic parking brakes, and I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to use any kind of parking brake in the last 20 years. I am hoping the CTR does not make me start now?
When I put the gas/brake pedal pressure display on, I find that when I press the brake I’m only pressing it hard enough usually to exert 4 psi of pressure (assuming I’m reading it right). There is a lot of pedal travel left and I assume the HR-V is less stiff and therefore the pedal travels more with less force because it’s not packing massive Brembos.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
No. And if you do have it engaged all you have to do is put it in gear and drive off and it'll disengage automatically (as long as your seat belt's on).

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
No. And if you do have it engaged all you have to do is put it in gear and drive off and it'll disengage automatically (as long as your seat belt's on).
ah, that is a great tip....Thanks!
Sponsored