Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
The title says it all. It would be great to share some neat or thoughtful features of Type R that many/most owners are not aware of. Yes, I imagine that some or all of these features might be in the owners' manual somewhere, but we are trying to highlight them for (normal) folks who do not go page to page on the owners' manual.

I will start with a few:

1. When you have your front wiper on, if you put the car into reverse, the rear wiper will come on automatically.

2. When you have your brake hold turned on via the switch, come to a stop and kill the ignition, then the electronic parking brake will come on automatically. Saves you a step.

3. After you enter the car and start the car, if you put on your seatbelt first, you can start driving (or reversing) without having to turn off the parking brake (if it was on before your turned off the car). Saves you a step.

Share some!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For former BMW owners, there is a stalk on the left side that if you flip it up causes lights to indicate a right turn, and down indicates a left turn. These are called turn signals, which I'm not sure BMWs come with.
I have had a few of those, but in mine the stalk all fell off after a few years. But no one signals in Boston, so no worries.

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
The title says it all. It would be great to share some neat or thoughtful features of Type R that many/most owners are not aware of. Yes, I imagine that some or all of these features might be in the owners' manual somewhere, but we are trying to highlight them for (normal) folks who do not go page to page on the owners' manual.

I will start with a few:

1. When you have your front wiper on, if you put the car into reverse, the rear wiper will come on automatically.

2. When you have your brake hold turned on via the switch, come to a stop and kill the ignition, then the electronic parking brake will come on automatically. Saves you a step.

3. After you enter the car and start the car, if you put on your seatbelt first, you can start driving (or reversing) without having to turn off the parking brake (if it was on before your turned off the car). Saves you a step.

Share some!
For #3, I tried to start driving the car with the ebrake (now the E is for electronic? hahah) to get into the garage and didnt go anywhere. Just burned my clutch a little. Looks like the key bit is to use the seatbelt.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
For #3, I tried to start driving the car with the ebrake (now the E is for electronic? hahah) to get into the garage and didnt go anywhere. Just burned my clutch a little. Looks like the key bit is to use the seatbelt.
your right. The seat belt has to be on for it to automatically release.

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, sir.

After 4 months, I still try to pull out of the garage and get stuck on the parking brake (with the annoying woman uttering, "f-ing idiot, please release the parking brake while stepping on the brake"), because I tend to start reversing before I put on the seatbelt. I soooo wish we still had a physical parking brake, though you'd think that after driving the car everyday for 4 months, I'd wise up.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Yes, sir.

After 4 months, I still try to pull out of the garage and get stuck on the parking brake (with the annoying woman uttering, "f-ing idiot, please release the parking brake while stepping on the brake"), because I tend to start reversing before I put on the seatbelt. I soooo wish we still had a physical parking brake, though you'd think that after driving the car everyday for 4 months, I'd wise up.
Half the time I am not pushing down on the brake hard enough when I hit the button that really annoys me.

fk8_#798

First Name
pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 civic is fully built engine and tranny supercharged e85 , 2017 civic touring 1.5t sedan., 2017 civic type r hatchback 2.0 turbocharged
if you put the car on R mode and press traction off ., wait for the original two beeps and keep holding it dont let it go. wait for an additional two beeps and it will fully disable vsa/traction for racing., the dash will say VSA FULLY DISABLE ., only for R MODE will not work on sport or normal.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
For former BMW owners, there is a stalk on the left side that if you flip it up causes lights to indicate a right turn, and down indicates a left turn. These are called turn signals, which I'm not sure BMWs come with.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Scott SiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #232, 2003 Accord 6-6, 2010 Accord 6-6
Vehicle Showcase
I think most people know this but if you tap on the turn signal it will give you three blinks, as an indication you are going to change lanes. Push further and the turn signal stays on.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes, sir.

I hate the parking brake too. I like it on my wife's HRV, but it feels unnatural in the CTR particularly because I have to press the brake pedal rather hard for it to disengage the parking brake (in the HRV only a light touch is required).

I discovered somewhere in the settings that you can turn the annoying woman off. It still beeps at you if you don't press the pedal hard enough or at all, but at least that way your passengers aren't informed of your inability to remember how to drive your car haha

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Another one. If you have shifter in neutral and your seatbelt on and then unbuckle your seatbelt it will automatically apply the electronic parking break. I have only achieved this once. Haven't tried to duplicate it yet.

I believe thats what happened. I will try again tonight.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Another one. If you have shifter in neutral and your seatbelt on and then unbuckle your seatbelt it will automatically apply the electronic parking break. I have only achieved this once. Haven't tried to duplicate it yet.

I believe thats what happened. I will try again tonight.
if you have the brake hold activated and unbuckle your seat belt that will happen.

DevilDoc8542

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R Polished Metal Metallic #9206, 2018 Ford F 150 Raptor Lead Foot Gray
and Audi too
Shoot just about any luxury car. Especially Mercedes in her Porsche, Porsche in her Lexus, Alexis in her Infiniti, Barbie in Bimmer, and Staci in her VW Turbo Beetle.

Last edited:

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
"3. After you enter the car and start the car, if you put on your seatbelt first, you can start driving (or reversing) without having to turn off the parking brake (if it was on before your turned off the car). Saves you a step."

Well this explains things.

Neat post.

All I know is when I am not in R mode out on an autocross course the car feels like a boat in Sport mode. lol
Sponsored